What's Your Favorite Dog Food?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you want to get into this discussion? :hehe:hehe

Seriously you are going to get tons of different answers, but you should go with whatever works for your dog. I feed Acana and rotate between the Pacifica and Ranchlands. It's more expensive, but the results that I've seen cannot change my mind. I initially started feeding the Pacifica to my boy because he has IBS and it is the only food I can find that doesn't upset his tummy. It also has improved all my gangs coats and energy level. I used to feed Iams until it made him sick, then Eukanuba until it made him sick, then Diamond Naturals until it did the same. Their coats and poos have never been as good as they are now with Acana.

IMHO, it is a better quality food and no one can convince me that the cheap bags of food are as good a quality. But, I know dogs that have awesome coats and are healthy on the cheap food.

You should use whatever works for you.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest Doggone

MY favorite, or Autumn's? (Couldn't resist that.........;) )

She seems to be doing fine with the IAM'S green bag plus a third of a can of Kirkland's (Costco brand) wet food.

But if she had her 'druthers, she'd probably want the kind that looks like human foods (stews, etc.), and strictly canned........IIRC, I think Alpo or some of the other brands made them, paying less attention to nutrition than to visual appeal to owners :D.

Guest Waterdog66

I personally have never had dog food; but have eaten stuff that would not even pass for dog food :rofl

Audrey loves her Merrick Grain Free. She is partial to anything with Sweet Potato in it which just happens to keep things nice and ah.... Firm. :yay

We have never tried anything else so I guess this does not really answer your question. (She would have to have tried something else for it to be her favorite)

Our three dogs swear by Acana Ranchlands out of Canada. Firm poop that rolls down the hill. I don't care how much they charge I will keep buying it. 30# around $76 in the US

Are you sure you want to get into this discussion? :hehe:hehe

Seriously you are going to get tons of different answers, but you should go with whatever works for your dog. I feed Acana and rotate between the Pacifica and Ranchlands. It's more expensive, but the results that I've seen cannot change my mind. I initially started feeding the Pacifica to my boy because he has IBS and it is the only food I can find that doesn't upset his tummy. It also has improved all my gangs coats and energy level. I used to feed Iams until it made him sick, then Eukanuba until it made him sick, then Diamond Naturals until it did the same. Their coats and poos have never been as good as they are now with Acana.

IMHO, it is a better quality food and no one can convince me that the cheap bags of food are as good a quality. But, I know dogs that have awesome coats and are healthy on the cheap food.

You should use whatever works for you.

Love Acana and I agree with the poop output LOL

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest june

I've fed Iams for years. Every time I try to change foods I have all kinds of troubles. So they get add-ons (eggs, sardines, ground turkey, etc.), vitamines and salmon oil. So all said and done I probably spend as much as the more expensive foods but without the trouble they cause my pups.

Guest Stardude82

Costco's Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweetpotato. The California Diamond plant seems to do a better job than east coast plant with safety. My boy is grain sensitive. Both dogs do well and it doesn't break the bank. Poops are resonably good.

If I had to pay +$2/lb for kibble, I'd consider raw. Watching them chomping on turkey necks is facinating.

Free-range cats.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

LynnM who used to post here once suggested "Dead Seagull on a Hot Day." Alas, I can't find anybody who makes that flavor.

The three commercial foods that have worked well for the largest number of dogs here over the years are IAMS Adult Mini-Chunks, IAMS Adult Lamb & Rice, and Purina ONE Sensitive Systems.

Over the years we've tried a lot of the fancier boutique-food-of-the-moment ("holistic," grain free, etc.). For the most part, those haven't worked well. Diarrhea, other peculiar and undesirable health effects, quality problems, etc. Long on the hype, short on the results in this household.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My favorite used to be ProPlan Selects salmon and brown rice, but Purina stopped making it. I've switched to ProPlan Select sensitive stomach - a salmon and (white) rice formula.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I started feeding raw because Fletcher had IBS, and all processed foods caused him various levels of problems. A few years ago, I switched the girls to half raw/half kibble for $ and time reasons. I fed TOTW for awhile, because Fletcher could eat the TOTW Pacific once or twice a week with minimal problems. When I finally broke down and got a Costco membership, I switched to their Natures Domain (grain free) Salmon & Sweet Potato and have fed that ever since. The girls are still on the half & half regimen, but I may switch Molly over completely, as she likes the kibble better and she is getting picky in her old age. With lots of add in, of course!

Guest psdirector

After trying Iams and Science Diet (Hutch got sick on both), we have had great results with Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato. Our pups LOVE it and do so well on it. My dad switched his very picky toy poodle over to it as well and she actually eats her food now and is doing well on it.

I agree with brandimom that the better food is worth it.

Guest Houndie

Our boy has been acting sort of disinterested in the Nature's Domain salmon, and the turkey. When we went to Costco a couple of days ago, we noticed they were now carrying the beef variety, so we are giving that a try. So far, so good -- it must taste good, as it is being devoured pretty quickly.

I love ACANA (only 2 of the varieties agree with the pups though). It has no imported ingredients, and I like the ingredient list. The downside is the price but we feed limited kibble here so a bag goes a long way. I don't think I could afford feeding it to 2 dogs all on its own.

Iams in Green Bag because it is the only thing that Annie processes into poos that aren't terribly soft. Also, she poos 2-3 times a day without much volume. Other, "better/best" foods have always given her diarrhea, pudding poo or plain ole' soft poo that is close to pudding. Over the past 2 years, we have tried many "good" foods and I have given up trying.

I feed Go Natural Chicken, have been for a long time. I thinking of switching to something a bit less expensive.

Huscitypam is right. I've tried all kinds of expensive foods and many of them were too rich for my dogs.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest DMBFiredancer

Our three dogs swear by Acana Ranchlands out of Canada. Firm poop that rolls down the hill. I don't care how much they charge I will keep buying it. 30# around $76 in the US

Love Acana and I agree with the poop output LOL

How long does a 30lb bag last you?

Also, at the pet store today they told me that the Canadian food has higher standards than the US food? Anyone know if there is truth in that?

Guest johnmclaren

Pet’s health and happiness come first so, I basically feed the dog with Orijen. Orijen has great meat content, with deboned chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal. Natural Balance Original Ultra dog food is another high-quality food.