Hester Walking With Deer - Video

He is absolutely limping. I have never seen a dog walk that slowly either. What's going on? I've had George for six years, and to this day he always trots. He never, ever, ever just walks like that.

I love how concerned everyone is about the "limp", you are all very sweet, thank you.

In the deer video I think Hester is walking slowly because I am walking slowly. As mentioned we are on an extremely steep hill, and fifteen minutes earlier he had a bit of a run. Hester does move differently than any other Grey I have seen. While we are very slow in the deer video, I have walked other Greys with Hester and they have to trot to keep up with his walk. He has a very slinky action that looks more like a Panther that a typical Greyhound. I have to really walk fast to get him into a trot. Remember he is tall and crazy long and covers ground effortlessly in an easy walk. All that said, he has definately been trying to protect his front left over the last couple of weeks.

I would be concerned except that he can still run a bit. If there is anything I should do for Hester, I am happy to hear any advice.

This video was shot 15 minutes before the deer encounter. It is the second of three small runs. Should I be concerned or is he OK? (sorry for the shaky camera but I was on the move to draw Hester away from a hazard in the grass)

and this video again (from a week ago) shows him walking on level ground. I am walking fast here and he does break into a little trot when he lags behind. Seems healthy enough.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Get Hester a vet visit and have his shoulders x-rayd. He is young, but osteo strikes at any time. He can be in severe pain and still run, they love to run no matter what.

Guest chickenpotpie

Awww, go Hester! Even with no limp, James is a slow poke. Put him on a 20 degree incline...he'd probably go backwards. :lol

:hehe Mine will also do this. Slow as molasses going up an incline. You'd think I was putting her on a 5 mile walk through 30 inches of snow.

OMG, I am in love w/Hester!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

He is absolutely limping. I have never seen a dog walk that slowly either. What's going on? I've had George for six years, and to this day he always trots. He never, ever, ever just walks like that.

Limping aside, Bella will meander at a pace that almost seems as though she is going backward.

Sure, I would suggest that you have your vet check Hester, then maybe try a glucosamine supplement to help smooth things but he does look great :D Fabulous video!!! Love how amazing Hester is. Thank you for sharing.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest Krizzy

That is awesome. Your dog is beautiful :-)

I love how concerned everyone is about the "limp", you are all very sweet, thank you.

In the deer video I think Hester is walking slowly because I am walking slowly. As mentioned we are on an extremely steep hill, and fifteen minutes earlier he had a bit of a run. Hester does move differently than any other Grey I have seen. While we are very slow in the deer video, I have walked other Greys with Hester and they have to trot to keep up with his walk. He has a very slinky action that looks more like a Panther that a typical Greyhound. I have to really walk fast to get him into a trot. Remember he is tall and crazy long and covers ground effortlessly in an easy walk. All that said, he has definately been trying to protect his front left over the last couple of weeks.

I would be concerned except that he can still run a bit. If there is anything I should do for Hester, I am happy to hear any advice.

This video was shot 15 minutes before the deer encounter. It is the second of three small runs. Should I be concerned or is he OK? (sorry for the shaky camera but I was on the move to draw Hester away from a hazard in the grass)

and this video again (from a week ago) shows him walking on level ground. I am walking fast here and he does break into a little trot when he lags behind. Seems healthy enough.

Our Hammer walks the same way. He is a broken leg, but after a little bit of running, he tends to walk like that too. Doc said he was fine.

Last couple of days no limping. Lots of scampering around on this mornings big walk. He definitely has some issues but nothing serious enough to demand intervention at this point. No corns either. He does have a torn gracillis but I don't think that causes him any discomfort. He just has to slow down when he turns to the right while running.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and admiration of the big fella'. Today he gave a wild bunny the same half circle of respect. The rabbit just stood and watched us pass. When he first came to me about 18 months ago he used to hunt the rabbits. I corrected him once and that was that. He is very special. For my part, while I would like to claim that I am a gifted trainer, the reallity is that I am just the custodian of a most unusual Greyhound.

I noticed Hester's limp in the original video too. One of your previous posts about Hester's preference for soft ground/lawn vs. sidewalk vs. road made me wonder if he's feeling some pain during his walks. Dogs are so stoic and Hester will do whatever it takes to go on walks (including running, even if painful). Glad you're keeping a watchful eye on him to ensure he's not overdoing it.

I agree about asking the vet to do a physical, including full range of motion if he continues to struggle, even if he's only sore after much exercise. Good to continue checking his pads periodically too. Corns can run deeply and take a while to surface on the pad. Pad toughness can wear down too.

Any previous racing injury to your knowledge that might affect him more after exercise?

Any previous racing injury to your knowledge that might affect him more after exercise?

His race history shows no comments about him "pulling up" and finishing last. There are no gaps in his record and he only had one NR. The last few races of his career were safe mid pack finishes. When he has "felt" like running hard (not that often) he has been impressive - even among younger Greys he seems effortlessly faster in a straight line. I have given him a range of motion exam when he has been limping and I do get a slight pain response. When he appears fine I get no pain response. There will be a trip to the vet soon.

Edited by KickReturn

Just want to add to the chorus that Hester is a beauty, the deer was cute and your neighborhood is LOVELY!

Thank you, that's nice to say. I feel very blessed. I still pinch myself every morning when I wake up and look out the window.

For all the concerned, I had Hester at the vet this afternoon as a very short, light gallop had him limping badly this morning and he was not good on the beach yesterday. We decided on a dental and x-rays all at once in a couple of weeks. This was his first vet visit. He was a champ. The vet wanted to see him walk so out to the parking lot we went. He was hilarious, demonstrating his walk, his trot, and a bit of canter all sans leash of course. I just waved my hand and he did his thing. The big guy is a freak. Vet thinks arthritis is the most likely culprit. Not limping tonight so all is not lost.

Guest 18tjettagrl

My husband and I just watched this video and not only were amazed but laughing. Hester seemed to not care but the deer to us we kept saying out loud "hey, hey...what's going in here? You comin back to play?" Simply amazing and cute!