Post-Dental Care: Part 2- Getting Hound To Chew Kibble Again

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

Greta had her dental 9 days ago now, and we've been soaking her kibble to really mush it up, but we're starting to transition her back to solid kibble.

I have no reason to think she's in pain, but this evening when we tried to give her dinner to her without soaking it, she just inhaled and swallowed it. A) I think she's gotten used to not needing to chew her mushed up food, and B) I think she liked just being to inhale and swallow.

Any tips for getting her to use her jaw again?

There is a possibility that she didn't actually chew the food before, but you just didn't notice then. Or at least that's the case with cats. If she's eating, is it all that important that she actually chew? If it's the speed that is bothering you, I'd try either spreading the food out on a cookie sheet, or putting golf balls/large rocks in the bowl, so she has to eat around them.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest lynne893

I just want her to be able to digest the food properly and also lessen the chances of bloat!

I put an object in her dish to slow her down and that seems to be working :)

I've had dogs my entire life and I've never seen one, ever, chew their kibble.

And I don't know where you got the idea that chewing their food lessens the chance of bloat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck