Hester Walking With Deer - Video

As promised in the off-leash thread here is some video of Hester walking past a deer. This is a common occurrence where I live; there is no way to avoid these encounters.

In response to outrage over my post about Hester running with deer, I have altered his view of deer. Instead of regarding them as playmates, he now simply passes and gives them a little “nod” of greeting. I have also succeeded in getting him to respond to requests to swing a bit wide in his path to show that he means no harm. He demonstrates this technique well in the video.

All of his respectful behaviour has elevated him to an associate member of the herd. The deer now follow him more than ever. The shyer ones even come out of their cover to investigate him as he passes. On a few occasions deer have followed us down the driveway and watched us enter the house from the threshold of the garage.

The video below consist of two clips joined. After the initial encounter ended I thought we were done, but then as we rounded a corner I heard the hoofs behind so I started up the camera again – hence the rough splice.

Guest RMarie

I :heart Hester!

I'm no animal expert, but the deer initially looked like it wasn't too happy. But then, it seems like curiosity overcame it.

Also...watch out for deer ticks!

Guest Waterdog66

Now that is funny.

The deer seems to have a short circuit in its behavior mechanism, (Actually following a predator animal)

I was in Hope Idaho a few years ago and deer were like pests with whole herds sitting on someone's front lawn. I had to honk to get the dopey things to move out of the road so I could drive by :riphair

Guest grey_dreams

I love Hester :heart The deer are really curious about us too, and come fairly close to say hi. Maybe they think greyhounds look like strange deer :)

Is Hester ok? He appears to be limping somewhat.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I saw the same thing as Jan--he's a bit off in front.

His response to name is excellent. Nice work.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Hester is amazing...he didn't even perk up his ears. I love this guy :wub: You have an awesome greyhound.

I thought he was limping too, however, it could be the surface.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yes there is a slight limp, the problem is front left. I suspect it is his shoulder. But his front left toe has recently become more splayed and flattened so it could be that. He limps sometimes after a run and we were on our way back from a morning gallop. I was initially quite concerned when it first appeared but I have seen him run quite nicely since (although he rarely ever puts it in top gear) so I assume it is just the aches and pains of 3 hard years at the track. We are also climbing a 20% hill which is hard to tell in the video.

Edited by KickReturn

Very interesting video. I didn't see your other thread, but I think you're very lucky that the deer don't try to charge you and your dog.

tivvy-gigi-heaven-gabby-2.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Blaze, Rodney, Lady, Spice, Sarahlee, Callie and Baby

Very interesting video. I didn't see your other thread, but I think you're very lucky that the deer don't try to charge you and your dog.

There is very little we could do if they did become agressive. There have been a number of attacks on dogs, but it seems to be the little yappers that get stomped. I believe that if we show the deer proper respect they will get the message and will not risk a confrontation. The big bucks that appear in the fall require a great deal of respect.

Just trotting along......very cool.

How much does Hester weigh?

90 lbs. Why do you ask?

Edited by KickReturn

There is very little we could do if they did become agressive. There have been a number of attacks on dogs, but it seems to be the little yappers that get stomped. I believe that if we show the deer proper respect they will get the message and will not risk a confrontation. The big bucks that appear in the fall require a great deal of respect.

90 lbs. Why do you ask?

Taylor's a big 90 pound boy, too. I like the "big ones". :beatheart

Guest iconsmum

that calming curve was lovely to watch - you did good!! it's also why the deer follows - it's like taking the back pressure off a loose horse in a training ring - they follow automatically. thanks!

Your video was very interesting to me.....not only because of the deer, but that my Desi has nearly exactly the same gait.

Slow, deliberate, slightly "off" in the front. I can walk Des off-leash, as well, and he will never leave my side, unless he

saunters over to schmooze someone who's looked at him "with interest." He's a big boy, too, 83 lb, raced 3 years.

Very handsome man, your Hester.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Good boy Hester! Odd that the deer seems almost obsessed with Hester. If he were a fawn, maybe I could understand, but a cow dog deer? :rofl

An nearby owner of a fawn Grey reported that shortly after he got him he saw a deer enter his yard and go nose-to-nose with his dog. The deer must be confused by the shape and size of some Greyhounds. It really doesn't make much sense. Obsessed is the best way to describe it. We have been followed for blocks. I have opened my front door because I heard footsteps in the entry way only to be eye-to-eye with with a 10 point buck! This is no place for a high prey dog of any sort. 50 yards prior to today's encounter, a rabbit was flushed from undergrowth immediately beside Hester's front feet (fortunately he understands that chasing bunnies is something we no longer do, he was a bit keen of them when he first arrived I must admit). I am still bracing for my first Cougar encounter.

Believe me, this video is the least of if. Yesterday we literally passed through a "herd". Four females and two yearlings on our left even closer than today's encounter, and two huge bucks on the lawn across the street.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Jchallis87

thats very cool. i even called my husband in from the kitchen to watch :) the deer is adorable and your hound is beautiful! :) this made my night! :)

He is absolutely limping. I have never seen a dog walk that slowly either. What's going on? I've had George for six years, and to this day he always trots. He never, ever, ever just walks like that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck