Scrotal Abiliton ?

The dog in this case was not a greyhound but a boxer. I'm posting here because the situation could be a greyhound.

I have been a big advocate for the Big Fix For The Big D which provides free spay/neuter in selected zip codes. My neighbors had a boxer follow them home and we put it on Craigslist as found (not for adoption), posted fliers and signs on bulletin boards. After 3 weeks they decided to keep him and use the Big Fix.

They were called at 1 p.m. saying that their dog had had complications and they had to do a second surgery as his scrotum was pus filled and inflamed. They charged them $100 for the second surgery. My neighbors asked to speak to a vet and were told there was no vet around.

The clinic made them buy a new 30" e-collar identical to the one I gave them and made them buy pain pills even though we have lots of tramadol. I also wonder why they insist the dog be returned for a bordatella booster in 30 days.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Would your local news agencies be interested in looking into this? Maybe there's a local reporter who's an animal lover who could check out the group. This sounds wrong in so many ways...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Adult dogs, and I'm sure most of us know this as experienced adult dog adoptors, can frequently have the scrotal sac fill with blood after the surgery. sometimes to the extent it needs to be drained or even have the sac removed. but it's rare for infection to move that fast. And I do think the forced meds and e-collar does kind of sound like, "we'll make up the cost of the free surgery with mandatory upcharges,"

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

The Great Dane I baby sat last year had this. They sent him home and the next morning when the owner brought him to me his s rotund was the size of a large grapefruit and bleeding. I called the vet who said "it can wait". Finally talked the owner into taking him in and just waitin in the lobby until someone saw him. They took him back to surgery and charged her again.

She was also using the Snyp coupon for the neuter.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

They were called at 1 p.m. saying that their dog had had complications and they had to do a second surgery as his scrotum was pus filled and inflamed. They charged them $100 for the second surgery. My neighbors asked to speak to a vet and were told there was no vet around.

I know the medical situation can occur, but how is this group charging $100 for a second surgery when there's no vet around?

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

"Free/low" cost clinics seldom are.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

This sounds wrong. Owners have every right to 1) a second opinion providing a vet does not determine that it would be dangerous to move the animal or delay veterinary care, and 2) to refuse non-essential stuff like e-collars and pain meds, providing a vet does not determine that the animal would be in unnecessary suffering without them.

At least, that's the situation here, and I can't imagine it would be too much different in the US.

I would have said 'get a VET to ring me back to discuss this before anything else is done. If they cannot ring me back today, I will fetch the dog and take him elsewhere for a second opinion'.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

There's really not enough information to say anything for sure, but just some comments...

The scrotum wouldn't have gotten "pus filled and inflamed" just a few hours after surgery. Are you sure they said pus and not blood? If there was pus, it would have been there for the first surgery.

Bleeding and hematoma formation are potential complications after any surgery, even if everything is done correctly. It is standard, and IMO reasonable, to charge for additional care required to deal with such complications. Even in a low-cost facility, though, I would expect the vet to speak with the owner when there's a complication. Did your neighbors ask to speak with a vet when they were called about the complication, or later in the day when they went to pick up?

I disagree with forcing a client to buy something they already have (the e-collar, and maybe the pain pills), but why couldn't they decline it? Couldn't they have just refused to pay for it and not take it? What pain pills did they dispense? Maybe the vet felt that he needed more than just tramadol? I find that tramadol by itself is not a very strong or effective pain medication for most dogs. It is best used in conjunction with a medication with anti-inflammatory properties, such as an NSAID, for post-op pain.

I consider Bordetella to be an optional vaccine, but for dogs that need it, you get the best protection if the first vaccine is boostered in 3-4 weeks.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg