Is This A Corn?

Guest Beernardo

Guest Beernardo

He started to Limp from this leg about two weeks ago. I checked his paw, noticed a very very tiny black dot on the surface on the pad, removed it thinking that was it but it didn't make things better. Took him to the Vet, he pressed his paw firmly and he didn't pulled the leg, so the Vet discarded anything wrong with the pad, he injected a muscle relaxant and prohibited him any kind of exercise, so I haven't walked him ever since (sucks).

He has some x-rays scheduled this week to see if there's something wrong in the shoulders area but today I noticed this on his pad. I press the pad from the sides instead from the bottom and he pulls the leg slightly, I press exactly the same way on the left paw and he doesn't pulls.

I'm still following my Vets advice but I'm just curious about if somebody else have seen these symptoms before and what did you do to fix this.

If it is a corn indeed, how many of you have had success with the duct tape method? http://aragongreyhounds.blogspot.mx/2013/01/greyhound-pad-corns.html?m=1

Thanks!

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3122b.jpg

Forgot to mention that the light stuff you see inside is soft, like wet dust gathered in there, and the area around it is harder than a normal pad consistency.

Guest Melissa516

I don't have any experience with corns, but is it possible that some foreign body got lodged in the pad (like a splinter, etc.)? Is the white stuff like puss or a cyst? Maybe try soaking with epsom salts? I'm really just guessing though.

Edited by Melissa516

Guest Beernardo

I've removed foreign objects before and this doesn't seems like one, there's just nothing inside besides they gray/light colored thing inside, which is more like a cyst but a little more dry.

Guest mischaluvsgreys

I have had plantar warts before and this might be a dog type of wart. They are VERY painful. I'd take him to the vet. The Dr. removed mine on my left foot recently with a freezing process.

This article is helpful and the picture on the website looks like the thing on your grey baby's paw. I hope he feels better!

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/14_8/features/Canine-Corns-and-Warts_20321-1.html

However, I'm not an MD so my advice is to go see a vet.

Edited by mischaluvsgreys

IMO looks like a plantar as well. I've had them twice in my life, and depending on where they are located can be really difficult to remove. There are meds out there to buy that basically kills the root, and then you shave off the dead skin with a razor until it's all gone, but I'm not sure how to take this approach with a dog paw.

If I understand correctly, your vet is just treating the pain problem associated with the limping and not this issue on the pad, since it's been recently discovered. I'd take him back to the vet to show him this.....corns are different looking, but I'm sure more people would pipe up. Also you wouldn't want this getting infected, as it looks rather open. In the meantime keep it clean. I'd recommend soaking it in epsom salts twice a day, keeps chance of infection down and makes it more comfortable if it is painful.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I just hulled two corns Sunday and posted yesterday about it. http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/299015-freekin-corns/

This doesn't look like a corn to me. They are usually hard and very painful to the pups. I don't know what that is since you say it's soft in the center.... corns grow outward, and based on the pics, this looks to be growing inward to me....

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.