Overwhelming Gas Issues

Guest Sarahmonster

Guest Sarahmonster

Hello! I'm new here, and was looking to see if I could find some information on an issue we are having with our foster.

We have had him for two weeks now and just got him switched over to Blue Buffalo Freedom, but we are seriously starting to question if that was a good idea.

He has had just unbelievable gas issues. It's all day long, and it's BAD. Aside from the horrific smell, we figure his poor belly can't be feeling very well if he's having issues like that.

This is our first time fostering, and it's our first experience with a Greyhound. He's an amazing dog and we just want him to be happy and healthy and are seeking any information we can get on how to fix this issue.

Should we switch his food, add something too it? Or maybe he just needs to adjust? Thanks so much!

-Sarah

Guest Addie

I think I've heard worms can cause gas?

Charcoal dog treats can help, I get them in the big bin at our pet food store. You have to be careful if they are on meds because the charcoal can absorb the meds.

I switched my dogs to Natural Balance L.I.D. Lamb and I cook some ground turkey once a day. They also get juice, I mix carrot juice with canned pumpkin and apple sauce. They never have gas any more! I used to feed them Taste of the wild lamb, and they did pretty good on that too.

You can also try Kefir, its lactose free.

Lots of greyhounds don't do well on lots of foods. It almost always takes some trial and error to find one that works.

Lots of greyhounds don't do well on Blue Buffalo, according to testimony on this board. Iams works well for a lot of them.

If you find the right food, he shouldn't have much gas.

Are you giving anything else besides food? My friend found that giving yogurt to try to help gas was making it worse (her hound was lactose intolerant).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest psdirector

We had our hounds on Iams green bag (we also tried Science Diet, which is the food they were on when they arrived) and the gas and digestive upsets as well as loose poos were awful, even though I know that many greyhounds do well on it. We switched to Natural Balance Venison and Sweet Potato and we have zero gas issues and no digestive upsets. Sadly, there is no "one food fits all" for greyhounds. It can be a matter of trial and error to find what works best for a particular greyhound.

Guest Sarahmonster

Thanks everyone!

We have been keeping a good eye on his poo to check for worms, and nothing so far!

We called the adoption agency that we got him from and she suggested we try Pruina one Lamb and Rice. Evidently the fat content in the Blue buffalo is usually too much for the greyhounds to handle! We are going to give this one a try and hope for the best! We also got some Pumpkin, and we are going to look into the Charcoal treats! :)

I appreciate the feedback!

Guest Addie

Also, when we just get fosters I only feed them 1 cup of food for each meal the up it the next day to 1 1/2 cups for a couple days and then up to 2 cups each meal. I think too much food or additions right away can cause a blow out! I would just be real gradual with everything since Greyhounds seem to have a touchy tummy a lot.

Make sure you're switching foods slowly, even a food that would work can cause trouble if you just switch to it one day.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest blueberri

Our guys don't do so well with flour, or corn. Did really well on Orijen adult, but the 6-fish made me want to tape up his butt with duct tape. He's been on raw for 7 months now, and little girl for 1 week. If I give them a dog-cookie (flour, peanut butter etc) they let rip something fierce for the next day or so. Raw has been our saving grace. Now hubby can't blame the dogs :lol:

Guest Doggone

Autumn's foster was feeding her Blue Diamond, so I kept her on it at the beginning. BLECH ! Gas mask time!!

I've gradually switched her over to IAMS green bag, plus small amounts of Kirkland canned food mixed in, and HOORAY..........the air in my house is breathable again! :D