Medical Supplies At Your Adoption Kennel?

If you are involved with hands-on at your adoption group, can you tell me what medical supplies you keep on hand at your kennel?

What would you add to it for a wall-mounted first aid kit? (This list is not for any prescription items.)

Here's my basic list so far.

bandages

gauze

various vet wrap

medical tape

betadine

saline for eye wash

hydrogen peroxide

neosporin

bandaids (for people)

medical scissors

medical clamps

tweezers

styptic powder

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Not so much medical as practical: add a magnifying glass and a small flashlight. Trying to examine spots/marks/does-it-have-legs things on the underside of a dog is difficult without these. Also, some kennel workers may have less-than-optimal close-up vision (me!) and a magnifying glass will be a big help.

Make sure there's a waterproof marker (write bandaging dates directly on the tape of a bandage--notes to kennel staff get lost). Another use for the marker is marking the dog directly if there's a suspicious bruise that needs to be monitored.

And you might want no-chew spray (although it's not always effective). Bitter Yuck is water-based, and it can be sprayed on bandages that might come in contact with an open wound. Bitter Apple is the alcohol-based spray; it burns.

Perhaps substitute polysporin for neosporin. People can be allergic to neomycin (I am), and I assume dogs can be too. Nothing more depressing than faithfully using an antiseptic cream and watching an injury get worse. :(

Consider spray-on bandages and wound treatments (EMT comes in a spray, I think). An injury could be a broad, shallow scrape or just be located in a spot you can't bandage. But before you put a spray-on bandage product in your kit, have a person test the brand on his/her own wound; some of those sprays sting a lot, and I wouldn't use them on a dog.

ETA: Benadryl-type cream for dogs with itchy bug bites?

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest june

I would not be without Allercain. It is antiseptic, anti itch (pump) spray and has bittran to discourage chewing. For minor cuts and scrapes I couldn't recommend anything better. Says it is good for hotspots too, but my pups don't have any problems with those.

Opps, almost forgot. Good antiseptic cleanser like Nolvasan is a must.

Guest Clawsandpaws

I would also throw an adhesive dissolver in there, plus a small pair of scissors, such as for trimming human eyebrows, or a smaller pair of medical scissors. Some anti-itch type spray is great too.

Cotton balls, cotton ear swabs, EMT gel.

I'm going to roll your suggestions into one list for easier review by all:

bandages
gauze, cotton balls
various vet wrap
medical tape

tape dissolver
Nolvason antiseptic cleaner (should I keep Betadine on the list?)
saline for eye wash
hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting)
neosporin Polysporin
bandaids (for people)
medical scissors

tweezers
medical clamps
tweezers

magnifying glass

small flashlight

waterproof marker (to date bandage changes or circle suspicious bruising)
styptic powder

Allercain antiseptic spray with bittran to discourage chewing

Bitter Yuck

spray on bandage (what brand?)

EMT gel and/or spray

anti-itch spray or cream (Benadryl?)

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Do you need a tick remover instrument or do you use tweezers? How about pepcid ac for tummy upsets?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

This thing is great for body-area ticks. I got the fluorescent orange one since it's easier to see in the first aid basket at the kennel. It's not helpful for ticks between toes or in ears. It works best if the tick is attached to a flat area on the dog. (You mash down with the cup end and slide it under the body of the tick, then lift the tick straight off. No handling the tick's body, no risk of accidentally squeezing the tick while it's still embedded.) My vet's office sells them for $4.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)