What's Your Favorite Dog Food?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grey_dreams

I feed Primal Raw grind + ground vegetable powder + oatmeal + canned green tripe + sardine/anchovy oil (Iceland Pure). Sometimes they also get extas on that - sardines in water or a few spoons of Hound en Gatos canned. Occasionally, I'm in too much of a rush to prepare the normal food (about every other week), and then they get Acana Ranchlands or Acana Lamb and Pear.

Guest lynne893

We're having GREAT results with Merrick's brown rice, apples and lamb formula.

We'd been doing Nutro venison and brown rice for a couple of years but the formula must've changed at some point b/c our girls started turning their noses at it. We tried Canidae mixed proteins and tried Taste of the Wild salmon, too, but nothing has been as good for their appetites, energy, coats and poops as Merrick.

Guest oldgreymom

Anyone here feed Earthborn Holistic? It was highly recommended by my vet and the rescue we got our grey from. I don't hear very much about it, but he seems to be doing very well on it. No gas and pretty firm poops.

Guest Celestrina

Anyone here feed Earthborn Holistic? It was highly recommended by my vet and the rescue we got our grey from. I don't hear very much about it, but he seems to be doing very well on it. No gas and pretty firm poops.

Excellent food and not as expensive as some out there.

I've been feeding it for about a year now. I first read about it in a thread started by Whitewave. I really liked the looks of the ingredients, so I asked my local feed store to order me some of the Great Plains Feast (my girls can't do chicken). Both girls like it and are doing very well on it. The owners were telling me when I was in there on Saturday they are glad they ordered some for me because it's now one of their most popular foods and they are feeding it to their own dogs.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

my dogs really don't get to choose their favorite food, they eat what is given to them, i'm a mean momma! after years of finicky eaters- my salukis, i learned your put it down, they don't eat you take it up. one was the type of dog who sucked the moist food off of the kibble and spit out the kibble. i don't even top off their kibble, just add warm water.

but for me my favorite food-

one that give them a good coat, firm stools, reasonably priced and is easy to obtain.

unfortunately many dog food companies get sold(eagle pac/holistic select) or decide to upgrade their recipes(nutro max, canadie), price skyrockets(nature's paririe) or have a major recall(way too many to list) and one needs to change.

so my criteria is:

what one can easily buy

what one can afford

what gives them good coat, maintains weight, good stool, no gas.

right now my dogs are doing very very well on the blue seal krunchie kibble- lamb and rice or pork and barley. a good friend feeds it to her 10 dogs, they look great and she delivers it- i buy 2 bags at a time. i went against my one rule of local availabity, but it works and is super reasonable- #40- $39.99.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest chickenpotpie

IAMs green or red bag in the morning and raw in the evening. If I weren't so lazy I would switch to totally raw but naw...too lazy lol

Edited by chickenpotpie

Just switched over from Wellness Grain Free to 4Health. While it is less expensive, the dogs seem to have less trouble with it, stool-wise. It's readily available, as well.

So far, so good.

Edited by September

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I have a question and I'm genuinely wondering this; not trying to start a fight. We've had Greyhounds almost 10 years now and I've read so many debates about dog food I've lost count. I don't have a limitless budget, but I've looked at sites like dogfoodadvisor.com and I've read the dog food grade thread that's been pinned at the top of this forum for the past five years. So I've tried to find a balance of the highest rated (which I take to mean healthiest), most affordable kibble that the dogs do well on. I've switched around from time to time but right now they are on Canidae because they do well on it and I get the most bang for the buck.

So my question is, for people who feed the Iams green bag, is it strictly based on what your dogs' poops look like? Or why do you feed it? Because it's not rated all that well (either a C or D, depending on where you look) and the second ingredient is corn, which is basically filler. I am genuinely interested in why people like it so much because if I'm missing something about the quality I might consider trying it. Thanks in advance for any input.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I have a question and I'm genuinely wondering this; not trying to start a fight. We've had Greyhounds almost 10 years now and I've read so many debates about dog food I've lost count. I don't have a limitless budget, but I've looked at sites like dogfoodadvisor.com and I've read the dog food grade thread that's been pinned at the top of this forum for the past five years. So I've tried to find a balance of the highest rated (which I take to mean healthiest), most affordable kibble that the dogs do well on. I've switched around from time to time but right now they are on Canidae because they do well on it and I get the most bang for the buck.

So my question is, for people who feed the Iams green bag, is it strictly based on what your dogs' poops look like? Or why do you feed it? Because it's not rated all that well (either a C or D, depending on where you look) and the second ingredient is corn, which is basically filler. I am genuinely interested in why people like it so much because if I'm missing something about the quality I might consider trying it. Thanks in advance for any input.

the last time i checked the prices on IAMS around here is was NOT that much cheaper than some of the "premium"brands. also, they all had chicken - not just chicken fat- so i'm looking forward to hearing the answer as well. is it also convenience?(found at the supermarkets here). i did successfully feed my welsh terrier and scottie IAMS for years, so i'm not knocking the food.

just looked up 3 foods on petfood.com

iams #30- $45.99

canidade #30- $48.99

fromm- a couple of varieties- #33- $49.99(american made- all ingredients grown in the states)

holistic select #30- $52.99 and the price goes up.

good question tracey.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest AngelPup

All you have to do is read the Poop, Poop, and MORE Poop thread to know why I feed Iams. I'm not sure why Iams is so expensive at petfood.com, but the cheapest I've found it was at Walmart (in store and on-line) for $28.00 for 30 lb bag.

I'll comment more when I have time.

Guest AngelPup

Ok, lunchtime...

The reason(s) I ended up with Iams:

• Main reason: I've tried two other foods, and a bland diet, and it has been the ONLY food he can eat without producing mass quantities of pudding poops
  • Vet recommended a dog food with beet pulp in it (She actually recommended Bil-Jac, but I found that the ingredients were very similar to Iams, but Iams didn't have preservatives that cause cancer in it and was almost half the cost of Bil-Jac. Plus I can only get Bil-Jac at pet stores)
  • Inexpensive
  • Readily available at local grocery, discount, feed, and pet stores
  • Adoption group recommended
  • Many, MANY people here have had success with it when other foods caused problems for their dogs

I tried other 'better but inexpensive' kibbles and he just couldn't tolerate them. There may very well be another higher quality dog food that he can tolerate, but I'm VERY hesitant to try another kibble when he likes AND can more easily digest Iams.

Guest chickenpotpie

My girl seems to do well on Iams and I can get a big ol 50lb bag at BJ's for 41 dollars here. I tried Blue Buffalo and that was just tragic. For 2 days she had an attack of the sharts... and one of those days she was blowing every 2 hours! I was always glad that I managed to get her out of the house for (most of) them.

So for now, I'll feed what works best for her. If thats Iams, then cool :)

After coming back to kibble from Raw, Sammi could not handle grain based foods. So for a few years, she has been on ToTW. Poops were formed, but stunk BAD. She was hounding me for meals an hour before feeding time. Begging. Started pooping 5+ times a day. She started having accidents in the morning because she worked herself up SO badly between her desire to go out, and her desire to get breakfast. :(

Something had to change.

Tried the popular Iams green bag.

O...

M...

G...

Overnight change! Pooped firmed up and were almost odorless (compared to her waste processing plant byproduct poop before, a skunk dead a week on the highway would have been mildly odorless by comparison!) She went form barely formed, squishy, stank poops... to poops that would roll downhill in the yard! :eek Gas gone. She is calm again in the morning. She acts satisfied now right after & between meals. 5+ poops a day, down to 2-3.

Just watching her closely for the "itching from the inside out" she had 2 years ago on a grain based food. So far, 1 month in and she is still good. Still :goodluck tho.

I don't know that I have a favorite, but Costco's lamb and rice is working well with Henry's slightly touchy stomach and is budget friendly.

Eta: Our adoption rep. just went to Coscto to ask about donations for an event (which they're giving) and they asked if the group wanted cut/torn bags for 50% off. Since most of our foster homes feed their food, this is great news.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest AngelPup

Iams green bag. After years of trying prescription food and other more expensive foods Iams is the only one not give my boy diarrhea. The other two can eat anything successfully, but I feed Iams green with add ons of course.

I was thinking of adding to the Iams... what do you typically add on?