How Does Everyone Give Glucosamine?

The vet thinks Rainy might be developing some arthritis in her hind end. She's been having some wierdness back there. I haven't had any glucosamine in 6 months or so. I was buying the gucosamine for horses (regular cosequin powder) and dosing with 1/8 teaspoon. But they are raw fed and most of the times just have giant hunks of meat to chomp on, so powder is a pain.

What does everyone else use?

------

Jessica

I use Cosequin on and off. I bought it initially for Kili after her bladder surgery, but she was only getting a half tablet once weekly for 6 weeks and the bottle was 132 tabs. So I started Summit on it since he's an older boy... not that he has any mobility issues so I didn't see any difference really. Of course, he's also on J/D as his regular diet so that probably helps too.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Greyhound Gang has it (in a powder form) and Claudia can answer any questions you may have.

Fresh Factors vote #2 here as well and joint health chewables along with it. ( Springtimeinc.com)

Edited by nessa

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Guest Doggone

I also use the tablets, which I cut into quarters and mix in the food. Since Autumn gets kibble plus a little canned food to moisten it, I do that with all meds.........otherwise, she'd leave it whole and avoid it :D.

I do that because even if the pill says " chewable/flavored", she won't take it by itself :(.

I also give the Springtime Joint chewables. They came out with an Advanced formula with Boswellia Extract, which is supposed to be better than the Traditional Joint tablet, but I cannot get my girls to touch them. I personally like the smell of them, but the girls don't want any part of them no matter what I hide them in.

I have also given SynFlex liquid on occassion mixed in with a couple tablespoons of yogurt.

I feed raw, too, and use ActiFlex powder, the horse version. They each get 1.5 teaspoons. I sprinkle it over their chicken backs in the morning and then add some flavored liquid and they tend to slurp that up, including the powder. My favorite elixir (ha ha) was yogurt mixed with water, but Maverick apparently is lactose intolerant! Figures. I have used pumpkin, broth and juice from thawed chicken. Plain water isn't consumed as readily and there is always more powder left in the bottom of their bowls.

Brady gets Greyhound gang powdered supplements sprinkled on lunch meat (it kind of soaks in) and then he is fed that. He is not a good eater and with his mobility issues, I want to make sure he gets everything he needs.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I used Costco's Kirkland brand, it's Glucosamine HCl 1500mg with MSM 1500mg. The bottle is 375 tablets and the dose is two tabs per day and I think I paid ~<$17.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I use the human sort which comes in capsules with fish oil. The girls get one of these in each of their meals mixed in and they seek it out to eat. I tried other tablets and powder and Paige informed me that this was effectively a poisoning attempt and that I should cease and desist immediately. :rolleyes:

I use the human sort which comes in capsules with fish oil. The girls get one of these in each of their meals mixed in and they seek it out to eat. I tried other tablets and powder and Paige informed me that this was effectively a poisoning attempt and that I should cease and desist immediately. :rolleyes:

Ah yes, the classic poisoning attempt. Do you remember the brand and where you get them?

------

Jessica

Ah yes, the classic poisoning attempt. Do you remember the brand and where you get them?

I generally just get them from the supermarket in the health food aisle. But I'm in Australia so not much help to you I suspect. I like them because it gives them the fish oil as well. They like them because they seem to like the taste (although they tend to just gulp their food anyhow?)

Guest OPointyDog

We pay a small fortune for Glycoflex III for our dog with advanced arthritis in one leg due to a broken hock repair gone wrong. I see, though, that I can get it more cheaply online... Hmmm.

I have yet to convince myself it does any good. I have arthritis in one toe due to a broken toe gone horribly wrong (I sense a trend here...). I asked my PCP about it, and she thinks glucosamine probably doesn't help. I wonder if anyone knows if there have been clinical trials done with it?

The girls get Joint Health (along with Fresh Factors) I think there have been clinical trials that say it helps and trials that say it doesn't :rolleyes: Personally, for both my dogs and myself, I find it helps, but more so in the beginning. As the arthritis gets worse, it seems less effective, but it does still help some. That's just my take.