Chelsea Seems Sad

Guest daniellering

Guest daniellering

I've had her for six months and she's been adapting beautifully. However, the past few days she seems low energy and sad when normally she follows me everywhere and is interested in playing. Appetite still there, but she doesn't enjoy her walks and keeps stopping, looking around. We haven't been on a long one for a while. It is hot and muggy here in DC, and there have been several storms during which she hides in the bathroom.

I can't seem to cheer her up, and petting her or giving attention doesn't get me anywhere. Barring any med issues (she's been healthy) does this seem normal when the weather is stormy? Anyone else have a dog like this? She's only 3.

Danielle and Chelsea

It could just be the heat/humidity and stormy weather/fireworks. It does a number on my Birdie. She doesn't get over the top anxious, but listless, and standoffish along with the panting.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Cody HATED the heat! Come fall, she'll probably be spunky again...

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Waterdog66

Find her some water.

A cool stream, a pond or failing that a children's paddling pool.

She will have a blast. (Grey's may not swim but they can surely enjoy the water)

I agree that the heat takes the playfulness out of my boys....

Also, she may be feeling very settled. Not following you may be a sign of confidence. They have a way of looking sad even when they are not.....Don't let it make you feel bad! :)

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Probably her "summer behavior." All mine want to do is lay around - either in the house or out in the yard. Greys don't seem to do well in high heat and humidity. As someone said, try walking really early in the day.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest daniellering

Thanks all! I hope this hot, muggy weather breaks soon! We're all getting a little stir-crazy. I'm going to take her to play with some grey friends tomorrow morning at 7:15, so hopefully it will at least be bearable and perk my little girl up!

Stay cool,

Danielle

George doesn't care for the heat, and neither do I, but we don't curtail our daily exercise program because of that. We can't. I have to work, he has to be good in the house all day while I do so.

I get up far earlier than I normally would to insure I have the time to take him on a long walk every single work day, all year long. He had some pretty bad S.A. when I first adopted him, and part of our program was sufficient exercise to tire him out EVERY DAY.

I see on G.T. over and over people who stop exercising their dogs in summer and/or winter, and I wonder why. Sure, you don't want to walk 2 miles when it's 90 degrees. But if you have to set your alarm for an hour earlier, you can do that. He's not going to get heat stroke in 70 degree weather at 5:30 AM. Nor am I.

I agree with Robin though; this is probably not "sadness," but she's passed through the velcro stage and is just doing her own thing. You're interpreting her independence, maybe, with being sad.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

How was she at play group?

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest daniellering

Hi, she ran a lot this morning and seemed to enjoy it. She was obviously tired from playing today, but then it still seemed different in that she wasn't interested in walks, didn't want to play with any toys, etc. even much later. It's stormy here all week, and she snuck off to the bathroom a few times to hide. I guess the daily threat of storm just puts her in a funk maybe.

I was able to rile her up tonight. I'm working on pairing the squawker with the Come command, so she really enjoyed the steak reward! I tried to get her to turn in with us for the night (when she doesn't she wakes me up super early). But she seemed so miserable to stay in the bedroom that I finally let her out.

Guest Gemma

I agree that it's likely the heat. Peyton always gets sluggish during the day at this time of year. We walk him first thing in the morning before it gets too hot, and again at night after dark. When Fall is upon us, he gets a real pep in his step! The cool weather definitely makes him frisky. :)

Guest daniellering

Hi, Chelsea is a lot better. We had thunderstorms here for a solid week, and they finally moved out last night. I went to say goodnight, and she cockroached! Today she's back to her old self, even more affectionate. Surprisingly the fireworks are not freaking her out.

The weather forecast has been wrong so much, but its amazing how she (and animals in general) can *feel* the changes as opposed to relying on science/technology...

Danielle