Doolin's Bloodwork

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

I just had a question to those who know more about bloodwork than I... At the beginning of the month a vet was looking for greyhounds to do a blood study (for anemia or something? Don't remember). We brought in Doolin and Mira, Minerva couldn't because she was on medication at the time. We got the blood results today. Doolin had some abnormalities in his while Mira's was pretty much perfect. She said they are "somewhat normal for greyhounds". I'm not sure if I should be worried or not? His weight is better than ever, great appetite, he's very active and playful so it doesn't seem like anything should be off. Just wondering what you guys thought.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.2&thid=13f78f0df9a506c6&mt=application/pdf&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui%3D2%26ik%3D1bfef5f72a%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13f78f0df9a506c6%26attid%3D0.2%26disp%3Dsafe%26realattid%3D7523796ca21894cc_0.2%26zw&sig=AHIEtbRHodBQQ_aNpiY5y1fsdBoTUOqjpA

Can't view the doc?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

None of those are off by enough that I would personally raise concern with a client if the dog was clinically doing well. What is the low 5.2 value for though? That's the only one I'm not sure what it is supposed to be lined up with?

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest zombrie

None of those are off by enough that I would personally raise concern with a client if the dog was clinically doing well. What is the low 5.2 value for though? That's the only one I'm not sure what it is supposed to be lined up with?

Good to know, thanks! I guess I just got a little worried since Mira's was almost perfect and I was seeing so much red in his. The low 5.2 threw me off too, I have no idea what that is.. nothing is lined up with it

I couldn't figure out the 5.2 either. Mysteries of the universe ..... :lol

As long as he's acting hale and hearty I wouldn't worry but I would want to keep an eye on the RBC, HGB, HCT -- those are on the low side for a greyhound. Could be totally normal for him -- I have had both ends of the spectrum amongst my dogs. Are these results in line with prior bloodwork?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I freaked out after Henry's last round of bloodwork because, like Doolin, there was a lot of red. The vet reassured me that's fine. Unless the value is really out of the normal range, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. :)

What is the low 5.2 value for though? That's the only one I'm not sure what it is supposed to be lined up with?

I'm thinking the 5.2 goes with WBC, since it continues on the next page? Slightly low, but still normal.

I'd see if I could find out what the 5.2 was. Other than that, I would (personally) recheck the blood tests at the next annual and see if there are any changes. These are so close to the edges of the ranges that it could be normal for him. Retesting in the future will either tell you that (good to know for the future) or tell you that there was some change, in which case I would probably retest at the next annual after that just to see if you can get some sort of baseline established. But that's just me.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest budsmom

Most of the time those tests are calibrated for "normal" dogs, not greyhounds. Mine have often had a lot of red, too, but that's because they are greyhounds.