Dog Park

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

So we took Victoria to the dog park this weekend for the first time. Lots of dogs there and they all did fine. We did notice she stayed far away from the smaller dogs. The larger dogs there was sniffing but for the most part she was like "meh". She seemed to seek out all the humans for any type of affection. We'd try to get her to run or play but she wasn't having it. My mom has a dog and she goes over there a lot and she has been to some car meets we go to where others have dogs so its not like shes never had any social interaction before with other dogs. Does anyone else's babies have issues with smaller dogs or just seem anti social with other dogs?

Edited by 18tjettagrl

Guest Clawsandpaws

Dudley doesn't care either. We were going to the dog park every day until he was bit on Easter (not serious, more of a nip, but it broke the skin) now we just go to meet up with other Greyhounds on the weekend at another park. He will sniff other dogs, big or small, but really doesn't care. He just wants to see people, poop a bajillion times and leave. He will only run if he is by himself. We have been going to the park for over a year now.

She may just be overwhelmed, maybe if you tried going at an off-peak time (I go at 7:30 am) she can get used to the area and maybe the odd dog or two. I prefer not to go to the park anymore anyways, I am lucky that our group has their own "greys only" play yard not too far.

Dudley NEVER plays with other dogs, even greyhounds, he never chases, never joins a run, etc. He has interacted with well over a thousand dogs by now, so I think he just doesn't care. I don't push it, I like getting all his attention :)

Guest Doggone

Autumn is also indifferent to medium-to-large dogs, and small dogs, if they're yappy and hyper, just seem to annoy her. Since she's also a fairly indolent dog, there's really no point in taking her to a dog park. :(

Plus, with the hot weather we have here, I'd be afraid of heat stroke; she's having problems with these temperatures even on walks!

Henry used to be pretty disinterested in the dog park, but every once and awhile, a certain dog would come along and bring out his playful side. We kept going fairly regularly just for the socialization aspect. Then when Truman came along, we were going several times a week. After time, Henry grew to love the dog park. Now, if I even say the words "dog park," he practically knocks me over. So while I do think some dogs are genuinely not "dog park dogs," some are able to enjoy it once it becomes more familiar and they have more positive associations.

Guest 18tjettagrl

Since it was her first time we will probably go back in giving it a try again. I guess I maybe enjoyed it more than all of them lol. I'm a huge animal person so I was enjoying seeing all the different breeds. Little nervous she wasn't on a leash but guess it was ok as the other dogs sniffed then went about their way playing. I assuming they are regulars. She seemed to like the car ride the best. My husband Jack says it's almost like we drive a fancy sports car when we have her out walking. Everyone wants to stop is and look at her and some have even taken pics. I hope she's been smiling! LOL!!!

Not uncommon as some Greys just don't play with other breeds. Then you will find some that have best friends that are another breed. It just depends on the pup.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Two of my three love to torment the "slow" dogs at the dog park. My big boy and little girl will "hunt" together and pick a victim out of the crowd, then run said mark into the ground. We don't go very often as it is not fair to regular dogs to have my two race cars pin them when running.

Guest johnmclaren

Dogs are generally a little apprehensive when they are taken to a park. They take time in becoming friendly with other dogs. All you need to do is take your dog regularly to the park and make sure your dog becomes friendly and behaves normally with other dogs.

Dogs are generally a little apprehensive when they are taken to a park. They take time in becoming friendly with other dogs. All you need to do is take your dog regularly to the park and make sure your dog becomes friendly and behaves normally with other dogs.

Two of my three love to torment the "slow" dogs at the dog park. My big boy and little girl will "hunt" together and pick a victim out of the crowd, then run said mark into the ground. We don't go very often as it is not fair to regular dogs to have my two race cars pin them when running.

Yup. My two do this as well. We only go to the park when we can get a run with only greyhounds or alone!

Annie does not like yappy small dogs. On our walks, she'll pull to cross the street if we pass a yard with yappy dogs. They are annoying to both of us. The only dogs Annie plays with are other Greyhounds and it's usually at the annual picnic of my group. About a year ago I was at local park walking the trail and in the fenced dog park there were 3 Greyhounds. Turns out they were adopted from the same group I work with. She was excited to see them and 2 of the 3 ran with her but not for long. Bottom line is that I think most Greys aren't into other dogs.

Guest 18tjettagrl

Well here is the kicker. When we go walking, she is social with every dog. It's so odd!! She sniffs does the jumpy thing like let's play and a little bark. Maybe she's just odd like her mom. Lol 😜

Guest JessieRahl

Claire took to the dog park pretty much right away. She loves to run in the open space, and with the other dogs, big or small. She's just got a more open personality than most normal greys, it seems to me. When I dog sit my mom's grey, she doesn't go much further than ten or twenty feet from me before coming back within about five feet lol.

It's probably just personality, I would guess.

Mine are breed snobs. They pretty much ignore all the other dogs. They sniff, run a bit, play in the doggie pool and ignore the other dogs. Every now and then they'll play with a dog or so but that's about it. Our dog parks aren't very busy so it's not usually an issue. Molly LOVES the people and attention. :) If we last 20-30 minutes it's a long visit.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My Whippet youngster loves it and loves to be chased. He will antagonize other dogs until they chase him around (he always wins). My super senior Whippet (alomst 16) loves to wander around and sniff and pee on everything. He doesn't play, and he growls if another dog sniffs him too aggressively, but most know to just leave him alone. My senior Borzoi just rolls in the mud hole and sniffs and pees. My senior Greyhound likes to trot all around, go to people for petting, and will occasionally give chase to the young Whippet and his friends, which is a delight to see. It's better when it's cold out- these days, she rarely runs because it's so hot. She likes it best in the rain or cold.

Cody was a breed snob - really only liked other greys!

I had her in a fenced ballfield once (early on) with my brother's lab. Lab takes off galumphing (is it REALLY running??) across the field. Cody let her get 1/2 way across, then took off & ran by her, turned her head & barked at her, then took off!!! Teasing the poor 'fat' lab!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest oldgreymom

I didn't realize that greyhounds were partial to their own kind. My guy seems to like everyone, but I still worry when he sees a smaller dog that he will think it's prey. Not sure how to get over MY fear and I'm afraid I may be communicating this to him :o

Brooks was a lot like Victoria (from the OP) at first. He tends to hang back at the dog park. He'll survey the scene but won't initiate play or race around -- favoring a slow trot around the perimeter once he gets his bearings. The one time we took him to the mega-dogpark in Middletown, DE there was a woman with both a large dog and a small dog (a Jack Russell) in the 25+ lb. dog section. I held Brooks firm on his leash and his muzzle was still on, while this little nuisance yipped and jumped at his backside. Not a pleasant experience. So, suffice to say, he used to be mostly pleased with the company of new humans and that was it. Sounds a lot like Victoria.

This was similar to his behavior in foster care and at m&g's, which is why the adoption folks thought he'd be a good solo dog. Of course, what lurks beneath some dogs' calm appearance can be a totally different story when they're a lone dog without a pack.

Now that we have Kali, Brooks is a whole lot happier at home but he still doesn't assert himself much at the dog park. We're using the new park here in Chestertown while it's still relatively unknown (only been open about six weeks), so it's not uncommon to be the only ones there. Kali sprints the length of the park at least once, very quickly approaches all newcomers, and loves to play chase with the smaller dogs on the other side of the fence. Brooks will join her in the greetings and occasionally tag-team sniff a more timid dog, but he'll come back to wherever the humans are within a minute. Some dogs just aren't as gregarious!

Drew and occasionally DW Melody, with Rosie (AMF Ready Made) and Marvin (Bella Riddick) in Louisville. Forever missing Brooks (KC Bastone) and Kali (Swish).

Guest Trammell

Mine doesn't "get it" when playing with other dogs, unless they are breeds such as Rhodesian Ridgeback and Husky. They seem to like the game of chase. Otherwise mine just irritates the others by beating them to their ball (and blocking them out), even though she never touches the ball and is focused on them the whole time. She on the other hand doesn't understand why they won't chase her back! She is a little rough, so only first thing in the morning, or last thing at night do I ever take her, when there are only 1 or 2 dogs that I can scope out before hand (is that a husky!?!?). She gets to play with dogs in our yard anyway.

Guest Jchallis87

no dog parks for us. dodger chases the little dogs and picks them up and she nibbles the big dogs bums to get them to run and they dont like that shes been in a couple situations where the dog she was bothering snapped at her. she never snapps back she doesnt really know what to do but she plays rough, she grabs the back of dogs necks and the bum nibblign pisses off the park dogs so no doggie park for her. as for blitz she generally leaves other dogs alone but she doesnt like being sniffed by males and she will give them warning yips so shes usually ok however now with the loss of her leg i have found dogs follow her and try to pick fights and shes gotten much more defensive since the loss of limb so i fear for an unfair dog brawl to break out so we are just going to avoid the parks all together. BOTH hounds are guilty of joining dog fights at the park though. as soon as a dog yelps or screams both of them perk up and be line it for the fight. rotten tag teamers lol

even more curious... Blitz HATES greyhounds. HATES them! we have one in our neighbourhood and she could see him from a football field away he doesnt even need to be close and she goes bananas!! snarling barking spitting fur on the back of her neck is up...i have NEVER seen her act like this in the 5 years i have had her but he brings this out. we tried to meet them once but she was so on edge when she got close to him i was like no....not happening. so now on walks it doesnt matter where he is if he is within eye sight she is not pleased. the other little female we have in the neighbourhood LOVES other hounds and she came over all wagging and sniffing and blitz stood theres and growled. didnt do much else but growled the entire time she was around and really didnt want her to get much closer so we didnt chance it. all other dogs shes perfectly fine with. one of her best friends is a frenchie. strange right?

Edited by Jchallis87