What's Your Favorite Dog Food?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a low fat (8% max or less) dry kibble for a finicky, sensitive stomach senior grey girl? She used to like Costco's Healthy Weight (lots of filler, makes lots of firm poop especially for our younger grey girl) but refuses to eat that any more; she loved Canidae Platinum but it gave her puddin poop every time. Now she's eating (& liking) a vet-dispensed intestinal prescription diet by Iams that is VERY expensive (5# for $16). Any suggestions would be greytly appreciated!

P.S. Exactly which Iams type are y'all calling the "Green Bag?" I looked on Iams' site & there are lots of their varieties in green bags...

Edited by WHanson12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest debster

Right now, I'm feeding my new boy Nature's Domain turkey and sweet potato. He loves the flavor. Great price too.

Jury's still out on the poop thing, as he's a newer boy, but they're decently solid. It doesn't bother me too much if his poops are a little soft to pick up. As long as he's not having the runs, I don't see the point. I don't need designer poops. But I have noticed a decrease in shedding and an increase in shinyness since I got him on July 25.

He gets 3 heaping cups a day (I also supplement with treats) and makes a poop during our 6am walk, and two during our 7pm walk. He only makes a huge pile if he's been out and about and excited.

Guest AngelPup

It's really not about designer poops. I'm happy if Brady's poops are formed (because it means that he's digesting his food properly). Rolling down the hill poops that are easy to pick up are a bonus. :nod

Guest debster

Yeah, that's I was getting at. As long as he feels ok when he goes and it's not loosey goosey obviously upset intestines poop, nor is it painful to go. Sorry if it sounded like my post was directed at a particular group. That was not my intent :)

The dog food debate reminds of the dog I grew up with in the 90s. She was on Hill's Science Diet. Poor girl strained every time she pooped but I thought nothing of it because that was normal to me because I saw nothing else as a kid. Not to be too graphic, but her poor pooper turned bright red from the strain. I'm so glad I was able to get my parents to switch their next dog off of that stuff when more info came out about dog food in the early 2000s. That was where the designer poop thing came from; we don't need little rocks coming out of our doggies bums :hehe

This thread really is great for people having poo issues with their pups, especially for a breed that seems to have more intestinal issues than others.

:beatheart:bowIams green bag :bow2:beatheart

Hahahahaha! Yes!

So my question is, for people who feed the Iams green bag, is it strictly based on what your dogs' poops look like? Or why do you feed it? Because it's not rated all that well (either a C or D, depending on where you look) and the second ingredient is corn, which is basically filler. I am genuinely interested in why people like it so much because if I'm missing something about the quality I might consider trying it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Dog Food Advisor and similar websites, IMHO, are a bunch of B.S. They favor the small, boutique-y companies that mark their kibble up to $70-$80 a bag because they throw in a handful of blueberries. I wanted to have success with a premium food. I really did. But I could not justify giving my dogs food that caused constant diarrhea and intestinal distress. We tried five different premium foods with tons of side effects, the least being diarrhea and the worst being a food allergy. As soon as I transitioned them to IAMS, we had formed poops, no gas, shiny coats, and good teeth. To me, those are the ultimate indicators of a food that's working. And if that's corn, or a 'filler,' or in organic, or not wholistic, then so be it. Companies like IAMS and Hills and Purina are all reputable and have been around forever. I find it hard to believe my dogs are going to get cancer and die just because they eat a commercial brand kibble. Once the 'grain free, limited ingredient, wholistic' trend passes, my dogs will still be eating IAMS.

Guest chardae

I have a question and I'm genuinely wondering this; not trying to start a fight. We've had Greyhounds almost 10 years now and I've read so many debates about dog food I've lost count. I don't have a limitless budget, but I've looked at sites like dogfoodadvisor.com and I've read the dog food grade thread that's been pinned at the top of this forum for the past five years. So I've tried to find a balance of the highest rated (which I take to mean healthiest), most affordable kibble that the dogs do well on. I've switched around from time to time but right now they are on Canidae because they do well on it and I get the most bang for the buck.

So my question is, for people who feed the Iams green bag, is it strictly based on what your dogs' poops look like? Or why do you feed it? Because it's not rated all that well (either a C or D, depending on where you look) and the second ingredient is corn, which is basically filler. I am genuinely interested in why people like it so much because if I'm missing something about the quality I might consider trying it. Thanks in advance for any input.

Our greys had great poops, equal to "green bag", feeding Iams "blue bags", they are corn, wheat, soy free. Sensitive Naturals is fish based, and Prime Naturals is chicken. Typically found in Petsmart, Petco, etc., I have not seen them in our grocery stores, where we do find green bag---blue bag price is higher, of course.

Guest FreeholdHound

I soooo WANTED IAMS to be the one. I work at a big box store so w/ sales, coupons and employee discount it would've been so affordable. Alas, Harry had other ideas. I've tried ... And tried.... And tried again. Not gonna happen. After a year of frustration I bit the bullet and ran a Nutriscan test. With those results as a starting point he's now on Nature's Logic kibble w/ raw mixed in at dinner. He loves it and it loves him -- a first.

If IAMS had worked for him I would've gladly fed it. Results were the same with Fromm, Merrick, Orijen, Nutro & BB. Five star or three didn't matter. Whatever works works.

After much trial and error and very itchy dogs, I discovered that two of mine needed both grain free and chicken free. Interestingly enough, they had been eating a chicken and rice based kibble for years with occasional raw chicken and turkey, but gradually developed allergies and began scratching and chewing on themselves horribly. And then Princess also developed chronic ear infections. Symptoms improved when I removed the chicken, but didn't get completely better until I removed the rice too.

As an aside, I personally eat grain free now. After years and years of being sick almost continually, my health has never been better. I know for a fact that some people don't digest or utilize grains well and it can cause numerous health problems including autoimmune issues. According to my vet, he is seeing more allergies and autoimmune issues than ever in dogs and cats and in his opinion, grains are the culprit for many dogs and feels grains promote diabetes in many cats. Note that I'm not saying he said ALL dogs or cats, just like not ALL people are grain intolerant, but some genuinely are and for that reason, I'm glad there are grain free options for pets and I'm glad more people are trying grain free a lifestyle. I personally know a lot of people who, like myself, feel so much better without grain and have had some lifelong, chronic health issues resolve completely on a grain free diet. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

After much trial and error and very itchy dogs, I discovered that two of mine needed both grain free and chicken free. Interestingly enough, they had been eating a chicken and rice based kibble for years with occasional raw chicken and turkey, but gradually developed allergies and began scratching and chewing on themselves horribly. And then Princess also developed chronic ear infections. Symptoms improved when I removed the chicken, but didn't get completely better until I removed the rice too. So, yes, I'm one of those people who feed an "expensive" grain free food. I wish it weren't so expensive, but I am saving money on vet bills. :lol

As an aside, I personally eat grain free now. After years and years of being sick almost continually, my health has never been better. I know for a fact that some people don't digest or utilize grains well and it can cause numerous health problems including autoimmune issues. According to my vet, he is seeing more allergies and autoimmune issues than ever in dogs and cats and in his opinion, grains are the culprit for many dogs and feels grains promote diabetes in many cats. (And yes, I know many vets disagree.) Note that I'm not saying he said ALL dogs or cats, just like not ALL people are grain intolerant, but some pets and humans genuinely are and for that reason, I'm glad there are grain free options for pets and I'm glad more people are trying grain free a lifestyle. I personally know a lot of people who, like myself, feel so much better without grain and have had some lifelong, chronic health issues resolve completely on a grain free diet. :)

Edited by galgrey

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Interesting topic. We've been feeding TOTW Pacific Stream for a couple of years with various add ins. With the addition of a third, I'm about to go to our local Costco an check out the Kirklands version. Fingers crossed it works and is a reasonable price.

Haven't checked lately, but when I was feeding the Kirkland version, the ingredients were nearly identical and it was considerably less expensive than TOTW here.

I use Newmans Own Organic chicken and rice adult formula. Both hounds love it and do very well on it. I get it on the subscription program from Amazon and it ships free every month. Can also get it at Whole Foods but the local one by me does not have a pet food section.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a low fat (8% max or less) dry kibble for a finicky, sensitive stomach senior grey girl? ...

Natural Balance Ultra Light - light blue bag 8% fat. I am Iams biggest fan but won't feed their weight control - don't like what is in there. Buddy ate Purina One Healthy weight and did well, but it is 12% fat.

People cringe, but I also use Pure Balance for Barkley. It is made by Wal-Mart but the ingredients are good and it ranks exactly the same (3.5) on Dog food advisor as Natural Balance - $16.67 for 17 pounds. They just came out with a grain free salmon version - same price,

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

Natural Balance Ultra Light - light blue bag 8% fat. I am Iams biggest fan but won't feed their weight control - don't like what is in there. Buddy ate Purina One Healthy weight and did well, but it is 12% fat.

People cringe, but I also use Pure Balance for Barkley. It is made by Wal-Mart but the ingredients are good and it ranks exactly the same (3.5) on Dog food advisor as Natural Balance - $16.67 for 17 pounds. They just came out with a grain free salmon version - same price,

JFYI- the Pure Balance at Walmart is made by Ainsworth, same company that makes the grain free 4 Health for Tractor Supply (Diamond makes the grain inclusive 4 Health)

I actually like the ingredients of their new Grain Free Salmon Pure Balance. I had considered trying it, but gave up on kibble and went raw. Joey had constant diarrhea issues and dry coat and started getting ear infections. It has all cleared up on raw, only issue is he started getting fat and I'm having to cut him back!

I've used Kirklands Healthy Weight for our girls & they both initially liked it. After several weeks, our senior girl started having consistent puddin' poop (which was not normal for her) & got dehydrated, plus she no longer would eat it. Our other younger girl still does fine on it. However, what I don't like about it is that it contains "millet," which is a filler which means a lot of poop, but our younger girl's poop is usually very firm on Kirklands (what some of you have called designer poop??). I'm still looking to change both girls to a lower fat senior diet that they can both eat without my having to take a loan out to buy it! (like the prescription Iams I'm currently feeding our senior--pricey). Thanks for the suggestions for some low fat foods!

• 5 months later...
Guest BarbaraE

I had been feeding Merrick grain free buffalo and sweet potato to my two greys and two dachsies. But the price was steep. I've switched to Pure Balance Grain free salmon and pea - the dogs eat it well, and their poops are well formed and regular. The price is kinder to my wallet. Win-win.

We've been feeding our hound Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato for over a year with good results. Fish food breath is the only "problem". He doesn't tolerate chicken very well, and he definitely doesn't tolerate duck, so we've eliminated poultry and rice-based foods. Our vet just gave us a sample bag of the Hill's t/d diet to use as "dental floss" to supplement teeth brushing, and he seems to tolerate those 1-2 pieces a day well also. If we even run into troubles with his current kibble, I don't think we would hesitate to try Iams with some nutritional goodies mixed in.

Guest lunasmom

My rescue group recommended Iams or Purina so after looking at the price and with all the positive comments about Iams on this site I figured I would start there and see how she tolerated it. It's been about 6 months now and she has done very well on the Iams green bag (chicken and rice) minichunks. As of yesterday I have started transitioning her to the Costco brand chicken and rice food because the ingredients look better and the bag has an additional 10lbs for the same price (Iams is a 30lb bag, Costco is a 40lb bag, both are about $28) So far so good :) if she doesn't tollerate it I will go back to Iams, but the Costco brand seems to be a higher quality food for less money so hopefully it will work out.

Guest Doggone

Either IAMS or Kirkland, but mostly for the "end" product ;). Autumn isn't very particular, but I do add in a bit of Kirkland canned food for her dinner, which she loves. I think she'd eat any kibble if some canned food was added. :)

Acana here - the Wild Prairie version.

I keep looking at this thread title and getting the giggles, thinking of hoomans doing taste-testing of various kibbles to ensure the best for their pups :lol

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Rigbt now and hopefully for a long time for Nadir it is Canines Caviar Chicken and Pearl Millet because it is the only thing his stomach and bowels will tolerate. I'm still searching for the best food for Chase. I tried transitioning him to the same food but he doesn't seem to do well with chicken. He produces so much poop on everything I've tried so far including Acana. I'm trying Origen 6 Fish now to see how that goes.