Missing Toenail Or Slo?

Guest abbysmom

Guest abbysmom

Hello,

I haven't been on here in a long while. I came home last night and found one of the greys had lost a toenail. Vet said to wrap it up to stay the bleeding. I found the nail on the staircase later--it looks like it just pulled away clean. I've heard of SLO and read a little bit about it. Her other nails and nail beds appear normal. It doesn't seem to bother her at all (amazingly). Do I assume that this is an isolated incident? Is there anything else I should look for besides other nails falling off?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I wouldn't freak out. Deuce seems to tear off the same toenail every few months. I deal with it when it happens and move on. She has never had any other problems with her other nails.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Hope it was just an accident. Mickey has lost six in six weeks, and two more are going now. Since the first was a dew claw, and the next on the same foot a day later, I figured it was an outside mishap! Hope for the best...it is usually just a missing nail! Good luck!

I too would suspect an accident if all the other nails look good. Nearly all of mine have lost one at one time or another. Makes a ghastly mess, doesn't it? Hope your pup heals quickly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest abbysmom

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm hoping it is just an accident. The kitchen looked like a scene out of psycho, of course, and we are needing to do frequent bandage changes. Unlike her sister, though, she's good about leaving her bandages on, so that's a plus. :-) Thank you again!

Guest FawnFan

AbbysMom, definitely keep doing what you're doing for the lost toenail toe. As for the others, check them underneath and see if you can see the nail separating from the quick. If this seems to be happening then it is SLO. I have a SLO hound and most of his nails are still attached and yet separated at points. He also has some really ugly toenails/quicks. We only had one incident with the bleeding which included a trip up the stairs, into 3 of the 4 bedrooms and then into his bed in my office. The trail of blood was endless so I can relate.

If you need more information on SLO, you can either Google it or there's a Facebook group that Julie Richardson Costello started. It is an open group so you should be able to find it via search. If not, let me know and I'll send you the link.

Hoping it was just an accident and only one nail will be lost. Good luck and I hope the bleeding stops soon!

Jean

Guest abbysmom

Thank you, Jean (FawnFan). I appreciate the info. So far so good. . . but I will check for the facebook group.

Best regards,

Laurie.