Click Click Click Click... Are The Nails Just Too Long?

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Hey guys,

I have a dremel and I've watched some trimming videos, so I'm ok with the hows of nail trimming (I think).

I'm just curious, do your dogs nails tend to click on the floor, or does this mean Luigi's nails are too long? If I can trim them back and have them quiet, it'd make having him sleep in our room a LOT easier!

I like the nails short so you don't hear the clicks on the floor. I trim the tips every Sunday.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest GeekyLyndsay

I like the nails short so you don't hear the clicks on the floor. I trim the tips every Sunday.

My husband will be VERY happy to hear this.. will really cut down on the coffee budget! :)

I'm sure others will have more to say, but when I hear the click, click, click it means it's time to trim nails! Now when I first got Gigi though it was a slow process of trimming her nail once a week to finally get them short enough, where they should be because hers were so grown out.

amr236.jpg
**Shellie with GiGi aka: Good Girl (Abita Raginflame X Ace High Heart) and two honorary hounds Butter and Bella**

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GiGisCloset2?ref=si_shop

Guest Doggone

I get Autumn's nails dremeled about every 5-6 weeks (she walks mostly on the sidewalks, just going on the grass to p & p, which acts somewhat like a file). Other than right after it's done, the clicking begins, and yet the nails are quite short. IMO, it may be the way her feet are shaped.

Even when Henry's nails are short, they still click on the floor. Truman's never do because his feet are more arched up.

I wonder if it depends on the shape of the foot for some dogs? My guys both get their nails trimmed and dremmeled regularly and at the same time.

Guest RMarie

Even when Henry's nails are short, they still click on the floor. Truman's never do because his feet are more arched up.

I wonder if it depends on the shape of the foot for some dogs? My guys both get their nails trimmed and dremmeled regularly and at the same time.

Same here. I don't mind, though. I know he's awake before he even climbs the stairs because I hear him "click-click-clicking" in the foyer. I :heart that sound!

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Same here. I don't mind, though. I know he's awake before he even climbs the stairs because I hear him "click-click-clicking" in the foyer. I :heart that sound!

I do love the clicking most of the time.. but at 3am when he's once again wondering why he can't go visit the mirror dog that lives in the bathroom I have a couple of grumbles :P

Guest RMarie

I do love the clicking most of the time.. but at 3am when he's once again wondering why he can't go visit the mirror dog that lives in the bathroom I have a couple of grumbles :P

:rofl

I dremel once a week. Summer has a bit of a shiny floor phobia so I have to stay on top of it. Plus, being a therapy dog, there's lots of tile for her to deal with. I keep them short enough so there's never any clicking. Another guide regarding when to trim... which you may find helpful... when they're standing squarely on a bare floor, you should be able to slide a piece of paper under their nails without the nails interfering.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Beth has always had pretty long quicks, so she clicks on my hardwood floors pretty much all the time. I do her nails every 2-3 weeks (clip) and she walks a ton on pavement.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

We dremel every Sunday. If I miss a week, I know that it has to be done the next week. Long nails on a dog are one of my "pet peeves" - it can make walking so much more difficult, especially for our seniors. Having a weekly schedule makes the chore less of one, since the nails are nice and short.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I keep a control chart on the fridge for recording heartworm pills and nails. My bifocals make me nervous about using a clipper so I will dremel in between visits to a groomer for actual nail trims.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest GeekyLyndsay

Got out a bowl of yummies, got the clicker, watched a youtube video and put on netflix for him...

turned on the dremel and he barely looked at me. It tickled him a couple times... and the rest of the time HE SLEPT! After I did all that preparation, too! His paws are way quieter already! Going to do one more round tonight to fix a couple nails up.

I can't even imagine going six weeks between nail trims!

If you do it weekly, it just takes a few minutes!

I think a LOT of the hounds I see photos of on GT have nails that are more aptly described as talons and way too long.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Celestrina

Vinnie has really long quicks so he 'clicks' just about all of the time.

Same with Angie. She just had her nails done and can still sometimes hear clicks.

Got out a bowl of yummies, got the clicker, watched a youtube video and put on netflix for him...

turned on the dremel and he barely looked at me. It tickled him a couple times... and the rest of the time HE SLEPT! After I did all that preparation, too! His paws are way quieter already! Going to do one more round tonight to fix a couple nails up.

Way to go, that's awesome!

Getting him started right away like this will let you get/keep them short!

My girl's quicks are rather long (and she has all black nails, so it is SO easy to quick). I get them dremeled every week, but some of them are still longer than I'd like!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest chickenpotpie

I'm scared to death of doing her nails so I get them done at petsmart. She still clicks though her nails are really short. I think its just how she walks sometimes (especially when she's tired!)