Spider Bite On Paw?

Guest greytkidsmom

I'm pretty certain my boy Henry is dealing with a spider bite. We're about $1400 deep in vet bills, and it got much worse before it started improving. The e-vet did a joint tap and the entire joint became septic. Spider bites are really nasty.

Guest greytkidsmom

I'm pretty certain my boy Henry is dealing with a spider bite. We're about $1400 deep in vet bills, and it got much worse before it started improving. The e-vet did a joint tap and the entire joint became septic. Spider bites are really nasty.

I saw your thread and feel your pain. It got way worse before it got better but it is getting better. We did antibiotics, pain meds, soaks, laser treatments for swelling/tissue healing, and frequent dressing changes. Hoping all goes well with Henry.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greytkidsmom

Well, dressing has been off, the weather has been somewhat dry, and Lucas isn't licking the paw.

He was off of pain meds but now is limping again.

I was concerned that he may have some hind end muscle imbalance from being in a dressing/splint for 3 weeks so the acupuncture vet who treats Kebo came over and gave him some needles for pain and for lymphatic drainage as well as a laser treatment.

Tonight the top of his paw has opened and started draining again. The wound on the plantar surface (don't know the proper anatomic term for dogs) has been stable in appearance - red and healthy, some serous drainage but not any purulence. The paw is swollen in comparison to how it looked when the dressing came off Friday. Glad the house is well stocked with tramadol, NSAIDS, and gapapentin(if needed).

I am bummed. We see the vet tomorrow at 10:30. Good thoughts are appreciated.

We are to go out of town for the weekend to celebrate my grandmother's 99th birthday. Not an occasion I can really miss. Lucas can't go with us because of my aunt's dogs. Our dog sitter is an angel but I just hate to leave him and I hate to give her extra work and worry.

Sigh.

Edited by greytkidsmom

Ugh. :( so sorry he and you are going through this. I hope this is just a minor setback :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

:( So hoping it clears up for good, soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You might've already mentioned this, but is he on antibiotics? After our ordeal with Henry, they put him on heavy, heavy duty ABX. Clavamox and Baytril twice a day, for at least 4-6 weeks. The infection was unlike anything the e-vet ever saw.

Edited by a_daerr

Guest greytkidsmom

You might've already mentioned this, but is he on antibiotics? After our ordeal with Henry, they put him on heavy, heavy duty ABX. Clavamox and Baytril twice a day, for at least 4-6 weeks. The infection was unlike anything the e-vet ever saw.

He got a dose of IV antibiotics followed by a 2-week course of clavamox. He didn't have a temperature or elevated white count and the fluid cultured from the wound didn't have any bacteria.

The vet's plan today is to ultrasound the area to look for any pockets of fluid that could be pus. I think I'll ask her to check another CBC as well.

Yeah, Henry's culture was negative too. But the e-vet explained that that doesn't mean there's no infection present. "Negative" just meant that he was responding to the antibiotics. We're three weeks in, and he still has some residual fluid in the joint pocket. The vet said at least another 3 weeks of Baytril and Clavamox until everything looks 100% normal again. For something like a spider bite, I'd think that two weeks isn't long enough for the ABX, but I'm interested to see what your vet says. Update us when you can!

Guest BlueCrab

A human friend of mine is going thru treatment for a spider bite on his arm right now. Nasty stuff indeed. Hope your boy is on the mend!

WRT Lucas and your trip away and the dog sitter, would you be able to board him at your vet? I was just thinking that, were I to go away in this situation, I would rather have my girls at my vet who is excellent and who I trust, rather than with my dog boarder (who is completely brilliant but who I wouldn't want to give the extra hassle to). Just because things haven't completely cleared up.

WRT Lucas and your trip away and the dog sitter, would you be able to board him at your vet? I was just thinking that, were I to go away in this situation, I would rather have my girls at my vet who is excellent and who I trust, rather than with my dog boarder (who is completely brilliant but who I wouldn't want to give the extra hassle to). Just because things haven't completely cleared up.

But the vet's office only if there's someone there round the clock. I wouldn't want him left there overnight or over the weekend with nothing more than someone checking in periodically.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest greytkidsmom

The vet took a good look at him on Thursday. She used ultrasound to look for any undrained fluid pockets that could be abscesses and there were none. He didn't have any fever. He had gotten a dose of deramax the night before and it actually looked a bit better for her. We both felt that this was residual inflammation from whatever creature bit him. We decided against antibiotics because it was looking better with the anti-inflammatory. My pet sitter is a client at the same vet and they know her well and if she feels that his foot looks in any way worse, she will call and get him some antibiotics. They are open on Saturdays.

The vet doesn't have anyone on site overnight or that would be a good idea. I can't usually board all three anyway because Tiel is a breed snob and I try to keep Kebo's car rides to a minimum. They will have less stress staying in our home with visits from our sitter. I spoke to her yesterday and she said the foot looked better than it did the night before when she turned them out. She said that he was on his back on the couch when she walked in yesterday morning :). She comes 4 times a day and lives just a block away. It isn't ideal to leave an injured dog but sometimes you have to do the best you can. Marcia has been watching them all for almost 6 years now and knows them well. I know she will find me if there is a problem.

(As an aside - my sitter was out seeing a client and found a greyhound wandering loose. She stopped and put it in her car and called me. She said that she knew that a greyhound shouldn't be loose so she grabbed it but she didn't know what to do next. How awesome is that? I got in touch with our greyhound kennel who took the dog until her owner could come get her.)

The vet doesn't have anyone on site overnight or that would be a good idea. ...

They will have less stress staying in our home with visits from our sitter. ...

It isn't ideal to leave an injured dog but sometimes you have to do the best you can. ...

I agree on all accounts. Sounds like your pet sitter would get your pup to the vet promptly if needed. We all do the best we can under the circumstances. Some things we can't really control as well as we would hope.

(As an aside - my sitter was out seeing a client and found a greyhound wandering loose. She stopped and put it in her car and called me. She said that she knew that a greyhound shouldn't be loose so she grabbed it but she didn't know what to do next. How awesome is that? I got in touch with our greyhound kennel who took the dog until her owner could come get her.)

That IS awesome. You've trained her well! :lol

Guest greytkidsmom

We made it home to find that our sweet boy's foot looks a little better than it was when we left it. The drainage seems to have stopped and the redness/swelling is stable. Vet called to check on him Monday. For now we will just keep with the anti-inflammatories and watchful waiting. It should be time for the Orkin Man to come and check for spiders again soon...