Amputation Of Both Center Toes On Hind Foot

Blossie, one of the dogs in out walking group, hurt his foot Saturday. He never cried, just held it up and didn't want to walk far on it. The two center toes puffed up badly, so his Mom has him at NGAP now. One toe is for sure broken, and they say should come off. The worry is that the vet says when she gets in there, she may decide to take the adjacent toe. (Blossie's Mom heard about this ten minutes ago)

I know I've seen toe amp threads, but I can't remember seeing this situation before. His Mom would love to hear some success stories!

Blossie is the big hunka houndie in the front of the photo below. He's the sweetest guy ever. We took the pups to visit him after the walk yesterday (he was depressed because he missed it!) and he was just sooooo happy to see his friends. No snarking because of the pain, and he let me fiddle with the owie foot with no complaints.

496fec66.jpg

He should be fine. She may have to monitor his activity level, and watch for increased arthritis in that foot in the future. Amputation is really a lot easier than trying to heal a broken toe bone.

The vet should probably be able to tell from xrays whether both toes will need to go or not. I'm not sure what she could tell differently after surgery starts. :dunno

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I seem to recall reading about one with two toes gone when Beth was going through her toe amp saga, but I couldn't tell you where in the archives.

I would, however, totally get a second opinion before doing that!

Two years after a weight-bearing rear toe amp, Beth is developing some serious arthritic malformations in her remaining toe, which are causing me some real concern. She's *been* fine, but I am nervous about the future.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greybookends

My Daytona had only two toes on one of her back feet. She had a toe amp. before I got her and they took the adjacent toe with it. I do not know all of the particulars, like I said it was done before she came to me. She never missed a step. Yes she walked with a limp, but she ran and everything just like any other and lived to be 14. I would not worry about it. it's a couple of toes and many hounds do just fine with 3 legs.

May I also add that on the same foot she was born with one less toe so she only had one toe on that foot.

Edited by greybookends

Gracie had a middle toe amp on her hind foot due to a benign, though rare, tumor of the nail bed. Amp was easy and she's never missed that toe.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh no! Poor Blossie. My Aunt's girl had several toes removed. Never caused her any problems. I'll talk to my Aunt see if I can get more information.

Fell better soon Blossie, we miss you!

Edited by Greylover97

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15