Just Diagnosed With Squama Cell Carcinoma!

Guest elliemae421

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest elliemae421

Been awhile since I have been on here! Willie is doing better! He was rushed to Ohio State this past Thursday.

He started not wanting to eat around Saturday and been coughing more! I feared the worst.

Thinking this tonsil tumor was starting to interfere with breathing,eating etc!I was down to baby food and then not even that.

I do not want him to suffer what so ever. I made an appointment with my vet,perhaps to see what is going on or to put him to sleep.

He was clearly uncomfortable. Playing in snow on Tuesday and not eating at all Wednesday. I slept on the couch with him.

So,after I called my vet in tears and the decision making I felt it was only fair to contact Dr.London at Ohio State,

and let her know what was going on since she is clearly responsible for the Pallladia he takes to keep him alive from this wicked cancer.

She really wanted to see him after I described what was going on.

I agreed to bring him out,we got there around 3:45,went through E.R. and he was stable enough she saw him and

she switched to another oncologist due to her having to leave for a function.

The plan was to keep him overnight get him a little more happy from pain and do the CT scan in the early afternoon Friday,pending blood work.

It all came back normal so it was still on. In fact his blood work they said was very good.

I drove back home,cried the whole way worrying about him and did I make the right choice,worrying about pain from these CT scans etc!

They called in the a.m. and by then my boss let me have the day off (thank god) I was a wreck!

The CT was scheduled at 1:00 p.m. unless there were any problems then they would call and tell me.

My plan was to leave around 12:40 and get there around 3:30,they said that would be perfect he would have woken up from anesthesia etc!

I got there and was seen immediately and I was on pins and needles bracing myself for the worst news ever.

They started with the X rays,nothing had spread to the lungs they were great!

His tonsils have actually shrunk thanks to the Palladia it did better than we hoped! Hoping was to cut off the blood supply and vessels to the tumor!

The lymph node is stable on the right side,left side a little bigger but they were not too concerned.

What they found his from the last X rays to now he has a megaesophagus,do not know why.

They can gulp a big pocket of air and it can happen,he was nervous at first when they took him back she said!

He ended up in ICU overnight then over to oncology in the morning.

So I have to elevate his elevated dishes even more and roll his soft food into meatball size pieces.

So he does not aspirate and it go into his lungs and get pneumonia and could be fatal.

They have no reason for him not eating or coughing.

We are stopping Piroxicam and replacing it with prednisone to stimulate his appetite and works as an anti inflammatory as well.

Also he will be off Palladia or a week to see if this helps out as well.

Then when we start him back up on Palladia it might even get to that tumor even better.

So now I am so delighted to see this hard work paid off and the Palladia is doing it's job and even better than expected.

Ohio State was more than happy with the results of the Palladia on this type of cancer,and it was Willie's only option to survive!

I'm sure she is happy to see that this drug worked out in this type of cancer and perhaps better than anticipated!

I hope other greys and breeds can benefit from this knowledge down the road!

I told them they paid it forward for me so I wanted to return the favor with letting them do the CT scan and X-rays

I am so glad on just a last ditch effort I decided to call Dr.London and let her know about Willie.

I might have put him to sleep and for no reason.I would never forgive myself!

I called my vet for the appointment before Dr.London…I really thought this was it,and could not bear to see him like that.

Something told me to call her,someone up there is clearly watching over me and my boy!

It is not his time,he has Christmas to get ready for!

He did eat as much as I wanted to give him last night,this morning and ate good tonight! A little runny stool,but Flagyl will take care of that!

We go back in a month for blood work and 2 months for chest X rays.

We did get to go to Greyhounds Reach the Beach,my first time there and my first vacation in 9 years!

Of course it was Willie,Ellie Mae and Marshall's first time too!

Yes it rained but we made the best of it! Willie loved the ocean,clearly!

The one day he was standing there facing it and he just plunked his butt down watching it and was catching or trying to catch the sea foam if possible!

I will post a picture of it,priceless the way he watched the water and waves rolling in!

:noevil

I am so glad to read that Willie is okay and continues to fight a good fight. We will continue to send good thoughts for your boy and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Continued good thoughts for you and Willie.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest elliemae421

It has been a week and really just got him back to eating normally the past few days! They changed the Piroxicam to Prednisone every other day.

He is doing quite well on it I might say. He lost so much weight in that 1 1/2 weeks time,poor guy1 I'm boosting him up slowly.

Have not heard yet from Dr.London about starting back on the Palladia yet1 She might let it go another week,waiting for her to call me over the weekend.

His dishes are at 24" now they were at 14" bumped them up and he can eat comfortably.

Wow, your roller coaster ride with Willie has sure been a wild one. I'm so glad to hear that he is stabilizing and feeling good right now, and that his fight continues.

How great that you were able to get to Dewey. I would love to go, but the distance combined with my work schedule always put the kibosh on that. I'd love to see the photos of your crew on the beach!

You are doing an amazing job with him!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest elliemae421

Wow, your roller coaster ride with Willie has sure been a wild one. I'm so glad to hear that he is stabilizing and feeling good right now, and that his fight continues.

How great that you were able to get to Dewey. I would love to go, but the distance combined with my work schedule always put the kibosh on that. I'd love to see the photos of your crew on the beach!

You are doing an amazing job with him!

Thanks! I got to figure out how to post pictures1 I changed my avatar picture to one of Willie on the beach!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest elliemae421

Just a quick note to let you all know that Fast Willie crossed the bridge this past Tuesday on December 10th at 12:24 p.m. at the Ohio State University Veterinary Hospital!

We were supposed to be there on a routine visit there and on Friday the 6th it clearly was evident it would not be routine.

He quit eating on Friday and I was in constant contact with Dr.London out there.

I will post more about this soon I am having a very hard time dealing with this.

It was a week ago now he was still with me at home live and breathing and he is no more as of this day.

It is just so painful to handle as I sit here by myself typing this thinking that the last time I was on here everything was okay….now it is not.

He earned his wings for sure! :angelwings I miss him so much it's killing me! :(

Guest OPointyDog

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear he had to leave you. The anguish of loss is awful. Try to remember all the good, happy times and know you gave him an amazing home. :grouphug

I'm so sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)