What's Your Favorite Dog Food?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest Kitchen Preference with whatever protein source makes sense. With a bit of tweaking I have seen it work for geriatric dogs, dogs in early renal failure, dogs with a history of calcium oxalate crystals/stones and active youngsters.

Haven't checked lately, but when I was feeding the Kirkland version, the ingredients were nearly identical and it was considerably less expensive than TOTW here.

The Natures Domain salmon and TOTW Pacific Stream are almost identical. Bu is very sensitive and had no problems with the change. They are manufactured by the same company. I went into an expensive high end pet store for treats one day and the owner asked what I was feeding the dogs. He balked at first then went online and compared ingredients and was shocked at the similarity.

I don't think Sailor is doing as well on this, so I'm looking to change his food. I'm afraid to change Bu's since it took 8+ months and 8-9 foods to get rid of his diarrhea. I was trying to avoid 2 foods, but I need to do what's best for Sailor and I don't think this is it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TirzhaZ

We've had Cairo on raw/prey model raw since 5 months old. He's 10 months now and growing really well. He has little poos that are easy to pick up, and I feed almost exclusively frozen so it gives him a good amount of stimulation :) I spend about what I would for a really good kibble, and it's nice to never really run out of "dog food" because the freezer always has something in it! Ha!

The Natures Domain salmon and TOTW Pacific Stream are almost identical. Bu is very sensitive and had no problems with the change. They are manufactured by the same company. I went into an expensive high end pet store for treats one day and the owner asked what I was feeding the dogs. He balked at first then went online and compared ingredients and was shocked at the similarity.

I don't think Sailor is doing as well on this, so I'm looking to change his food. I'm afraid to change Bu's since it took 8+ months and 8-9 foods to get rid of his diarrhea. I was trying to avoid 2 foods, but I need to do what's best for Sailor and I don't think this is it.

Nature's Domain is identical to Diamond Naturals, not to TOTW. Yes, they are manufactured by Diamond, but, my dogs cannot eat the Nature's Domain/Diamond Naturals. It seems similar but there are small differences that apparently made a BIG difference for my dogs. Their poop was YELLOW, not brown, as if they were eating a food full of corn. Runny, stinky poop, and GAS. Definitely not the same. Back to TOTW and we're good!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest laura150

Those of you who feed their pups Acana, does it keep their coats shiny? I switched from feeding Ernie Royal Canin because of the recent issues and now I notice his coat isn't as shiny and he has more dry skin with flakes. I want something that's A)good for him! B)helps keep his skin moist and coat shiny. I can't imagine dry skin is comfortable and I don't think he'd jive well to me putting some jergens on him!

Guest LazyBlaze

Laura, how long have you been feeding Acana? The flaking etc. could just be a temporary thing while Ernie adjusts. I don't feed Acana at the moment but have fed it for long spells in the past (the grain-free formulas) and my dogs looked great on it (shiny coats, bright eyes etc.). I've managed to find a cheaper, UK-made alternative (I'm in the UK), otherwise I'd still happily feed it. The cost of the Acana grain-free formulas were beginning to get prohibitive for me though, they went up a lot in the past year or so.

It often happens when you transition to a good food like Acana you get a couple of weeks or so of dandruff before the benefits start to show in their coats and general condition, so I would give it a few weeks at least.

I'm new here also. I work for a pet food supply company so was interested in this topic. I've had dogs all my life and i'm old lol I have a 12 yr old GSD and a 5 yr old Grey, they are both on a raw diet. It has worked for my dogs. I started it about 7 yrs ago for my German Shepherd who has EPI. She is doing wonderfully and my Greyhound has a gorgeous coat! I saw Fromm mentioned, love that food and Acana and Orijen, Earthborn.

Do what works for you but please read the ingredients, no need to break the bank to buy a great food.

Guest Celestrina

Those of you who feed their pups Acana, does it keep their coats shiny? I switched from feeding Ernie Royal Canin because of the recent issues and now I notice his coat isn't as shiny and he has more dry skin with flakes. I want something that's A)good for him! B)helps keep his skin moist and coat shiny. I can't imagine dry skin is comfortable and I don't think he'd jive well to me putting some jergens on him!

Is he shedding? When Angie sheds her coat gets dull and has drier skin. When we rub her down with a rubber mitt she is in seventh heaven.

Free-range cats

Maggie says "BOOYAH!!!!" (chest thump)

Sam says "poopcicles".

But in reality, they eat Natural Balance duck and potato

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

I always smile when I read this title because I keep thinking, "I don't like any kibble actually, but my dogs love..." :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest steveo225

I started using Nature's Logic kibble when my dogs were having digestive issues, has worked great. Less runny, more regular, and their coats are softer and shinier. On top of that, I add some salmon oil for their skin and fur. A little pricey at $50 for 26.4 lb bag, but well worth it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SpeedingHounds

Oh...this topic is so....tempting. It reminds me once when I was at a dog/pet festival, and the lady behind the "Merrick" dog food booth asked me what my dogs (greys) favourite source of protein was.....and I had to answer "squirrel" with a straight face....but that lady was good sales rep.....she just replied "no..we don't have that flavour...yet".