Spine Bone Spur

Guest Addie

Guest Addie

So I took London in today because he was limping last night and this morning. I was thinking his foot hurt but it turns out he has a bone spur on (L5 or L6) the vet thinks its from aging (hes 11). I have been giving him missing link plus and I was sent home with Rimadyl and rest. Anyone know anything else I can do for him, my vet has laser therapy (but I was a little skeptical about that) There is also a woman who does k9 massage in town.

Laser didn't do much for my girl's hip probs. (Arthritis related to an injury.) However a friend's Great Dane had fabulous response to laser treatments so I'd say it's worth a couple of sessions. A very good massage therapist may help as well. My sister's Corgi has benefited greatly from it. In my experience accupuncture can be of great benefit. Actually aquapuncture seemed to be just as good. Regular, gentle exercise is still important but overdoing it or doing the wrong thing may cause a flair up of acute pain that only drugs can get under control.

If the pain becomes chronic I would suggest inquiring about gabapentin in addition to the Rimadyl. Gabapentin can be extremely helpful in combating nerve pain & used in conjunction with NSAIDs it can bring blessed relief from chronic arthritis pain.

Hope your boy is feeling well very soon.

And a third on the gabapentin. Easier on the stomach than NSAIDS. And if you get 100mg capsules (rather than 300mg tablets that are awkward to split), you can easily adjust doses when needed.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Jeffie has a bone spur round the same location but it doesn't seem to cause him any problems. He does drag a hind toe at times, but massaging his long back muscles and thigh muscles seems to fix that, so I don't think it's the bone spur.

My vets mentioned Gabapentin for Sid but said since they don't use it, they don't have the experience to feel confident to prescribe it. They said if we go ahead with the referral we're thinking of, we'll probably get offered it though.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop