Vomiting Yellow Bile In The Afternoon

Twice in less than two weeks, Larry has vomited bright yellow bile mid-day. I'm guessing? it's from an empty stomach - we feed them once at 5:15 - 5:30am and again at 3:45(4)pm (so that it's been over 2 hours when they get their walk at night, I'm paranoid about bloat). He usually gets plenty of treats during the day, but I have cut back on them quite a bit. Maybe I need to give him some nice cookies around 1:30pm? I would understand it more if it was in the morning since he has to go 14 hours between feeding instead of just 10 during the day. :dunno:

Zeke is on Pepcid (generic) and has been for months now, for puking issues when we first got him. Can dogs be on Pepcid indefinitely? Maybe Larry needs to start getting one too? They aren't cheap (and Bruce and I have enough meds each month to pay for!) but I don't want him not feeling good.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I have to ask, is Larry vomiting or regurgitating? I had similar incidents with Plummer. I videoed the vomiting or regurgitating and sent it email to my vet. She was able to determine he was regurgitating not vomiting. My situation did not end up good, but each situation is different. I just thought I would recommend the above for your vet's treatment of the symptom. Good luck.

I gave both a hamburger bun around 1:30pm so we'll see if that helps. He probably still has some of the Pepcid in his system from the one I gave him yesterday afternoon so might not be needed.

Thanks for the advice!

I have to ask, is Larry vomiting or regurgitating? I had similar incidents with Plummer. I videoed the vomiting or regurgitating and sent it email to my vet. She was able to determine he was regurgitating not vomiting. My situation did not end up good, but each situation is different. I just thought I would recommend the above for your vet's treatment of the symptom. Good luck.

I'm not really sure :unsure: he does it at least 7 hours after his last meal so there's nothing in his stomach but the bile, I'm guessing. He does hack up his food after eating, almost every single time. I've been letting it sit in the water (I've always added water to their food) for a bit longer to soften up and that's helped a tiny bit.

if he does vomit/whatever again I'll see if I can get it on film, that's a good idea.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I just went back and read about your boy :( :( I'm so sorry!!!

but now I'm scared to death after reading all those issues. I pray it's just an empty tummy :hope:unsure

Ryder regularly did this and the advice of our vet (after trying to full tummy idea) was to break the cycle and give his body a chance to relax. He prescribed Cerenia. His first dose honestly knocked him out for hours, so we cut the amount back, and gave it to him for a few days - more to control nausea if anything else. It worked.

Now we stay on top of it with a bedtime cookie every night and trying not to stretch meals times too far apart. Mine get fed 7am or so and 530 or so and they seem to do just fine with this schedule.

We use Pepcid on Kasey because of acid reflux, as opposed to him vomiting. I had to film Kasey so the vet would understand what he does, licking lips and trying to swallow - basically the acid getting into his throat. The Pepcid works wonders, and we only need to use it occassionally.

Good luck!

Edited to add: The puke was always bright yellow liquid for my boys, absent of any food, etc.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest greytkidsmom

I give all three of my dogs 10mg of pepcid with breakfast every day and have done so for years. The generic is relatively inexpensive and if you want to save a little extra get the 20mg tablets and split them. It has completely eliminated the 5pm pukes (we eat at 6 and 6 here).