Just Diagnosed With Squama Cell Carcinoma!

Guest elliemae421

Guest elliemae421

Willie was just diagnosed from histopathology report with this cancer which was in his right tonsil and it was removed on 6/14 just over a week ago.

We went to Ohio State for the surgery.

We are going back tomorrow,on Tuesday to discuss treatment options. Any ideas? I will accept anyone's help at this point.

Should have been on here sooner but obligations get in the way.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe radiation will be recommended---while your there ask them about trying cyber knife--I know Ohio Stste doesn't have the machine but, if its a worthy treatment option I'm sure you don't mind driving (there's a clinic equipped with one near me).

http://www.vcaspecialtyvets.com/animal-specialty-center/departments-doctors/departments/radiation-oncology

Edited by tbhounds

Guest elliemae421

They say until they check him in a month radiation is not an option. He has some very small spots on his lung and that is why. They have him on a new drug called Palladia,he starts this tomorrow. I just got back drove through a monster storm and I am beat! Thanks for the help,I am not giving up and will listen to anyone who is willing to help me. :ghplaybow

Edited by elliemae421

No experience with this one but hope all goes extra-well for you and your pupper!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

sending good thoughts :hope

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

:goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

• 2 weeks later...
Guest elliemae421

Sorry I have not been on here due to a lot of work regarding Willie! He is on Palladia,first day was June 26th.

On Thursday he would cry have no idea why and into Friday. Dropped him off at veterinarians,kept him all day.

They ran blood work no abcess or infection is what Ohio State was looking for.

We upped his meds gave him Rimydal injection and by late evening seemed better. Even better on Saturday.

This week he had his 6th round of Palladia,on Monday is crying a bit but not as bad on Tuesday.

Not sure what would be causing this nor Ohio State has any idea. He eats very well lately. I'm at my wits end over this.

Could it be the Palladia working it's job on the tumor and it burns? I wish he could talk to me.

I feel bad not knowing what to do but every function is normal right down to potty time. No fever at all.

He had CBC and Profile and UA done at my vets as requested 2 weeks after Palladia introduction and is being sent straight from lab to Ohio State yesterday.

I just do not know what to do,then I let him out he walks,trots and runs a little fine as he normally does.

It does appear to be in the neck throat area as I see him holding his head.

Any ideas?

I agree with tbhounds.

Could be other pain, or the medication doing it's job. I'm not a vet, but I read that a potential side effect for a very low percentage of Palladia patients (8%) were reported to have a bit of general pain. I imagine the benefits of the medication are most important for Willie. Be sure to keep your vets informed of the timing of his symptoms.

Guest elliemae421

Yes,he is taking tramadol! Two twice a day and can up it if need be!

Also 1 rimydal,through vets at Ohio State.

Talked to them at Ohio state tonight,He wants me to nix the 1 Rimydal since on Thursday he will start taking Piroxicam on off days of Palladia.

Piroxicam will work sort of like Rimydal but better on the tummy too. I told him everything tonight,so he is waiting for all lab work to come in.

That was done yesterday at my vets office routinely after 2 weeks of being on Palladia. He had CBC,full profile and UA done yesterday.

If there are any changes which he doubts since we did a quick blood work on 6/28 the first time he had pain issues. I appreciate all of your help.

I have been documenting Willie's daily events in a notebook. I have a big bottle of Tramadol on hand,I would not let him be in pain,trust me.

Edited by elliemae421

Is Willie getting some sort of stomach protectant(s)? NSAIDs can cause stomach ulcers/bleeds, and something like Prilosec (omeprazole) can help prevent this. Carafate/sucralfate can also help heal the stomach if there is some damage already started.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but I wouldn't equate Willie's pain symptoms with Palladia (or any other drug) "working". If he is in pain, it is not directly because of cancer cells dying. It is more likely due to damaging side effects of the drugs.

Palladia (as I'm sure you know) is serious chemo. It can have some very serious side effects. If he has bloody stool, Palladia should be stopped immediately for a period of time. If the Palladia is restarted after an episode(s) of bloody stool, it may be a good idea to try a reduced dosage. It sounds like he is getting regular checks on his bloodwork which has shown his immune system isn't taking too big a hit from the Palladia. (I know many dogs on the drug have to take periodic Palladia "holidays").

My girl was on Palladia for a few months, and although it didn't seem to affect her bloodwork, she had severe gastro-intestinal side effects from it and we had to discontinue it (because she couldn't continue to live on it). OSU no longer recommends using Palladia as prevention for lung mets for osteo, but it seems they still find it useful for preventing lung mets for other types of cancer. (Not all oncologists have stopped recommending it for osteo met prevention, either - Twiggy's local oncologist still believes it shows great promise).

I hope it is maybe as simple as adding an acid reducer or switching nsaids, and I hope Willie continues to enjoy life with you for a very long time!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest elliemae421

No,I do not think you are being harsh at all. Yes,he is on something to protect his belly.

The list suggested famotidine every 12 hours.I am on that train for him with that.

None of the side effects are present such as bloody stool,loose stool,dark colored stool,etc.

He eats very well no vomiting or anything like the side effects on the sheet.

His stool is fine I rush over to see it when he is done and he gives me this odd look and scurries off.

I have kept a very watchful eye on the potty time.

He just started this Palladia on 6/27 and I have him on over the counter famotidine,which is listed on the sheet.

He was on the omeprazole prior after surgery.

This sheet with Palladia said to use the Famotidine,any difference in the two famotidine vs.Omeprazole? Is one better than the other,I have both?

Please let me know if you think one is better than the other.

Thanks Twiggys mom for being so helpful! I look forward to your response. Willie is my first Greyhound,and this is so very difficult.

I don't think there is any great difference in effectiveness between famotidine and omeprazole. I saw one mention (can't remember where) that omeprazole might be slightly more beneficial in certain applications, but it wasn't anything definitive.

Like you, I'm really good at examining stool (I even use clear poop bags :rofl , you should see the looks I get!)

I should mention, I'm just a layperson with a hound who's battling cancer, I only know what I've read and experienced. Actually, I did have a cat (Rover) who had oral squamous cell cancer - he was about 17 when he was diagnosed, and lived well for another year or so (I didn't do chemo for him, and this was pre-Palladia, anyway).

OSU is great, I brought Twiggy there for her amputation, and they were just wonderful to us.

PS: You're not far from my mom's family in Somerset County! Beautiful country out there, and really great memories for me!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest elliemae421

Willie's is oral as well. It is his right tonsillar area. It was removed but there is also metastasis of the the lymph node as well.

I looked at the top and did not realize I left out where the cancer is. He seems pretty good right now.

He is not holding his head/neck area so guarded as earlier.

The poop thing is funny though. I stake out and watch for him to go then I check it out,neighbor kids are watching thinking I am some kind of weirdo,I don't care!

I flipped out on the one I saw him throw a hockey puck at my other grey Marshall while I was watching the dogs out the window.

I told the mom next time I will involve the police,she thought hat would not send the right message!

I bet it will,our police chief owns 2 greyhounds and one of his officers I groom her mixed breed dog! His mom made him apologize to me.

Then I had a party for Willie's 10th birthday last year and had about 10 of his greyhound friends and owners over and my vet.

They saw him in the yard and one of my friends went over and was nice to him and wanted him to come over for cake but he was way too embarrassed,he knew they knew about him.

He had a guilty vibe about him.

Back to Willie though,he really is puzzling me, Ohio State wants me to call them to see how he is doing. They would see him in a heart beat if this continues.

So if I switch between the 2 belly remedies it should not hurt,tired of real spelling.....getting sleepy! :sleepy Do you think it will hurt to switch between the 2?

Where in Somerset County is your mom's family from?

I'm sure I have 5 or 6 dogs to groom tomorrow!

Please let me know what you think about switching between the 2 belly remedies,I'm tired going to try and sleep a bit!

Thanks for your help and input!

Edited by elliemae421

Regarding GI protectants--I would call Osu (Dr London) and ask exactly which one you should use. Also see if you should use carafate prior to giving the piroxicam (that can be tough on the tummy as well as the palladia. I can see why they would want try the piroxicam-it can be shown to have anti-cancer properties. Keep us posted !

Guest elliemae421

I will thanks! I did talk to Dr.Kisseberth today and he still suggests the Famotidine.

I will go with that for now! I can call and ask tomorrow,he starts the piroxicam tomorrow,being Thursday in the A.M.!

I will call my vet and get some Carafate as well. How much Carafate,just a ball park amount?

I will call and talk to Sheryl London as well! THANKS for the help,I really APPRECIATE it!

I will keep all posted! He is much better today,even after the Apocalypse out there! We are getting more real soon.

A few counties have tornado warnings right now!

Here I am this morning watching Willie take a poop,waiting and dash out there and this BIG BOLT of lightening hit soon as I got to see his gift in the yard! LOL!

I deemed it was perfect in color,consistency and made a dash back to the house and the skies just opened up!

My neighbor got 4 inches of water in her basement around 10:30 I was afraid to open my door and look as I come in from being at work!

All was good french drains and sump pump working good! I just heard it come on 2 X since I have been home and it is not raining! It hit our area so bad!

South of Pittsburgh pretty much detours roads shut down,it was the worst I have seen since Hurricane Ivan in 2004!

I'm glad to hear Willie is feeling better today!

I hope you stay dry, all these storms across the country are driving everyone nuts. Good thing you both missed that lightening bolt!

(my mom's family is from the Berlin area - I haven't been back there in a long time, but I got to wave at it on my drive to GIG this spring)

Guest elliemae421

He is starting this pain thing again tonight,I'm so confused with this! No more rimydal,just tramadol! I really am at my wits end here.

There is no fever at all. He started about 2 hours ago with this all was fine until then. He ate fine,I don't get it! It seems you can pet him almost anywhere then you might pet him again and he cries...sometimes and sometimes not. Very confusing here.

Edited by elliemae421