Sudden Death

Guest nellins

I'm very sorry for your loss.

2 years ago my boy did the same thing only I was able to revive him with CPR. now after 2 years of so much money I haven't even kept track of any more- mri, s, ultrasounds, medications, and supplements--- and tons of prayer... he is a living miracle and is a thriving happy boy again.

this happened to him when he was 5.

for him it was a clot that broke off in his heart but the reason he was creating clots was do too kidney filtration issues that had been going on for a year called PLN protein losing nephropathy.

the only way we would have known about this issue was with a full blood workup and urinalysis which I didn't think he was old enough to need..

not that any of this helps you now but know that you're not alone ... that sometimes these things do happen and we all suffer a broken heart when it does.

wishing peace to you and your family during this difficult time.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry, I can't imagine experiencing that.

I just wanted to say that I doubt this is a greyhound thing in any way; I'm sure it could happen to any dog. For that matter, a friend's young, seemingly healthy cat basically suddenly dropped dead while playing. I just don't want you to think that this is something you would be at risk of happening again with another greyhounds -- you're hearing about greyhounds because you're on a greyhound forum.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greybookends

First I am so sorry you are going through this. second I know exactly how you feel. I lost a 14 yo. the same way. She was a very healthy and active 14yo. and nothing could have prepared me for what happened. One minute she was playing with the rest. i heard a yelp and thought someone and stepped on something and then she started to walk towards me and then literally dropped in her tracks and was gone in a matter of seconds. I do not remember a lot of details as I was very hysterical. The vet said it was most likely either a heart attack or stroke.

I have a friend who also lost a hound this way.

I do not think this is limited to just GHs. It happens to people to and nothing can ever prepare you for it.

:grouphug

As others have said, greyhounds can have strokes and heart attacks, but it's not common. In any case, it's nothing you did or did not do.

I lost Honey very suddenly at 12.5 to a suspected hemangiosarcoma. She was fine in the morning and gone by that afternoon. Hemangiosarcoma is especially insidious since there are no signs until it ruptures, leading to massive internal bleeding.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

I'm so very sorry for your loss, nellins. I know how much it hurts to lose one without warning. :grouphug

I lost my first greyhound, Frostman, this way. He was 10 and very vital and active. He had a fairly long racing career and retired at 4 1/2. He'd just had an annual physical and everything looked great. He had been running and playing earlier in the evening and seemed just fine. I was awakened from a deep sleep at 2:00 AM by that loud whining sound Charlies_Dad described and rushed to him in the dark. When I reached him he was gone. When I recovered sufficiently to turn on the lights, his mouth was open and his tongue was dark blue. I was in such shock at the time it never occurred to me have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. A vet friend of mine later told me he probably had a weak spot in his aorta (likely from birth) and it had ruptured while he slept.

Our first dog, not a grey, died of a ruptured aorta. She was absolutely fine when we went to bed, and when I awoke at 5AM she was lying on the floor in the livingroom, unable to rise and with blue lips and gums. She survived to the emergency vet, they rushed her back, and the ultrasound showed the problem. They gave us very low odds of success with anything anyone could possibly do, so my husband elected to have her euthanized.

I'm so sorry for your loss. The speed of our Marlie's death was a shock, but I am glad that she didn't suffer (the vet said that she probably wasn't in pain, just weak). Hopefully your heart will soon heal and this painful memory will soon be faded by all of the good, happy memories that you have of your lost friend.

:grouphug:grouphug

I am very sorry for your loss. I lost my boy on Tuesday as well, but it wasn't the completely unexpected shock that you have suffered. As others have said, it was probably a heart attack or stroke, possibly an undetected congenital defect. There is no way you could have known or prevented it. And no, it isn't just greyhounds, I lost my Boston Terrier the same way. A healthy (apparently) playing 6 yr old who just dropped dead. Turned out he had an enlarged heart, we never knew.

:bighug

This reminds me of WhiteWave's Riddick. I believe she said he died suddenly of a heart defect. The vet said dogs with that condition can be fine, happy, playing one minute, then drop dead the next. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :(

So sorry for your loss :grouphug This has not happened to me personally but I have known people that this has happened to.

My Carrie had a mild stroke in her previous home and lived. Her coordination is a little off, but, at age 14 she still manages to sort of run and gets around just fine. However, I have no background information on what exactly happened and I worry that she may have another one someday.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Your description sounds very similar to my dobe girl Chrissy's sudden death -- it was a heart attack. Like many have said, it's not common but it happens.

I can't remember who, but someone on this board was just taking their normal walk and the same thing happened.

It's hard to lose them under any circumstances and especially when they are so young, and it's so sudden. At least you were with him and he died happy -- something many greys don't get.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I'm so sorry for your loss. Loss is tough in any case, but a sudden death seems even harder to me. I lost my 7 year old to a stroke, in my arms shortly after she had a meal and was relaxing outside. She had experienced un-diagnosed focal seizures most of her short life.

My heart aches for your loss and your sorrow. I hope you find some answers that will make it easier for you.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I'm so sorry. I very suddenly lost my heartdog to what we believe was a blood clot in the brain, I know how horrible it is.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I am so very sorry to read about your loss. Try to remember that your boy left you while you were there, and he was happy. That is a true gift. No pain, no illness.

I promise I am not saying that out of the blue. I lost my girl Morgaine suddenly, 3 weeks after her sixth birthday and 5 days before Christmas of 2006. I left home that morning with a silly, happy girl who got off the elevator on the wrong floor and made me chase her to get her back and to my own apartment. No clue at all that anything might be wrong with her. By 3 pm my unflappable friend and dog walker called in a panic that she was in massive seizures in the apartment. I rushed home and spoke with my own vet on the way and he told me that is sounded like she was in status epilepticus, and that it was highly unlikely that we would have a good outcome but that he knew I would take her to the evet near me. Nothing could be done. We have no way of knowing when she started seizing. We only know what time Kelly got there.

I am still not completely over beating myself up over it. I know that she always had the best medical care. She had a "mom" who adored her. She had a vet who loved her. She had a walker who loved her and worked so very hard with her to alleviate her SA. She had patients at the nursing home who loved her visits. There was something inside of her that I had no control over. My vet likened it to people who collapse while crossing the street, or athletes who die without warning.

I want to say don't beat yourself up over this, you couldn't have changed it. I know that is true. I know that no one else is thinking anything close to that about you. Clearly, you loved and cared for your pup and are heartbroken.

If it helps at all, I did a lot of searches and put together a whole Excel spreadsheet modeling the possibility of ever going through that experience again (I adopted within 10 days) and found that the results of such a sudden death were ridiculously low. Less than 2%. It is rare.

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. It's hard to make sense out of senseless acts. He was with you and running...I'm sure he left you happy and loved.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest GreyDogsRule

Not much to add from me other than I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like your boy dog had four wonderful years with a family that loved him. That makes him and you and your family very special. It might be hard to even think about this now, but consider providing the same loving home for another deserving racer. Of course you can never replace your lost boy, but think of it as his legacy.

I just wanted to say that I doubt this is a greyhound thing in any way; I'm sure it could happen to any dog. For that matter, a friend's young, seemingly healthy cat basically suddenly dropped dead while playing. I just don't want you to think that this is something you would be at risk of happening again with another greyhounds -- you're hearing about greyhounds because you're on a greyhound forum.

True. :nod A friend's young doberman went the same way. They were out for a walk in the fields, and Sam just ... dropped dead. Vet said it was his heart, but until that moment, nobody suspected he had a heart problem. He was apparently sound and healthy. So very sad.

Very, very sorry for your loss. :grouphug

It is so hard to lose our beloved dogs suddenly, and yes, we always look for a reason, but we often can't be given one. It does sound like a heart attack or ruptured aneurism, maybe a catastrophic stroke, but who knows? You have all my sympathy.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest nellins

Thank you both. That description sounds so much like what happened with Henry, including the loud whine.

I was talking to a co-worker today about how neither of us remember dogs dying of illness before their time when we were kids. I don't remember knowing of any dogs who died before a ripe old age - although in the days before leash laws, accidents were not uncommon.

I'm so sorry your the loss. I lost my heartdog Maggie April 3 2012 very suddenly and it was a horrible shock. She was fine that morning and had her breakfast, went out and less than 2 hours later was gone. It was so unexpected~~she was a healthy, extremely active 10 who I thought I would have for a few more years easily. Never health problems. It was truly one of the worst things I have ever experienced and at 70 years of age that is saying something. I miss her terribly and always will. Hold on to your good memories, and look for that sign that I know you will get.

This definitely is not a problem exclusive to greyhounds. A friend lost an 8-year-old Dalmatian mix suddenly. He yelped as he started back to the house from playing in the back yard, then collapsed. The friend screamed for her husband, who's an M.D. He did CPR on the dog, crying as he worked, but they couldn't get him back.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

:bighug

So very sorry for your sudden loss.

We had an 8 year old Dobie pass suddenly, too.

She just jumped down off the couch, and dropped dead.

It's truly heartbreaking.... Wondering what you could have done differently.

But... there is usually nothing that could have been done.

:(

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I am so sorry, I can't imagine experiencing that.

:nod Very true. Definitely not just a greyhound thing.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My heart goes out to you and like others have said you just never know. In the late 90's I had Hobbi an 8.y.o. who had a slight cough and then some blood came up. Rushed her to the ER vet on a weekend and the vet said probably some fluid in her lungs and I could probably pick her up the next day which was Monday. Got the call from the ER vet Monday a.m. - she had died sometime during the night. Like you I was devastated. I did not want to do an autopsy because it would not change anything but the vet wanted to do it at his expense - she had an a heart defect that went unnoticed for years.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest nellins

Thanks everyone for your sympathy and for sharing your stories. Even though they are very sad, it helps to know that we were not alone. Over the last 40 years or so, I have lost dogs who died of cancer, including a ruptured tumor of the spleen, kidney failure, and other illnesses, but never one who died so suddenly. I am grateful that Henry did not suffer, and was happy and playful to the end. The house is so empty, and even the cats seem to miss him.

Guest OPointyDog

I'm so sorry you lost your beautiful boy - it is so heartbreaking.

My parents lost their golden retriever, Shane, this way. A healthy, active 8-year-old. My father opened the door to his crate one morning, and Shane got up and started to walk out, and just collapsed. He rushed him to the vet, but he was already gone. In his case they thought a stroke or an aneurysm. That was 14 years ago, and I still cry when I think of my father sitting at the picnic table in the backyard crying with a tennis ball in his hand. Shane was being used as a sire in a puppy mill when he was rescued and hadn't really been socialized, and was obsessed with fetching like no other dog I've ever met; he bonded with my dad initially through playing ball. My heart broke for both of them when Shane died the way he did.

He could have thrown a clot. Cancer could have been in him, even at that young age. Or he could have had a bruise, a simple bump, nothing serious. (both samples of having clots) But a thrown clot to the brain could have been the cause. Especially when you said he rolled his eyes back and had a 30 second seizure.

You have my utmost sympathy. While I have lost 6 to date, none have happened that suddenly with what seemed to be a healthy young dog.