Keppra And Peeing

Thunder started the Costco Keppra on Sunday. I've noticed that he doesn't need to pee right away when I let him out like he used to do.

Yesterday when I went home at lunch, he never peed.

This morning, he didn't pee when I let him out first thing, he only pooped. After he ate, I sent him back outside and he finally peed after about 15 minutes to standing there.

I put extra water in his kibble yesterday just in case he's not drinking enough so I would think he would have to pee right away.

He normally only pee's 2-3 times a day and when he does pee, he goes for a long time. He's not a marker at all.

Also, he just stands outside like a statue.

Trying not to freak out- but does this sound weird? I hope it's just the drug and it's a side effect and nothing worse.

One other thing, his Creatine was high (high for a hound) on June 5th so will be retesting in a few weeks. 2.1 was the result.

edited to add:

I just remembered that he woke me up several times last night trying to puke. I don't think anything came up though.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

With Rainey, the Keppra made her "wonky" -- she wasn't necessarily "out of it" but definitely kind of wobbly and zoned out. I don't remember if it was when she was just on Keppra or if it was after we added the Zoni, but she would have these weird "episodes" where for any where from 15 minutes up to 3 hours she would wander around the yard like she'd never seen it before (she'd be out for 10-15 minutes) and would not pee, but as soon as she came in she peed in the house. This happened frequently any time her meds were upped (which happened a lot). Now keep in mind, Rainey's issues were due to something going wrong in her brain, not just the seizures like Thunder -- so I don't know that this is relevant. Since it happened right when we adjusted, I'd have to think it was from the meds but her condition could have exasperated it.

ETA: IIRC these episodes continued for up to 4 days after. Hopefully Thunder will be more normal very soon.

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

You probably want to bring a first morning urine to the vet for a urinalysis. Doesn't sound like an infection but, they should be able to see if there is bacteria in the microscopic. You also want to get the protein and the Specific gravity of the urine and both of those would indicate whether the creat is a concern.

As a note, Larry runs a higher creat but, he also runs a lower specific gravity so he has been on a reduced protein diet for years.

My epi, Lucy has had numerous bouts with UTIs which cause urinary incontinence but, when she does not have a UTI, she holds it a long time (like what you are describing). At one point I was nervous whether she was drinking enough water and I was adding water to her food.

edited to add ... Your note about "standing outside like a statue", Lucy does this all the time. I let her out in the morning and she'll stand there and it's like she's examining every leaf on the trees and every grass stem to make sure they are all the same. She'll check every car that goes by and doesn't take her eyes off of it. If I call her - it's like I don't exist -- she's in her own space. A few minutes later, she's back to her old self.

Edited by MaryJane

• 3 weeks later...

I joined a group on yahoo and posted yesterday asking if anyone noticed peeing issues on keppra. A couple people said they did now that I mention it. Glad it's not just Thunder!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17