Hunger Strike

I seem to be especially needy lately; I appreciate all your patience and great advice. :(

Anyway, when I was house sitting I had to stop free feeding and go to meals twice a day and it didn't go over well with Molly and Mason. It wasn't when they like to eat, they were rushed, etc. On top of which, Mason seemed to prefer the food her dogs ate over what I feed.

So, here we are back at home and Molly has readjusted without a problem. She ate a TON the first few days back and is back on track...YEAH!

Mason, however, seems to be on a hunger strike. He's pooping great (nice, solid, and a lot). I really don't want to change food since they do so well so well on it but I want him to eat. I'm thinking since he's pooping he's eating at some point.

So, at what point do I worry?

FWIW: he's taking treats, drinking, active (well, as active as he was before...), etc. I truly don't think it's a health issue, I think it's a Greyhound stubborn issue.

TIA-

Anal Annie Greyhound Mom! :)

Guest FawnFan

I'd worry when he stops taking treats and drinking.

Otherwise you may want to make his regular food more desirable by adding something like a half of a baked sweet potato or some other cooked veggies (if he has a favorite add those) or a tablespoon (teaspoon even) of yogurt or some (a handful) cooked meat or even a tablespoon of canned tuna fish. Adding just a little chicken stock with the water may help. You might also entice him with a little olive oil sprinkled on top or even some grated parm cheese. Try the one thing you think he'd like the most. Then after he's eating his food again, you can start to wean him off of it after a few days.

Personally I tried this and the weaning part didn't work. I still add "extras" to my hound's meals. :) That's my issue though; not the hounds.

Edited by FawnFan

Try the low sodium chicken stock. I had to do that with Taylor for a while.

I seem to be especially needy lately; I appreciate all your patience and great advice. :(

Anyway, when I was house sitting I had to stop free feeding and go to meals twice a day and it didn't go over well with Molly and Mason. It wasn't when they like to eat, they were rushed, etc. On top of which, Mason seemed to prefer the food her dogs ate over what I feed.

So, here we are back at home and Molly has readjusted without a problem. She ate a TON the first few days back and is back on track...YEAH!

Mason, however, seems to be on a hunger strike. He's pooping great (nice, solid, and a lot). I really don't want to change food since they do so well so well on it but I want him to eat. I'm thinking since he's pooping he's eating at some point.

So, at what point do I worry?

FWIW: he's taking treats, drinking, active (well, as active as he was before...), etc. I truly don't think it's a health issue, I think it's a Greyhound stubborn issue.

TIA-

Anal Annie Greyhound Mom! :)

How do you know what Mason is eating if free feeding?

Or is Molly grabbing more and getting bigger?

Mason has a very special way of eating; he dumps most of the food on the floor because I keep all the good food on the bottom. :) So far, there's no food on the floor. Also, Molly eats out of the side and Mason eats out of the middle (after dumping most of the food on the floor). So far, food has only been eaten neatly out of the side. Molly isn't getting bigger but she also didn't eat much over the week of house sitting so she's still catching up. I'm not worried about her. I can see hip bones and I couldn't before. I'd like her to put on a few pounds.

Mason isn't looking noticeably thinner but at 90+ pounds and solid (but not heavy) it's hard to tell. I'm tempted to put him on a scale.

Guest Scouts_mom

If there is food available, Mason is not going to starve. If he has no other options, he will eat. You two are engaged in a battle of wills--do you want to let him win? (Actually mine win the battle of wills usually.)