Liver Questions

Ok, so before Zelda even started on her seizure meds, they ran bloodwork on her and I forget if it was the ALT or GGT that was slightly elevated...but due to her seizures becoming more frequent we went ahead with the seizure meds and said we'd do follow up bloodwork. Just ran a bloodwork check up yesterday and the vet called today to let me know that the GGT and ALT are slightly elevated and her bilirubin is now elevated to 1.1. She has been a somewhat finicky eater on/off the last couple of years which always worried me as I was told her sire died from stomach cancer. Besides her seizures there are random times when I'll call her, she'll come trotting over and right when she gets to me she'll start kinda coughing/hacking up (who knows what), takes a second then goes away.

She is going in for a bile acid test, which due to the holidays I won't take her in til July 12th. I've done a quick search online and there are a whole list of things that this could be (including the seizure meds)...but my biggest fear is cancer since it's so prevalent in her bloodlines...and I just lost Pop in February to Osteo.

The vet doesn't want to suggest cancer yet, but she did say that if the bile acid test shows somthing amiss that she'll want us to do an abdominal ultrasound to try to pinpoint the issue.

Anyone have any experience with this? Our babygirl already has arthritis which she takes glucosamine chondroitin for...my mind just keeps going to worst case scenario and I'm thinking I really can't lose her too, not with Navy guy away...he's always asking about the girls.

Oh, and I don't treat the back yard with any chemicals/fertilizers at all due to having the pups.

TIA

Edited by kolarik1

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Yes, which medications is she taking?

How is her red count (RBC) and hematocrit (HCT or PCV)?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yes they did tell me that...but the one was elevated prior to her starting the meds. She is taking keppra (sp?)...so I am hoping it is just the meds and we can switch her to something else...I have feared the worst though for at least 2 years, especially once she made it past her 6th bday...she just celebrated her 8th bday on Monday with a plain cheeseburger and vanilla ice cream.

Yes, which medications is she taking?

How is her red count (RBC) and hematocrit (HCT or PCV)?

Everything else has always shown up fine for her...I don't have those values right now, I just know about those as those were the ones that were 'off'...well the one was, so they ran another general profile test yesterday.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I have no personal experience with seizures or the meds, but others I know have had good results with Denamarin for liver support.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead