Trying Thunder Shirt

Cinnibuns FREAKS over fireworks. :riphair She shakes uncontrollably and pants and paces. There is no settling her. So today I bought a thunder shirt and will begin using it for short periods of time since we are coming up on the 4th. In our neighborhood they start two days before and continue until the 5th and sometimes later. :shakefinger Never mind the fact that fireworks are illegal in the city and those people are setting of BIG stuff that I can see from my house. AAAAAAHHHHHH The worst part is that they don't do it all at once and get it over with. Oh no, they set off one or two and then 15 or 20 minutes later do another one or two. Then they set off what sounds like a roll of caps that seems to pop for 5 minutes. Anyway, I'm hoping that thunder shirt helps my 9 year old.......... :goodluck

Guest greybookends

I doubt the Thunder shirt will work for the fireworks as it is the noise that effects her. The Thunder shirt reduces the effect the static electricity in the air has on the hound it does nothing for the noise. That is why it does not work for all hounds. Perhaps having something wrapped around her will lend some comfort but the primary purpose of the Thunder shirt is to reduce the static electricity.

Guest greybookends

Close all the windows and turn up the TV or radio. Perhaps your vet can give you something to relax her. I am sorry she is stressed.

I doubt the Thunder shirt will work for the fireworks as it is the noise that effects her. The Thunder shirt reduces the effect the static electricity in the air has on the hound it does nothing for the noise. That is why it does not work for all hounds. Perhaps having something wrapped around her will lend some comfort but the primary purpose of the Thunder shirt is to reduce the static electricity.

I think you are thinking about the Stormdefender shirt. The Thundershirt has no affect on static electricity, and is often used with noise-sensitive dogs. Does it work for all dogs? No. But it's worth giving it a shot.

Advice from my trainer: close up all the windows, turn on the AC, put on background noise, and remain calm. And you are lucky: I had Katie out for her bedtime potty break last night and someone set off a firework. I'm like "really??? It's not even July yet!" And yes, they are illegal here, because of the fire concerns. It's going to be a long two weeks!

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

If the Thundershirt doesn't work, you should ask you vet for a rx for trazadone, which has become a very effective drug for situational anxiety like fireworks and thunder. Xanax and valium are other drugs that are also effective.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I feel for you. Our Monty is terrified of fireworks and thunder (and now the sound of raindrops hitting the leaves outside). He's had a really rough time of it this spring and early summer with all of the rain...and now morons in our neighborhood are using the same fireworks you're seeing (stuff that you can purchase in the Dakotas: BIG sky fireworks). Last night it not only was raining off and on which was bad enough, but people on 3 sides of us within a 3 block radius were using these darned things like it was a freaking competition!

The Thundershirt helps Monty when it is on him before he starts to stress, but doesn't completely prevent the stress. We can prepare for the storms this way, but since we have no idea when people are going to shoot of their stupid fireworks that's a lost cause. Monty has discovered that he can hide in the basement, and he does that (but hates being away from us so he goes down, stays down for a while (10-30 minutes), then comes back up to be with us until it gets bad again and he goes back down). He's getting a lot of exercise with all of the trembling and the travelling those stairs. We put in a nightlight downstairs so he could see his way to the bottom (our stairs aren't carpeted and we wanted it as secure as possible).

Our "night walk" was delayed until about 5 this morning, when the rain was light enough that he could actually do something without freezing up. Poor guy.

Edited by Fruitycake

The Thundershirt helps, but not a cure-all for our thunderphobic girl. We evolved a multi-mode approach:

- walk to minimize the contents of Charlotte's digestive system (i.e., avoid having the poop literally scared out of her)

- 10 units of Calm Gel (K9Granolafactory) about 1/2 hour before the expected fireworks/storm

- Thundershirt on at the same time, if possible

- crate with door closed (muzzle if extreme)

- music (usually jazz or classical)

- one of us lying/sitting at the foot of the crate (this also helped keep Char from trying to open the crate door)

- another 10 units of Calm Gel

- soothing encouraging words in between cursing at the storm/noise

It wasn't perfect, but it got us through without lasting damage. Good luck!

My dogs don't like fireworks either, they get up and walk into the bedroom to hide. I've set it up so there is a dog bed and lots of loud music, they can come and go as they like as I leave the bedroom door open. This time of year the a/c is on and I have fans blowing in there, so that contributes to the noise. The other thing that REALLY helps...Dale Edgar Calm K9 Nutri-Wafers. These days I'm giving one to each dog as a treat after dinner. Last night I heard fireworks going off and then, because it was a Friday home game, Dodger Stadium had fireworks after the game. Carl didn't so much as raise his head, he didn't go to the bedroom, he laid in his bed and slept. The biscuits do not make them loopy, droopy or drowsy, they just seem to take the edge off. I'm halfway through the big jar (I've shared a lot of them with people) and may have to buy another. They really are a godsend.

It's worth "liking" them on Facebook, they often offer great discounts. Through July 31 use the code CALM062013 to get 10% off, also free shipping on $25 and over orders. For my two, these are worth their weight in gold.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest CFPWonder

The thundershirt seems to help our girl. We actually bought it for her when we first got her - more for separation anxiety when we'd leave home - she's overcome that, but we have used it for thunderstorms.

I understand it works on some, but not all. Good luck.

Guest greygirls2

If the Thundershirt doesn't wor try calming collars Calmingcollars.com this works well for my grey and my son's grey who hated the thundershirt. She makes the collars to order....all natural herbs and they are guaranteed so money back if it dioesn't work.

My dogs don't like fireworks either, they get up and walk into the bedroom to hide. I've set it up so there is a dog bed and lots of loud music, they can come and go as they like as I leave the bedroom door open. This time of year the a/c is on and I have fans blowing in there, so that contributes to the noise. The other thing that REALLY helps...Dale Edgar Calm K9 Nutri-Wafers. These days I'm giving one to each dog as a treat after dinner. Last night I heard fireworks going off and then, because it was a Friday home game, Dodger Stadium had fireworks after the game. Carl didn't so much as raise his head, he didn't go to the bedroom, he laid in his bed and slept. The biscuits do not make them loopy, droopy or drowsy, they just seem to take the edge off. I'm halfway through the big jar (I've shared a lot of them with people) and may have to buy another. They really are a godsend.

It's worth "liking" them on Facebook, they often offer great discounts. Through July 31 use the code CALM062013 to get 10% off, also free shipping on $25 and over orders. For my two, these are worth their weight in gold.

I got some of these in this months Bark Box and I agree that they seem to work. I think they're too expensive for me to give every day, but for storms and stuff they'll be great. They smell good to me, but Bu doesn't really like them so I break them into quarters and put some pb on them and he likes them.

Here's what I do for Betsy, and now most of the other hounds:

- Melatonin, one 3 mg tablet at 4, three more with dinner at 5:30 or so; sometimes I give even more

- evening walk at regular time (~7 for her group)

- ThunderShirt immediately after walk

- a/c on, windows closed (standard here anyway)

- TVs in kitchen and living room turned on _loud_ at dusk (~9pm), usually something they hear anyway (HGTV, Food)

- for some, crates

The others get less Melatonin, and only with dinner, but Betsy needs more of it and earlier.

I've tried other things in the past, including cotton balls in the ears, covered crate, and so on. But the above prevents the total meltdown that Betsy used to endure.

This is our holiday weekend. I think we might get some fireworks tonight, but Sunday (probably the worst) and Monday (the official holiday) will be intense.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Sonya - I'm right there with you. Today I purchased a Thundershirt for my 13-1/2+ yr old female grey. I adopted her last year. She is an odd, spooky sort and is TOTALLY noise-phobic (storms, fireworks, noisy kids next door, obnoxious barking Boston Terrier next door, etc). The world, in general, seems to frighten her. Poor baby.

Last year, I continued with the DAP collar she wore at the time of adoption, tried "Composure" treats - and something else that I cannot recall right now?? Had the vet run a full thyroid panel. Last fall I discontinued the collar and treats as they seemed to turn her into a zombie dog. Not sure they helped all that much?

Last year here in Michigan, they expanded the list of legal fireworks. Sigh. So now BIGGER, BADDER, and LOUDER. My Lucy was a train wreck -- wouldn't go outside to potty except early morning hours (meaning she potties in the house and has continued to do so ... ).

It has been stormy here the past week. Yesterday, a rather nasty storm cell rolled through and Lucy was a trembling, shaking, panting, nervous wreck. So today, also at my wit's end, I decided to purchase a Thundershirt.

Just fed her lunch and gave her a 1/2 Xanax -- have to do it now as she won't eat or take pills once the storms or fireworks begin.

I cannot offer any greyt suggestions - but know that you are not alone. I am hoping and praying for more rain which will act as a fireworks deterrent of sorts.

What makes is so hard is the random nature of WHEN people blow off fireworks. I hate this time of year.

Hope you are able to find some combo that alleviates some of Cinnibuns' misery. Hugs.

Guest lucylei

We tried a Thundershirt for separation anxiety - didn't do a thing. The thing is almost like a straight jacket and yet Missy managed to get out of it and chew it up.

Guest BiancasMom

I second the Trazadone! I have used it the last 2 years with my dogs (one non-grey) and it was wonderful. It's like magic, really. They were not sedate and could still move about and go out to potty, etc. but didn't care about all the popping/booming fireworks. If there was a particular loud or house-shaking firework, of course they jumped but they didn't run and hide or start shaking. They just layed back down. In the past I have used Valium and it had made my dogs too sedated. I also use the Thundershirt at the same time as the Trazadone. Not sure if the Thundershirt works, but it couldn't hurt!

We tried a Thundershirt for separation anxiety - didn't do a thing. The thing is almost like a straight jacket and yet Missy managed to get out of it and chew it up.

Carl just got hot in the Thudershirt...he runs hot, was panting soon after I put it on him...had to get rid of it. Rescue Remedy has never worked for any dog I've had, unfortunately. Net Remedy ER 911 worked pretty well (for me, too), but it is hard to find. Dale Edgar is much easier to get, but....uh, not for humans!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest lucylei

Carl just got hot in the Thudershirt...he runs hot, was panting soon after I put it on him...had to get rid of it. Rescue Remedy has never worked for any dog I've had, unfortunately. Net Remedy ER 911 worked pretty well (for me, too), but it is hard to find. Dale Edgar is much easier to get, but....uh, not for humans!

We're currently trying a DAP diffuser. Missy still gets upset when we leave without her but for the first time she fell asleep in the other room and didn't have to sleep in our bedroom...so...we'll see.

I love our Thundershirt, it's a Godsend and I wish it had been invented 10 years ago. My IG is highly storm & noise phobic as well as a stress-puppy out in the world. She automatically gets 0.25mg Melatonin daily with an additional 0.25 when I know it's going to storm plus added Rescue Remedy for trips out and storm days. Those things combined with the Thundershirt will have her sleeping through the worst storm and fireworks. She moves around out in public without her tail plastered to her chest and occasionally you can even tell she has ears!

I hope it works as well for you as it does for us :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest greytkidsmom

The thundershirt works for Kebo in thunderstorm situations. The trick is getting it on BEFORE the thunder. Last night he just slept through a storm that passed through. It does not work for his other anxiety issues though. For that we use trazodone. We used xanax but had maxxed out the dose. With some trial and error you will find what works for your pup or figure out how best to keep her safe despite her fears. Good luck.