What The Heck?! Accident Prone Pooch?

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

We were having SUCH a fun night.... nice walk in our neighborhood followed by a trip to Petsmart to pick up toothpaste and a toy for Brady. Even though Brady was very tired from the walk and all the excitement, he ended up doing zoomies in the backyard with his new toy monkey--SO funny and cute! Until he slipped. I thought he must have broke something in his back leg the way he was carrying on screaming and holding his leg up. Scared the kajeebas out of us!!! He layed down for a few minutes and then got up and walked very slowly and carefully... Then he seemed fine. Once he was inside and calmer, I checked his back leg and noticed that there was a little blood near one of the nails on that paw. Cleaned it up and checked to be sure the nail was attached and it seemed fine. I'm so relieved, but WHAT THE HECK?! It seems as though every other day he's yelping about something... stubbed his toe on the deck steps, yelped, limped, and cried... walked into the back of my daughter's foot, yelped, limped, and cried...

I'm not usually a nervous person, but this dog is making me a WRECK! Is it me, or are Greyhounds much more accident prone than other breeds?!

And I have a dog, that hurts himself and never makes a sound. Then I find blood and have to go searching where it came from. Both sides of the story. Glad your boy is ok.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PiagetsMom

My Maya is what they call in the kennels a "screamer", and here is more affectionately referred to as a "drama queen".....you touch her ears, she yelps.....you bump her, she yelps....... etc., etc., etc. She can really scare someone who doesn't know that. It's not that she's ever actually hurt - she just seems to be more sensitive, emotionally and physically.

Mirage, on the other hand, is much like Houndtime's pup. I'm not sure which is worse :dunno

But, to answer your question, I don't think greyhounds in general are more accident prone.

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest Scouts_mom

With my hounds I have learned that the louder the scream, the less likelihood that serious damage has occurred. I remember taking my first grey to the e-vet because she screamed that she was crippled for life. The vet found a very, very small cut on one of her pads.

Now my guidelines for screaming hounds is:

1. Is the dog bleeding badly, is he having trouble breathing, does anything look out of place? If so, get to the vet.

2. If you don't see obvious damage, comfort your dog. Tell him he is the most wonderful dog ever and you are a horrible owner for letting anything hurt him. You will do your best to see it never happens again.

3. Apply cookies.

4. Let dog take a nap to recover from the trauma.

5. If the dog is still remembers the pain/trauma several hours later, then you can start to be concerned.

Greys do run very fast and have thin skin so there is more likelihood of injuries than with a fat Lab. However, they are actually fairly tough dogs.

Edited by Scouts_mom

Yep - thin skin = often bleeding.

Frequently, a loud scream (known affectionately as GSOD, or Greyhound Scream of Death) means something inconsequential. Not always, but often.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Sometimes, the scream is outrage rather than pain: How dare you bump into me?

And maybe there's something else going on with greyhounds that have been raised with lots of other greyhounds--something you don't get with dogs that go into a home as puppies. I call it Crying "Uncle!" Crying "Uncle!" is the willingness to give up or surrender. I think greyhounds that have been raised with their mother and their squabbling littermates learn to surrender the minute it looks as if they're in trouble they can't handle. My exasperated Oreo once grabbed Sam by the ear and just held it; Sam screamed and she let him go--didn't even leave a mark. In her early days here, Jacey (Oreo's successor) was submissive to Sam until he pestered her to the point that she snapped at him; Sam yelped and ducked. Silver (Jacey's successor) doesn't tolerate Sam coming close to her when she's lying down; once he stumbled and fell into her and she came up snarling; Sam screamed and tried to run in three directions at once. Silver never touched him. (You'll have noticed a theme in Sam's relationships with the female dogs in this house. Sam is a pest.) Sam doesn't scream to get out of trouble when I'm angry with him; he knows he's not in any danger. But he's never been absolutely certain about his sisters.

Meanwhile, Silver--who's afraid of absolutely nothing and no one--cries like a baby when I Dremel her toenails, when the vet draws blood, when she gets a shot of Cerenia. (According to experts, screaming from a shot of Cerenia is entirely justified.) I think Silver--like Sam--is Crying "Uncle!" in hopes that the big bad human will stop torturing her.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

My accident prone hound, Venus, is the quiet type. When it's a serious injury the worst you get from her is a quick yelp but usually there's no noise at all. Like Houndtime we see blood & have to search or she comes up limping & we have to do an exam to determine the source. She's so stoic multiple vets have been frustrated by her as they try to determine the source of the problem.

Contrast that with sissy-boy, Soleil, who screams for the tiniest little thing. The one time he was truly injured is the one time we heard nothing.

Guest psdirector

Hutch is a screamer AND a whiner. He's more highly strung than his litter mate, Tibbs. We've only heard Tibbs scream once and it was last week - he was running in the yard and misjudged running under something - he bumped/ scraped his back and scared the heck out of himself. He had a small cut on his back and a small one on his thigh. It's so out of character for him to scream, Hutch ran into the house and layed down, looking up at us as if to say, "I swear that I didn't do it!"

Guest AngelPup

LOL! Well, it looks like I'm in good company! Brady does seem like a BIG BABY over little things, so I'm relieved to hear that most of the time they SCREAM bloody murder over minor bumps and bruises. But it's still so NERVE-WRACKING!

My previous dogs could have open wounds and dislocated knees and not utter a sound.

Love this:

"Now my guidelines for screaming hounds is:
1. Is the dog bleeding badly, is he having trouble breathing, does anything look out of place? If so, get to the vet.
2. If you don't see obvious damage, comfort your dog. Tell him he is the most wonderful dog ever and you are a horrible owner for letting anything hurt him. You will do your best to see it never happens again.
3. Apply cookies.
4. Let dog take a nap to recover from the trauma.
5. If the dog is still remembers the pain/trauma several hours later, then you can start to be concerned"

Thanks everyone. I definitely feel better....until the next time I hear that GSOD ! ~ ; )

Guest lucylei

My girl doesn't scream (or notice, for that matter) when she cuts herself. However, she loves "reporting" injuries and making me worry. When we go to the beach she will go nuts and zoom all around, often cutting her legs in a few places on the rocks or branches. But often out of nowhere, she'll just stop, raise her paw that hurts, and wait for me to walk over and make sure there's nothing wrong. I figure it must be remnants from her racing days - she ran over 150 times and now runs "funny" - kind of like kermit the frog with legs going in all directions. She always seems to walk it off and keep going though.

I guess my point is every dog is different - and I assume (though I have no proof) that their level of "reporting" depends on how they were trained.

Someone on here had a hound that would do the GSOD when he stepped in poo!!! :hehe

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Yep - thin skin = often bleeding.

Frequently, a loud scream (known affectionately as GSOD, or Greyhound Scream of Death) means something inconsequential. Not always, but often.

Usually this is the case :nod. However, my accident-prone hound, Jeffie, is the other way round. He is always turning up with injuries and I've heard not a squeak. He has a huge scab on his shoulder at the moment and I have no clue how he did it. Best guess is that he squeezed himself under a wooden rail somehow and scraped himself. When he first did it, it was just a graze, but the top layer of skin sloughed off.

However, when he broke his toe, he yelped (just once, but he yelped), and when he ran into a brick wall, gashing himself in three separate places, he screamed the place down.

she ran over 150 times and now runs "funny" - kind of like kermit the frog with legs going in all directions. She always seems to walk it off and keep going though.

That's exactly how Jeffie runs - and when he shakes himself, everyone laughs. Legs everywhere!! Sometimes he nearly falls over! :lol

Someone on here had a hound that would do the GSOD when he stepped in poo!!! :hehe

Yep, that would be me - Jim, our first greyhound did this! Actually, he was quite stoical usually, but apparently poop was concentrated evil! :rofl

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Perhaps my Atticus is just... special but I have never seen a dog so clumsy! He just doesn't seem to be aware of his surroundings or how large he is. He also will walk in one direction while looking in another, banging his face on door frames, furniture, once a huge iron gate. He's been wearing an e-collar for the last couple of weeks and it's been kind of a hoot. Poor little pea brain!

He's very stoic about pain. Everybody at our vet always raves about how good he is. But it is tough to diagnose limps (which I am still learning to do anyway).