Separation Anxiety Not Improving...

Guest distorento

Glad to hear he's doing better.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

You need to have the pics on your computer.

Upload your pics from your computer to a photo-hosting site such as Instagram or Photobucket.

Once uploaded, click on the code (in Photobucket it's called the IMG code) and copy it.

Paste the link in the "REPLY" box here on GT.

Post your reply.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hmaeayers

My boyfriend and I are having the same issue that you had with Sam. Our greyhound, Arlen, is amazing with us and extremely social with people other than us (wanders up and leans on people). We have gotten two complaints now at our apartment that he has been vocalizing for 8 hours at a time. We have had Arlen for a month and this seems to continue to be an issue.

We tried the Kong, he goes through it quickly and then is done with it and whining.

We have left the TV and the radio but it has not helped.

What can we do, we are new grey owners and are struggling with separation anxiety.

• 1 month later...
Guest distorento

Hope you haven't given up hope yet (sorry I took so long to follow-up!)

I would say that the main trigger that turned everything around was the citronella collar. The first time we put it on he barked just as much, although confused form the spray and scent. On day two, we saw a drastic improvement!! Since he would stop vocalizing, his anxiety would go way down.

The other thing that helped was seeing an animal behaviourist. She strongly recommended clomicalm, which he has been on for 4 months now. The behaviourist is pretty sure that one of the reasons he calmed down is the clomicalm, but it takes a few weeks to start taking effect and doesn't work on all greys... But she also told us that the alone training was not the answer and that they can't be tricked. She focused on the drug therapy while giving us a few other tips (put him in the crate and leave right away, make him lie down before getting ready to leave so his anxiety is not spiking before we leave).

It takes so much patience, and it takes time. We also sent a letter to each of our neighbors asking them for their understanding and told them everything we were doing to make it better.

Today he has worked through it (although still sensitive and still crated), and he is much happier, and so are we.

Best of luck!