Large Snack Ideas...?

Sunshine has been having some acid reflux issues lately. I started giving her the generic zantac three times a day along with teeny tiny small meals. As long as I could keep her eating (if her belly feels icky she tends to want to skip meals) she is doing great! I'm now only giving her zantac twice a day and still three meals. I would love to replace the lunchtime meal with a snack instead.

They are raw fed and I'm trying to avoid grains. Today each pup got 4 beef jerky strips from Costco. They would probably love a giant milkbone each day, but the crumbs in my bed from that tend to be stabby while we sleep. :tomato Also trying to steer away from grains since they create the gunk on their teeth.

Rainy can't have any cooked chicken or kibble since she will have an allergic reaction that is not pretty, so I can;t give out any of those items. They are totally not enthralled with any sort of veggies, even sweet potatoes.

Any other ideas on quick cheap easy things to feed them? Maybe I should try to find those kong things and find things to stuff in there? They usually give up on those though since it's too much work! :hehe

We've been through the trachea, bully sticks, pressed raw hides, pig ears, cow hooves, etc... Those are all boring to them at this point. We need to find more magic puppy crack chewies!

------

Jessica

how do you know she's having acid reflux? .... even I had a hard time understanding what was coming up my throat, and experienced doc to tell me it's acid reflux.... never heard of it in a dog....

give milkbones someplace outside the bedroom if you don't want crumbs in bed...

these amazing treats that I learned of right here (on GT) .... Remy will eat anything but if my Picky Picky Princess gives it the thumbs up, that's a BIG thing.... tripe sticks http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/14638/Bingo-Buffalo-Green-Tripe-Stick-Dog-Chew-Treat and tripe pressed bone http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/14642/Bingo-Buffalo-Tripe-Pressed-Bone-Dog-Chew-Treat

last, but not least..... what is known as doggie crack in our house: DENTASTIX... http://www.amazon.com/Pedigree-Dentastix-Daily-Treats-Count/dp/B005M5Q9O4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371500478&sr=8-2&keywords=dog+dentastix .... I only buy them from BJ's cause I get a bag of 40 dentastix for $13.50.... you CANNOT find this price anywhere else.... and I've done LOTS of research....

they go absolutely NUTS for dentastix and tripe sticks/pressed bones!!

Edited by claudiav

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

Guest OPointyDog

Cottage cheese? Do they tolerate dairy?

I guess rice is out if you're avoiding grains, but it sure is cheap and seems to fill them up.

Stuffed kongs are very popular here. I take the smashed up dog cookie pieces from the bottom of the bag and mix the crumbs with pumpkin or sweet potato, then seal the hole with peanut butter. Then freeze it. We have 8 kongs in rotation, and you can put them in the dishwasher - it's not that bad in terms of upkeep. Seems to settle their tummies and keeps them busy while we eat dinner, which is a plus.

Hard boiled egg.

Hamburger patty.

If you want something neater than the above, there are some freeze-dried beef patties that aren't too costly. I forget the brand name -- come in a red and white bag :lol . 1/3 to 1/2 of one would make a great snack.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm guessing it's acid reflux. She burps little throw up amounts and acts like she's nauseated. Pepcid did not help but the zantac seems to be doing wonders along with the small meals. Just trying to keep something in her belly all the time.

We've done green tripe sticks... I usually give those right before we leave the house for the entire day! Oh they are horrible! LOL

I didn't even think of checking out BJs. Time to see if the BF is having a gummy bear craving (the only reason he keeps that membership)

They won't eat eggs unless they are slathered in cheese and other good stuff. Picky brats.

They seem to be on with dairy and have tried cottage cheese. I bet I could even bulk buy little yogurts!

I actually used rice to help fill in the gaps for the past couple months with these three meals a day silliness. Their breath and teeth are starting to show the grains in their diet. Makes me crazy. We need fresh baby breath and pearly whites.

I'll dig out the kongs this week and start with peanut butter. :-)

Are the freeze did beef patties at a pet store? I could do an online search. Hardly ever at any pet stores these days.

Great ideas! Thanks everyone. I knew GT would help my uncreative brain fart!

------

Jessica

Freeze-dried beef patties -- yes, pet food store, real or online. I scored a wad of them once on sale but even at regular price they weren't too bad for something to use as snacks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know you said they are fed raw, but what about a good quality grain free dry kibble as a snack between meals? My girls get their meals twice a day, and then a handfull of Core Grain Free as a bedtime snack. It keeps just enough on their bellies until breakfast, and because it's not the same as their dinner kibbles, they see the Core as treats.

This routine began when my second grey developed seizures out of the blue. Feeding a handful of kibble before bedtime was a way to help her from having a carb crash between dinner the night before, and breakfast.

Kibble would be such an easy thing but Rainy gets D and breaks out in hives no matter what Kibble we try. It's got to be a reaction to a preservative or something... I can't risk Sunshine not finishing it and Rainy having issues :-(

------

Jessica

Here's what I used to get: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/index.php?product=66&code=3080 . As you can see, not cheap, but each patty is the equivalent of a cup or more of dry food so you likely would give only 1/3 to 1/2 of a patty for a snack. And if you can find them on sale .... :)

Stella and Chewy's brand and I think Nature's Variety also have some freeze-dried all-meat products.