Spider Bite On Paw?

Guest greytkidsmom

Guest greytkidsmom

DH woke me up Tuesday morning because Lucas wouldn't get up to go outside. Initial inspection didn't reveal anything. We got him to stand up and he wouldn't put any weight on his back right leg. The paw looked a bit swollen. We got him outside to do his business and then to the vet. I took the first appointment since this seemed like an urgent matter and we saw the new vet at the practice. She took x-rays which just showed a lot of soft tissue swelling and started him on metacam, tramadol, and benadryl. He continues to refuse to put weight on it and the swelling has spread significantly up his leg. He basically hasn't moved from that spot since then. We have gotten him to eat and drink some and we have gotten him out into the yard to poop and to pee but that is about it.

I remember seeing a fat bodied spider with spindly legs in my composter. It is the kind that sits off the ground and rotates (we had rats with the other kind). I haven't seen Lucas do zoomies or anything that would cause a sprain to the foot so maybe he got bitten by a spider. There was a small red mark in between his outside 2 toes. This morning it was very defined and this afternoon it has started to turn dark in color.

I have tried cool compresses but Lucas turns into Cujo whenever you touch his feet. We have been working on this since we got him and he has gotten better but lets just say my options are limited when it comes to ointment and compress application.

I made an appointment with the vet who is our regular vet for tomorrow (I did it Wednesday "just in case") but wonder if there is anything else we can do for him beforehand. I'm getting a sense that this is the beginning of a long haul the way the foot looks tonight.

Ugh. One more reason to hate spiders. By the way, who thinks it is a good idea to post so many spider photos in articles about spider bite treatment? I can't even look at a spider for a second - how the heck do I read an article? If anyone is brave enough to cut and paste spider-free articles about treatment I'd appreciate it. Based on the quick encounter we had in the compost bin and how the spot is reacting I'm guessing brown recluse :(

No pictures here.

If it's a brown recluse, he needs the vet...

Note that that page is treatment for people. Don't give your boy acetominophen or the other recommended drugs on that page. Use the info there to assess the bite, not to treat it.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If it's an infection, starting antibiotics sooner is a lot better than starting them later. Any way you can speak with your vet in that regard tonight?

Fingers crossed it's a simple thing and quickly healed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytkidsmom

I emailed her pictures tonight. It has since opened and is draining bloody material. We got an e collar on him and I muzzled him to try to get a dressing on but he got really aggressive. I suspect his dose of benadryl and tramadol should kick in soon and he will quiet back down. I think I will fast him in the morning and head to the vet as soon as I get home from work in the morning rather than wait until the afternoon.

Here is a picture of his foot tonight...

p1643553776-3.jpg

Have you taken his temperature yet? It might be a good idea. Also, may want to draw a circle around his leg at the top of the area where the swelling is. If it continues to swell or he is running a fever I'd get him to the vet soonest. It may well be a spider bite but I know several dogs who had a serious infection from something similar. Made for very sick dogs who took a quick turn towards scarey high fevers. So keep a close eye on it. That's not looking pretty at all.

Hope a round of anti-b's can fix him up & all is better qucikly.

Please read this thread from last year. See my post #7 with photos of Harold's leg. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/293032-spider-bite/?hl=harold&do=findComment&comment=5391023

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytkidsmom

He is at the vet now - DH dropped him off the minute they opened. They took samples of the fluid - lots of red cells and inflammatory cells, few bacteria. They soaked it, used the laser on it, are running bloodwork to check his kidneys, and are giving him more pain medicine. Vet plans to repeat the laser treatment this afternoon. It is a relief to have him there and to know he is in good hands.

Guest greytkidsmom

Lucas so pitiful.

He just lays there on his bed. He will turn every once in a while.

He will still eat plain chicken but not much else. He has stopped eating the pill pockets but we are able to hide pills in chicken cubes for the time being.

We got baby food for him because that is what he ate at the vet but he won't eat it for us.

Went and picked up a Natural Balance food roll - we give cubes of it sometimes as treats and all of the dogs love it. He ate some the other night but today, not so much.

The whole leg is swollen up past the knee and there is a tract that is draining from the top to the bottom of the paw. You can see where some of his skin is starting to slough off.

He had another laser treatment today and I'll drop him at the vets again Monday morning. She says she will likely sedate and debride the foot early in the week.

He is an angel for the staff at the vets but gnashes his teeth at us when we try to soak it as directed. Thank goodness for muzzles.

I get the feeling this is going to be a long haul...

On a happy note, we had an exterminator over this morning to start spider-proofing the yard :)

Please read this thread from last year. See my post #7 with photos of Harold's leg. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/293032-spider-bite/?hl=harold&do=findComment&comment=5391023

That seems about right. Will wait for the acute phase to run its course then think about the honey. There is no way I will be able to bandage that foot - on a good day he doesn't like to have his feet messed with. Dang I hate spiders.

Guest greytkidsmom

The last picture is how the foot looks today...you can see how quickly it got bad. Don't look at the last pictures if you get grossed out. I couldn't NOT post gross pictures - this is H&M after all :o

Tuesday

p1737530872-3.jpg

Thursday

p1822093194-3.jpg

Friday

p1625909933-3.jpg

Saturday

p1704678350-3.jpg

That looks so sore... hope your vets can get on top of things really soon for poor Lucas.

I dislike spiders intensely too and fortunately don't have any seriously venomous wild ones here.. they most they give is a nip and redness for a few hours.

Guest greytkidsmom

Lucas seems to be better this morning. He got up and ate with the other dogs per our usual morning routine and hopped outside to do his business. This afternoon he hopped into the backyard and laid in the sun for a while - on of his favorite pastimes. I didn't let him stay too long since he is all white and I know some meds don't mix well with sun exposure. He just seems a little brighter overall. The last two days had us so worried. I'm sure there will be more ups and downs but I'll take today. Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts.

Harold's spider bite cleared up rather quickly once he started the antibiotics. Hopefully Lucas will too.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That looks awful and very painful! Sorry your poor boy is going through this. I hope he is on the mend and quickly recovers.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hope he continues to improve.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greytkidsmom

Had to work overnight but no texts or calls from DH about Lucas. He headed right out of the house and hopped in the car when I got home. He will spend the day with the vet again today getting some TLC. Hope to get a little sleep before she calls me.

Guest johnmclaren

It’s the matter of the fact that all pet owners get shocked when an apparently healthy animal suddenly turns up ill for no particular reason. Visiting an experienced vet would be real solution for the dog treatment.

It’s the matter of the fact that all pet owners get shocked when an apparently healthy animal suddenly turns up ill for no particular reason. Visiting an experienced vet would be real solution for the dog treatment.

Did you not read any of the owner's posts? The dog is being treated by an experienced vet.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest BlueCrab

Wowie - that looks terrible. But the progression is also classic for spider bites, unfortunately. Poor baby. Glad you all caught it when you did.

Guest greytkidsmom

Lucas seems to be slowly on the mend. His appetite is improved and he will put some weight on the foot on occasion. He has been to the vet every day this week for laser treatments and bandage changes. She put some granulex ointment on it and yesterday most of the necrotic tissue came off. Will wait to hear from her this afternoon about what she wants to do next.

Wowie - that looks terrible. But the progression is also classic for spider bites, unfortunately. Poor baby. Glad you all caught it when you did.

No kidding - I work in the medical field and have seen a lot of gross stuff but this is one of the worst wounds I've seen.

Lucas seems to be slowly on the mend. His appetite is improved and he will put some weight on the foot on occasion. He has been to the vet every day this week for laser treatments and bandage changes. She put some granulex ointment on it and yesterday most of the necrotic tissue came off. Will wait to hear from her this afternoon about what she wants to do next.

No kidding - I work in the medical field and have seen a lot of gross stuff but this is one of the worst wounds I've seen.

You are so right. Harold's spider bite wound burst before my eyes and oozed the nastiest stuff. :sick

tiny hada siggy.png

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greytkidsmom

It has been an exhausting few weeks but I am happy to say that Lucas is very much on the mend. Dressing changes have been extended to every third day instead of every day and this morning the vet said that the area had contracted from 3x3cm to 1x2 cm. Hopefully all of this will be behind us soon :)