Need Help With Temperature Issues

Hello!!! Just a question for people up north who don't have central air. During a heat wave, can your dogs

manage the heat ok?? My girls are used to the house being 75 degrees with the ac. it broke today, and we'll

have to wait a couple of days for a new one. The house might stay at around 80 overnight. Is this do-able for

greyhounds??

Thanks for sharing your experience,

tracy

2rqyqhd.jpg

They should be fine. Fans will help.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Zizi

Seems that my girl would hate! She does not like to be out in the heat at all. I am sure they would be ok but I would be bothered because I know she is not a dog who likes it warm!

Robin would be miserable, but he really can't handle heat at all, especially now that he's older. It is safe, I think, but he just doesn't settle when the temp is above 70 these days.

I bet if the girls are used to 75, they will be fine. A bit hot, like you will be, but fine.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

my daytime indoor temperature is a cool 80 degrees. night time for sleeping I splurge and go down to 78. keep in mind my outdoor temperature is 113 in the summer!

we don't do much other than sleep.. and we do that just fine at 79 degrees in doors. my kids don't typically pant until it's 82 inside and believe it or not it feels cool...

all that said our humidity is typically 5% (monsoon season we get up to a whopping 40% during the day) and it makes a huge difference

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Should be just fine for normal healthy dogs. Fans and the occasional spritz with water will help.

Carrie has mild laryngeal paralysis so anything more than about 85 is too much for her to handle and she gets raspy. As soon as the weather gets close to 80 I put my AC units in for her. She is 14 and VERY hairy for a greyhound so she also enjoys having her own personal fan blowing toward her bed :P

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I don't consider turning on the ac until it gets to the upper 80's at least. Of course, it helps that my first floor is partially below grade and stays <80 at all times, so if we really want to cool off, we can go down there.

In the situation you describe, a difference of maybe 5-ish degrees from what they're used to, I can't imagine that would be a problem unless anyone has a significant medical condition.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

How old are your dogs? And you've mentioned 80F overnight. How warm will it get during the day?

My experience is that seniors have a harder time regulating their body temps. And a dog that gets too warm going outside to pee may have a harder time cooling back down in the house. I've got box fans in the floor in my condo (even with air conditioning set at 77) to help my old boy cool back down when we come in. He has a bit of LP, so he's huffing and puffing. He blissfully settles in the floor in front of the fans.

9230584589_7e3ae203b2.jpg

9027449711_15b3a1d43f.jpg

He's started to fuss if his sister pre-empts his spot in front of a fan.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am going through the same thing now as my AC is broken too. I went out and bought a 10,000 BTU portable AC unit to use until my AC gets replaced. It's much easier to set up than a traditional window unit. It is set up in my living room and keeps it around 83 during the day but cools off to 76 in the evening. I also have a ceiling fan going as well as a floor fan. I'm sure my three boys aren't loving it being that warm during the day but they are tolerating it well.

It doesn't reach the back of the house so we've all been living and sleeping in the living room. :-) Hope your AC gets fixed soon.

Miss Carrie loves her big fan that I keep on the floor for her :) Interestingly she and your sweet old man look just alike!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--