Freekin Corns!

I hulled two horns from Remy's front paws.... As if he doesn't have enough going on with OS..... poor baby was limping and stopped our walk halfway into it cause he was hurting so much....

any idea why one has a red spot underneath the [removed ]corn

bloodcorn_zps32cd54f9.jpg

and the other doesn't?

cleancorn_zpsdc69c702.jpg

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

that's why the blood underneath? damn!!! It didn't seem much deeper than the other one, but that one has always been red underneath the skin/corn... my poor poor pup... he's such a happy boy and to see him refuse to walk breaks my heart, and it continues to baffle me that these small things can cause them such pain... and cause them to stop walking.... UNBELIEVABLE

Do you have a pic of the red one before removal? Sure there isn't a foreign body in there?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

no pic of the corn before.... it's a regular corn... hard and painful... but the one with the red underneath seems to bother him less than the other one... when he limps, he limps much harder from the right paw, and the bloody one is on the left paw...

the clean coen is on the right paw... but his osteo is also in his right shoulder, so maybe he limps hard on the right leg due to combo of corn and OS.... :dunno

it's difficult to explain (especially since English is my second language and my BF constantly badgers me about my accent) but so easy to do.... Two wonderful ladies from G.E.M. showed me last year @ Dewey... and I've been doing it ever since... my vet charges $75/corn and she used to take him in the back where I couldn't see what they were doing...

there is a page that shows it with pics... http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm but I use a toe nail nipper and dig it out... my boy fights me every step of the way cause it's super painful, but I have to do it for his good, so I just keep cutting around it slowly, and eventually get it all out... I use this since I don't have the tool in the above attachment and I find it works better can I can actually cut it out and the skin around it...

DSC00134_large.jpg

Edited by claudiav

Yowch! That looks super painful to use. I had always heard that the hulling was painless?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Yikes! that does look like a painful thing. I know the hulling technique uses a dental tool... I think a root extractor?

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

It's painful to touch/squeeze, and pick/dig at it, but it's not painful, in the sense that it's not major surgery, and they don't need to be put under for it... I don't have that tool, but like I said, I like the nail nipper cause it's more precise and I can also cut the dead skin around the corn and clean it up nicely... when I cut around there, he doesn't even notice (he's asleep and snoring)... but when you're working on the corn itself, it's painful or maybe uncomfortable... the pulling reflex kicks in.... some dogs don't like anyone touching their feet, and those need a muzzle while doing this.... but in general, it's lots of pulling that I have to deal with, no GSOD or even whining...

Guest BuckeyeAmy

Thanks for the information! I've never had to deal with corns and hopefully never will. But I have a better idea of what is involved now.