Skunk!

when evening potty breaks goes bad...

got Otis in the backyard at 10:30pm yesterday for his last pee...

I saw him get excited and tough maybe it was the stupid neighbor cat that never understand there's a greyhound that lives here..

Otis was play-bowing to something in the yard that did not ran away... just as a try to recall Otis I saw it.. black with a white strip.. I was not quick enough... Otis back-up shaking is head...

but he came back to me instead of trying to play more with the skunk (good boy!)

oh the smell!!

called DH and up in the bathtub...

search the net for the recipe:

1 quart (32 fl oz, nearly 1 liter) Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (U.S.P)

1/4 cup baking soda (Sodium Bicarbonate) *NOT baking powder or washing powder*

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap (such as Ivory)

we did not have the precise quantity but mix what we had.. FYI :the internet site told to be careful using it on dark fur dog because it could ligthed the fur color a little

3 washes later the smell was gone and we had a unhappy dog ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest ShanYu

Oh no poor Otis! I only had to do this with my cat and that was bad enough! that mixture does seem to work very well. You may find that every time it rains or is humid the smell returns (but more faintly thank goodness!).

poor Otis :( Hope he learns from this

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:( Poor boy ! Happened to us once, had that smell in my nose for weeks

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

Josie - Sorry to hear about Otis and the skunk! I have had to wash Shadow FOUR different times. He has black fur that turns red after the washing! Greyhounds do not have the best of memories, especially the ones with a high prey drive. I have tried to make the fencing around the yard "skunk proof" by sealing up entry holes. That has worked best. We have a chain link fence however!

I have that formula printed out and wrapped around the hydrogen peroxide bottle waiting for the next time. Shadow is about to have his thirteenth birthday, which means he is slowing down. I know he would still chase a skunk!

Robin and Shadow

Edited by Robin

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Do they ever catch the skunks? I'm hoping to move out to the country and this is one of my worst fears.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Stardude82

My boy managed to get the tip of one's tail this morning. My fault as I normally am very paranoid about keeping them indoors at night, but last night I fell asleep during their nightly turnout and the door was left open all night. My nightowl DW who normally does this is out of town visiting her sister.

He also managed to wipe most of the smell off himself and the hydrogen peroxide solution did the rest. However, he apparently used every soft surface available to try to clean himself off with. Spent a good part of the morning wiping everything he touched down with bleach or vinegar.

Doesn't smell too bad all things considered. All the skunks I've seen out in LA are scrawny emaciated things, maybe they just don't stink as much.

Edited by Stardude82