My Boy Loves His Veggies

I started feeding Nadir goat a few days ago in hopes of finding something that will agree with him. This is ground goat meat with bone, organs, and tripe, so I'm thinking it has everyday he needs. First meal went very well with him eating it, next meal not so much. He put his nose down sniffed at it, tasted a bit, then walked away. I thought about how much he has enjoyed cooked vegetables in the past, so not having any cooked up I put some wheatgrass powder on it and stirred it up, put it down and he scarfed it up. As long as there are vegetables or something green in it he will finish it, put the plain meat down and he walks away from it. Now I make him a blend of cooked and mashed collards, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. I even found a new pasta by Barilla called Veggie that I mix in. There is a serving of vegetables in every portion. They've got 3 varieties; farfalle with pureed carrots and squash, rotini with zucchini and spinach, and penne with tomato and carrots. Nadir says dinner was yummy :chow

So much for my belief that dogs if given a choice want to eat strictly meat :lol Live and learn I guess.

Our Ambi and Lucas LOVE raw veggies. I make a big salad each day for hubby and myself, and as soon as Ambi hears the fridge open (after he has eaten supper, that's his cue that the fridge is opening for veggies rather than something else) he comes to the kitchen, He loves carrots, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and lettuce itself. I give him a little piece of each, and he does fine with them. Lucas just follows Ambi's lead, and eats most of the veggies too.

So, yes, our Greys do like some strange things.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Scarter55

Lady loves veggies. We steam them and mix them up with a grain (usually oatmeal or rice). We found that she is more likely to eat them if they are soft, and steaming is (I think) the best way to keep most of the nutrients in. Typically, we just collect the left overs of our veggie use over the week and keep them in a freezer bag. Things like carrot tops and shavings, extra Brussels sprout leaves, etc. Most of what we don't eat on veggies are just because we (humans) find them unpleasant, not because they are inedible. So in effect, Lady is our composter. :chow If we don't get enough throughout the week, I'll just buy whatever is cheap.

Edited by Scarter55

Guest chickenpotpie

I've got a veggie girl here too. She loves them any way she can get them, usually frozen or fresh. She also loves fruit. I do make her medley ice milks (pineapple and broccoli ice milk anyone?)

Guest Scarter55

I've got a veggie girl here too. She loves them any way she can get them, usually frozen or fresh. She also loves fruit. I do make her medley ice milks (pineapple and broccoli ice milk anyone?)

What is ice milk?

Guest Stardude82

What is ice milk?

Like ice cream, except with milk instead of cream. You end up getting something closer to slush, but hey, less calories means you can eat more.

Guest Lochshumans

Any time my hubby and I are having soy beans, both pups are just waiting for us to pop a couple out of the pod and hand them over. Hands down, soy beans are the favorite in this house!

Guest elizabeth7418

My mom mixes green beans into the food for her 'hounds, so when Addy and I were there to visit for two weeks in June, Addy got green beans too. She LOVED them! We just run the beans through the food processor so they're nice and chopped up.

Guest BlueCrab

Trixie loves veggies and fruit. The sound of a knife on the cutting board, or the veggie drawer opening and she's in the kitchen waiting for hers. I haven't found anything yet that she won't eat - oh wait, yes I did. We have mixed greens in the garden and some sort of lettuce-but-not-lettuce green she took one bite of and spit out. But she'll eat oranges, melons, squash, brussels sprouts, pretty much anything I give her. I pulled a ton of beans from the garden last night so she and Leyland will have fresh beans with their dinner for a while. And yes, they do make cheap treats.

Guest chickenpotpie

Like ice cream, except with milk instead of cream. You end up getting something closer to slush, but hey, less calories means you can eat more.

exactly. since I'm not trying to put weight on her (and we're both lactose intolerant), using lactaid milk makes sense since its always in the house. have to admit, broccoli and pineapple ice milk isn't that bad actually :)

My kids really enjoy carrots. I buy the whole carrots and the iggies will eat them, it's pretty funny to watch :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

JJ likes all sorts of vegetation, but will only eat it once he's seen me eating it. He repeatedly turned his nose at cucumber until he watched me eating some and begged for a slice. I gave it to him thinking, "Silly dog, I know you won't eat this." And then he ate it and came back for more.

I especially like giving him carrots because I enjoy listening to the crunching noise he makes as he eats them.

(youtube video series of eating a carrot!: part 1 www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUDbSjYPfXo , and part 2 www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_244n6thww)

Guest RMarie

So far we've discovered that James likes raw frozen carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. :chow

BUT, he will spit out lettuce. :rofl

Edited by RMarie

Ashe loves fresh and cooked vegetables. He'll try just about any vegetable that we offer him... and sometimes some that we don't offer...

IMG_2197_zps7ee3faff.jpg

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)