Traveling With Older, Unwell Hound

We have had a trip planned to look at colleges for several months. My son has appointments and interviews set up with these schools. Meanwhile my greyhound, who was in pretty good shape when all of this was planned, has developed some serious issues. I wouldn't choose to travel with him like this. Anyway, once we get to North Carolina I will feel better as the kennel where we got him is there, I know other greyhound owners and a greyhound savvy vet. BUT, it is getting from Texas to NC that has me concerned. Any advice? I have his records and plenty of his meds. He likes to travel and wants nothing more than to be with his family - we'll all be together so that should be comforting to him. Has anyone had to find a vet while on the road?

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Haven't done it but would recommend carrying extra water and ice and a good first-aid kit with meds (Benadryl etc.). Which you probably intended to do anyways.

Depending on his issues, I wouldn't make too many *dog* stops along the route.

It would be worthwhile to scope out some emergency vets along the way, just in case.

I'm sorry your boy isn't doing well.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would look up any university vet school along your route. Then look for large animal clinics. Those are you best bets to have an emergency vet around. Mark them all on your map, get their phone numbers. And it might not be a bad idea to give them a call just to make sure what they're like.

Also, give out your route here and ask GTers if they have a vet they trust in their area that you're traveling thru.

If you go thru NJ I have several recommendations.

Good luck.