Does Anyone Have Dewclaws Removed... Before There's "trouble&#

Guest BrindleBoy

Guest BrindleBoy

I searched for "dewclaw", and there are several threads on injuries, but I didn't find any discussions on whether it's a good idea to have the dewclaws removed BEFORE they cause a problem. I'm not one for unnecessary procedures... but I was curious as to how many grey owners do this as a precaution rather than as a treatment for a torn dewclaw?

Pretty sure part of our adoption agreement said no dew claw removal surgery...I'll have to go reread! LOL

Honestly we keep all nails trimmed short here and have had zero issues in the past 5 years

------

Jessica

Guest alannamac

Bandit came with dewclaws....He was with me for 9 years, never any issues........

Red came without dewclaws...the scars make me cringe, but he doesn't seem to miss them as far as I can tell. He likes to dig holes, so perhaps he's better off without them.....

Guest saucyalysoon

Breeze doesn't have them. Although when we got the haul dogs in, quite a few of them did. Who knows. I'd say if it's been an injury-prone area to talk to the vet. Otherwise I can't see removing them.

Wanted to add these links to a articles by Chris Zink, DVM. It concerns dew claws, their use & possible repercussions of removal.

Newer article -

"Do the dew(claws)?" by M. Christine Zink DVM, PhD, DACVSMR

http://www.caninesports.com/uploads/1/5/3/1/15319800/dewclawexplanation_rev_apr_10_2013.pdf

Older article -

With A Flick of the Wrist

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/documents/dewclaws-injury.pdf

Would you amputate your little finger just because it might cause a problem later on?

Every once in a while you hear about dew claw problems, but not any more often than with any of their other toes. There's two threads here right now about broken toes and to-amp-or-not-to-amp them. Neither thread involves a dew claw.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think the surest way to start trouble is to cut off something that isn't doing any harm where it is.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Here's another vote for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Removing dewclaws from an adult dog can be pretty darn painful......I see no reason to take them off if they aren't causing any trouble.

Desi has his......never had a problem.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Lila's dew claws stick out a lot. It was one of the first things I noticed about her, they are that obvious. She runs and plays like a crazy girl and I thought there would have been some sort of disaster by now, but we've had no problems. She uses them to scratch her ears and hold her chewies. They are the closest thing she has to thumbs, I'd hate to deprive her of that.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest alannamac

Lila's dew claws stick out a lot. It was one of the first things I noticed about her, they are that obvious. She runs and plays like a crazy girl and I thought there would have been some sort of disaster by now, but we've had no problems. She uses them to scratch her ears and hold her chewies. They are the closest thing she has to thumbs, I'd hate to deprive her of that.

That reminds me of Bandit using his like thumbs to hold small toys especially a toy mouse that had a pull string that caused it to vibrate. It was hilarious to watch and he got such a kick out of it....also he used the dew claws to scratch his face in itchy spots

thanks for the memories...: )

I definitely wouldn't have them removed unless there were repeated issues either.....

Guest BrindleBoy

WOAH.... read my post!!! I'm NOT considering removing them... I'm AGAINST unnecessary surgery... I was just curious as to how many greys still had them coming from the tracks, and if/how many people did think it wise to remove them.

No "voting" is necessary, I'm not looking for advice...lol... Indy's dewclaws aren't going anywhere.

Edited by BrindleBoy

Most of the greys I see have them. Only problem here was when one of my dogs got a bad cut right underneath the claw; was a bit tricky to get that healed up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm strongly in the camp of leaving all my dogs' claws right where nature put them unless there is a problem. No prophylactic amputations for us.

Same here. In fact a vet said in an article in WDJ that they were much more important than people realize anatomically and removing them can even cause problems(not to mention risks from the procedure!). Having their dewclaws has never been a problem for any of my zillion greys and other dogs that I've had. As far as numbers I have only seen/had one greyt (Cash) who came with them removed. All the other hounds/fosters/even the ones at the kennel etc. and there have been a lot of them-all still had them.

Edited by racindog

George has the weirdest dewclaws I've ever seen--they stick out a mile--but they don't bother him. He's also really pigeon toed, and I have always been amazed he could actually run competitively with massive dewclaws and pigeon toes!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

WOAH.... read my post!!!

:lol Just reread your post. Still sounds like you are asking how many, if any, of us have had the dew claws removed. So you actually want to know how many of us have dogs that came without dew claws?

All of my dogs & fosters, regardless of breed, have come with their dew claws on the front & many had rear dew claws as well. The exception was my staghound who had no dew claws. All of my Greys, owned or fostered, have their dew claws.

My staghound was often seen licking a spot on one wrist where you could feel a lump where a dew claw would have been. Don't know if her dews were removed or she just didn't have any. Vet guessed those were removed.

I have had four whippets and all had their dewclaws removed as very young puppies except for Banjo, who had just one removed, his breeder missed one. He manages to tear the nail out at least once a year, sometimes without too much bother but several times it has involved a visit to the vet and a light anaesthetic to cut it off. It has been suggested that it be removed surgically but I think that is too major surgery for me to contemplate if we can get away without it.

I am always amazed when I see the size of some greyhounds' dew claws.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.