For Those Using Prednisone For Slo...

How long before you saw an improvement? How long did your dog stay on pred? Mickey lost six nails in less than a month. He is now losing the last remaining nail on one front foot, and a second on the other front. I started with the Grassmere protocol ( tetracycline and niacinimide), but now I'm trying the protocol from Care of the Racing Greyhound. It suggests staying on pred, at a low dose, for two years. Have you kept a dog on it for that long?

I'm continuing the fish oil, vitamin E, niacinimide, and have added goldenseal. Also, pain meds as needed.

I have not been able to take Mickey anywhere because of fear that someone, person or dog, will step on his feet. No more therapy visits, and I have to take others to meet and greets. I feel so bad, because he still wants to go!

How long does this go on?

Edited by Neighsayer

Guest Grhndad

It's been a while but I had a senior broodie that was treated with Preds for SLO. The vet used the treatment in the "Care of the Racing Greyhound". I forget what the initial dosage was but she was on a low dosage of preds until we lost her at age 13 due to hemgeoscarcoma (SP), She took one small dose tablet every other day. If we stopped the low dose, It would start back up. She was on them for about 3 / 4 yrs if memory serves.

There is no reason your boy can't do anything he was doing before. Our girl went on many road trips, twice a year and all of our M&G. Never had a problem. She took walks everyday with the others, We had a pack of 5 at the time.

Imo I would not use pred--way too many side effects. I used very successfully niacinamide, tetra and omega 3. With that protocol I did used pred but, only as an initial term. I also switched protocols and used pentoxifylline with success. It's briefly mentioned in this article.

http://www.dermatologyforanimals.com/faq-49/

I really do recommend a derm consult with Dr Rhodes.

It's been a while but I had a senior broodie that was treated with Preds for SLO. The vet used the treatment in the "Care of the Racing Greyhound". I forget what the initial dosage was but she was on a low dosage of preds until we lost her at age 13 due to hemgeoscarcoma (SP), She took one small dose tablet every other day. If we stopped the low dose, It would start back up. She was on them for about 3 / 4 yrs if memory serves.

There is no reason your boy can't do anything he was doing before. Our girl went on many road trips, twice a year and all of our M&G. Never had a problem. She took walks everyday with the others, We had a pack of 5 at the time.

Mickey just recently lost those nails, and is losing two more. His feet are very ouchie at this point, and the quicks look bloody. I would rather present a healthy looking hound at a M&G, and dogs are not welcomed at the nursing home with injuries. He lost a nail just walking into the vet's office last week, and left a trail of blood on the floor. I wouldn't want him to o that out in public! He is ten years old, but has always been a puppy at heart. This has hit him hard, and slowed him down. I want him to be in better shape before taking him places.

I only used the pred on Isis for about 6 months. I didn't like it so we tapered off and just stayed with the doxy, niacinimide and the vit E for about a year. She lost all of her nails and is still on niacinamide and vit E but not a lot.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

My boy's nail loss stopped as soon as he went on prednisolone (for a second more serious autoimmune disease) but he was on a very high dose (100mg daily). He didn't lose another nail until 4 months later when he was on 12.5mg every other day and this was a nail that was damaged by SLO prior to starting the steroids (it was always going to come off but the steroids slowed it down). He lost another nail 8 months after that when he was on 7.5mg every other day and we're waiting to see if he's going to lose any more.

No-one wants their dog to be on steroids but my boy has done very well on them all things considered. He has no apparent side effects on the low every other day dose (although of course we can't know what the longer term effects might be) and it's likely he'll stay on this dose indefinitely (he's been on them a year now) for all his autoimmune issues.

Poor Mickey sounds like he's got a bad case so I hope he feels more comfortable soon.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting