Any Hounds On Keppra?

Do they have any idea what's causing the seizures for the doggie you mentioned? MRI?

The diagnosis is idiopathic epilepsy, most likely genetic. He's an Italian greyhound rescued from a shelter, estimated age of around 2-3 years old when adopted, and he started having seizures shortly after. Based on his breed, age, and presentation, the neurologist does not feel that an MRI is necessary, although the owners would have been willing to do one. We've been dealing with this for about 5 years now, and if it as anything more serious, I imagine it would have progressed by now. Other than being very slightly sedated and occasionally clumsy from all the meds, he's completely normal between seizures.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest patgam

Doubles has had 2 seizures, 1st one in April, then 6 weeks later...our vet has him on 500mg of Levetiracetam. I also will be checking w/Costco. Unfortunately (for me!), I am unemployed at the moment, so I can give him the meds 3x/day. No problem for me to get the pill down his throat, however, I have used gooseliver on occasion. A member of our adoption group suggested gettiing a Gel Mat, called Nice-N-Cool and use it. Our local Drug Mart had it for about $19.00. So far, I've not had to use it. Ready to use, no refrigeration required.& provides cooling relief up to 1 hour. The only problem I've encountered with the medication is that it makes Doubles sleepy right after giving it to him. I make sure that he gets his pill right after a walk in the morning, afternoon and before bed. Learned the hard way...don't do before a walk...almost ended up carrying him... LOL!

So far, he has not acted any differently on keppra. I start giving the costco pills tomorrow so will see if there is a change at all.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Can't the pill be mashed up and mixed into kibble?

Nope, as someone mentioned, it has to be given whole (not cut in half either) otherwise it will no longer be extended release. You might also check the poop for a few days to make sure it is not being excreted whole - as I mentioned earlier, some dogs cannot metabolize the shell and as a result, the whole pill gets excreted.

On another note, I tried giving Lucy the Costco version of the regular Keppra and 1 day later, she had a seizure. So she is one of the few that cannot metabolize that particular manufacturer whether it be the ER form of the pill or the regular.

To someone else's question about how many pills can be involved in treatment of seizures -- many.

There is some consensus among neurologists that if your dog has been having seizures for more than 18 months, then it probably is not a tumor. Lucy's neurologist was very frank about that. He noted, by that time most brain tumors would have caused other symptoms. Not to say that it doesn't ever happen but, usually with seizures time does tell.

I'm about 2 weeks shy of him being with me for a year. I got him the first week of July last year. He was having seizures in the racing kennel, I'm sure.

I started the Costco Keppra yesterday. I will be sure to check his poop tonight. I forgot this morning.

Thanks everyone!!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari - Steak was with me a full year before he ever had a seizure. It was out of the blue. He was thunderphobic but otherwise very healthy and very stable dog.

Steak's seizures got worse with time and began to run together as well. They started out about two weeks apart and then got to be about a week apart. There was never anything that we could relate to him having a seizure except weather and even that was inconsistent.

Costco is the cheapest by far for Keppra and Zoni. I'm keeping Thunder in my thoughts. I hope that he is doing well :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I'm trying to find a large ice pack. The problem is, he has the seizures in my room which is in the attic. There's no way I can leave him to run to the kitchen to get the ice pack.

could you keep one in small cooler with other ice packs for overnighting?

There is some consensus among neurologists that if your dog has been having seizures for more than 18 months, then it probably is not a tumor. Lucy's neurologist was very frank about that. He noted, by that time most brain tumors would have caused other symptoms. Not to say that it doesn't ever happen but, usually with seizures time does tell.

That's why we're sure Rainey had some kind of tumor going on. She became aggressive, very OCD and just big personality changes in general.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We went the entire weekend without power which meant no A/C. I put him in the car a lot to cool down. He thought that was awesome!!

1040380_10151420731772583_1399434973_o.j

He seems more tired but it could be the heat.

Power came back on Sunday but now my A/C doesn't work. I have A/C in the attic (small unit) so dragged his crate up there and all the pups will stay up there during the day.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17