E Collar

Guest poofmagk

Guest poofmagk

So Oliver has stitches in his leg, and he loves licking, so the vet recommended an e collar. I have put it on him twice now and he stands still and pants until you take it off (at which point he is back to normal). I left it on for 30 minutes but it didn't seem like he was calming down or adjusting to it. Is this normal?

Guest Jchallis87

we used a muzzle when blitz ripped open her leg because we had the exact same problem with the collars she just didnt handle them well but we have also used pants and shifts with great success

I just went through this issue with Atticus. He doesn't have a problem wearing one but neither of the collars we bought fit properly and didn't keep him from the wound (it was pretty low on his leg). What ended up working best was covering the lower half of his muzzle with duck tape. Another poster suggested it and I initially dismissed the idea because I couldn't figure out how he could drink with it on and because the wound was fragile enough that a rough muzzle would break it open again.

We had some adhesive foam strip (about 1/4" thick x 1" wide) lying around, so I put that on first, then covered it with duck tape. You just put it on the bottom half of the muzzle below the nose. That way if he drinks water it can still go in through the top of the muzzle. I cut some vents in the bottom for drainage.

Other posters can probably suggest products that already exist that might do the same job (like a poop guard on the muzzle), but I needed something with padding and was in a pinch. This took me about 20 minutes to do and worked like a charm.

We did try having him wear a long-sleeved tshirt. It helped a bit but he still soaked the shirt licking it once or twice. Also the sleeves were too long, so he would trip over them constantly. We rolled them up but they would fall down when he was standing up and ride up when he was lying down, exposing the wound. The shirt got really disgusting too so once we taped up the muzzle we gave it up.

NGAP has directions to make a towel collar

That is SUCH a cool idea! It's a homemade bitenot.

I went with the T-shirt option (suggested by GTers ) for a grey with stitches in her shoulder. It worked great. I don't know that I would ever use an e-collar. That injured dog had one, and she either going to have a panic attack or start a massive dogfight. She was crazy with that thing on.