Frozen Beef Bones!

Guest Zizi

Has anyone given these to there hounds? I noticed them in our grocery store today and wanted to check here to see if these are ok to give.

I know I have seen a lot on here about giving turkey necks, I did not see them today. I will have to check our other stores for those.

We get some every year when we bring our locker beef home and the first year I gave one to Ruby and she had diarrhea for 2 days. Not sure if it was the fact that they were beef or the marrow inside. I threw them out after that, but she sure did enjoy it while it lasted.

Karen

Guest Scarter55

We give these to Lady quite often, she loves them. They make a great "dog sitter"; she'll happily play/chew with one for a good 1-2 hours on the lawn. Marrow can be a little rich, so be careful giving it to a dog on an empty stomach if that dog hasn't had it before. I don't know if this matters or not, but we always defrost them first. Lady doesn't seem to like things that are too cold, other than ice cubes.

We give these to Lady quite often, she loves them. They make a great "dog sitter"; she'll happily play/chew with one for a good 1-2 hours on the lawn. Marrow can be a little rich, so be careful giving it to a dog on an empty stomach if that dog hasn't had it before. I don't know if this matters or not, but we always defrost them first. Lady doesn't seem to like things that are too cold, other than ice cubes.

Good to know, maybe after defrost I can take some off the marrow out. I did not purchase them but maybe we will try in the future. Not something I want to give right away. Want her to adjust a little and keep eyes on the poop situation

Guest Scarter55

Good to know, maybe after defrost I can take some off the marrow out. I did not purchase them but maybe we will try in the future. Not something I want to give right away. Want her to adjust a little and keep eyes on the poop situation

Taking some marrow out at first is probably a good idea (just don't waste it!). The bone itself is good for them. Our breeder, who has had multiple award winning AKC dogs, claims that she has never had any dental cleaning work done for her dogs, she just gives them bones. And it definitely tires them out!

Just be aware if you have an aggressive chewer, or a dog with damaged teeth, as heavy weight bearing bones *can* cause slab fractures to teeth (and if they are frozen the dog's mouth is numbed so they may chew harder than usual). The marrow is very rich, most digestive issues are from the marrow not the little bit of meat on the bone. I have fed them to all of my pups with no problems over the years, but my pups aren't overly aggressive chewers.

i generally remove some of the marrow before i freeze beef bones. make sure they are at least 4" long, many supermarkets are selling 1" slices of bones, not safe, they can get stuck on your dog's long snout. once they are clean as a whistle you can refreeze them w/ a schmear of peanut butter inside.

Just be aware if you have an aggressive chewer, or a dog with damaged teeth, as heavy weight bearing bones *can* cause slab fractures to teeth (and if they are frozen the dog's mouth is numbed so they may chew harder than usual). The marrow is very rich, most digestive issues are from the marrow not the little bit of meat on the bone. I have fed them to all of my pups with no problems over the years, but my pups aren't overly aggressive chewers.

Thanks for the heads up on an aggressive chewer or damaged teeth. This is why I love this forum I have learned so much!

I like my dogs to eat the bones, not just chew them, so I stick with pork, turkey, and chicken necks... but I have given them beef marrow bones in the past... I found that they didn't really get much out of them... besides the marrow.... they chew and chew but can't break them... so they give up...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest Jchallis87

my husband works in the meat industry and he brings them home all the time. they probably get them once a month our 3 LOVE them! and theres usually nice big chunks of meat on them. my 3 can chew forever! and they knew exactly when they get them too haha they follow me to the deep freezer. I usually leave them in the fridge to dethaw them. we have had one broken tooth but we arent sure if it was broke from the bones or if it was broken front something else. one of her little small funny teeth in the front and we had to have it removed. we cant be sure how it was broken but broken teeth is always a risk with bones i think and we make sure when we give them the bones that we watch them (mostly because they all try to steal each others bone haha)

Guest FordRacingRon

I did not read the replies,,but the short answer is yes.

The longer answer. PETCO sells these frozen beef bones that have all the marrow in them. We defrost it and give it to Leia,,lasts two times as we take it away when half the marrow is gone. Great babysitter. At 10 years old , this was to the best of my knowledge Leia's first time with a bone (we started giving them to her about 3 months ago). You would think we had discovered the Holy Grail when she first got her mouth around one for the firs time. Her new favorite treat.

Guest Eyeblaura

I buy marrow bones from the butcher and have them slice them in half the long way, so the marrow is exposed. He only gets half the bone at a time and chews on the edges to get the marrow out. Loves them. We do turkey necks and rawhide too. I brush only once a week and his teeth look really good. The only tartar he has is on the tips of the canines where they are more exposed to air I would guess and not getting the enzymatic help from the saliva. But even those aren't bad.

Edited by Eyeblaura

Ask for "knuckle bones" - I think they are the hip or knee bones in the leg. They seem to be a bit softer than the standard marrow bones, but dogs have to be watched with them, as there seems to be small pieces that come off. The job they do on their teeth is unbelievable!

If you're talking about marrow bones, which are chucks of leg bone with the marrow still inside - it depends on the dog.

I've given them for years to my dogs - but some dogs will get obsessive about them - and want to lick out every bit of marrow at one sitting - and get tummy troubles - so I have to give them, then take them away after a while. Other dogs will lick marrow for a while, chew the bone for a while, and be fine.

Like everything else - know your dog - use moderation.

And - some dogs are such aggressive chewers that they should never be allowed to have such a heavy bone because the dummy will graw off and swallow chunks.

Try it. Watch - and learn. Then - do what works for your dog.

My boys get upset stomachs from raw bones. Too much marrow. We much prefer the smoked/dehydrated knee bones that you get in the pet store. I've recently been ordering Merrick brand bones in bulk through Amazon. I'm really happy with them.

Our hounds are on a raw diet, and we feed raw frozen beef bones to our guys at least once a week.

I get them from the local butcher...sometimes it's knuckle bones, sometimes other,long bones.

They love them...and it keeps them happily occupied for quite a while!

We've been doing this for all the dogs we've ever owned for the past 30 years and have never had any digestive issues.

Plus...their teeth are in wonderful shape.

And ... YES ... We are aware that they 'could' damage their teeth.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I used to give frozen marrow bones regularly, they were a great treat on the hot nights we have here (Southern FL) and kept him occupied for a while. I heard they were good for keeping the teeth clean, that's always a plus. Then I noticed Ali had broken off a canine tooth chewing the bone. No more bones for my dogs.