Xylitol - Let This Be A Warning To Others!

Our Bootsy had a big scare this past weekend, and I want to share it on GT to make more of you aware. As many of you know, he is a serious food hound and counter surfer. We are pretty good about keeping stuff out of his reach, but we're far from perfect, and it's usually amusing rather than dangerous. Anyway, we were getting ready to travel on Sunday, so Saturday, I had started putting things out to pack. I put two baggies of my son's vitamins & fiber supplements in a bag in a suitcase and within about an hour, I noticed the baggies on the floor by Bootsy's bed and realized what had happened. Thanks to GT, I knew to read the ingredients. Sure enough - xylitol in the fiber gummies. We tried to make him vomit, but it didn't really work, so my husband rushed him to the e-vet. They got him to vomit, counted the vitamins and fibers that came out, and took a blood test. His blood sugars were on the low end of normal - about 70, so the vet wanted to keep him and check again. Two hours later, his sugars were 23! They administered IV dextrose and admitted him for overnight. His levels dipped precariously low again through the night and he had another round of dextrose. The next morning, he was still shaky, so they wanted to keep him through the day, and he ended up staying for a second night. He was discharged this morning and is at my parents' house, where they have instructions to feed him ever couple of hours. So in the end, Bootsy wins. :lol

Please check all labels and keep anything with xylitol far away from your houndies!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

where they have instructions to feed him ever couple of hours. So in the end, Bootsy wins. :lol

:rofl

So glad Bootsy is finally "home" and doing okay.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Oh Bootsy!

Once at the e-vet I met a young chihuahua owner who thought it was funny that her dog had climbed into her purse and swallowed one small stick of gum. She didn't understand why it looked sick. It wasn't until after she called the e-vet that she learned how dangerous xylitol could be.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you for the re reminder. Glad you baby is o.k.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

Guest Waterdog66

Whew, glad to hear Bootsy is OK.

We have Epicac on hand in our first aid kit for just such an emergency. (When the Vet says " You must induce vomiting now")

Thanks for the PSA about Xylitol.

We have Epicac on hand in our first aid kit for just such an emergency. (When the Vet says " You must induce vomiting now")

Ipecac is rarely used in humans anymore. You'll have a hard time finding it in a pharmacy as well.

I personally would use peroxide. Actually I have used peroxide twice for my greyhounds (they ate

tylenol once and thyroid pills once) with good success.

Some info on Ipecac:

IPECAC

· Ipecac is derived from the roots of certain plants. It belongs to a class of drugs known as emetics. Similar drugs include apomorphine.

· Ipecac acts by irritating the stomach lining and stimulating the impulse to vomit. Vomiting will generally occur within 30 minutes of administration.

· Ipecac is available over the counter but should not be administered unless under the supervision and guidance of a veterinarian.

· This drug is not approved for use in animals by the Food and Drug Administration but it is prescribed legally by veterinarians as an extra-label drug.

Brand Names and Other Names

· This drug is registered for use in humans only.

· Human formulations: Ipecac is supplied by numerous drug companies with a variety of trade names and various generic preparations

· Veterinary formulations: None

Uses of Ipecac

· The sole purpose of ipecac is to induce vomiting.

· Ipecac is primarily used to induce vomiting after ingestion of a toxic substance or a foreign object.

Precautions and Side Effects

· While generally safe and effective when prescribed by a veterinarian, ipecac can cause side effects in some animals.

· Ipecac should not be used in animals with known hypersensitivity or allergy to the drug.

· Ipecac should be avoided in animals with heart disease or breathing difficulty. It should also be avoided in an animal that is minimally responsive, convulsing or comatose.

· If an animal has already been vomiting, ipecac should not be used.

· Do not use ipecac to evacuate corrosive ingestions or toxins that can lead to aspiration pneumonia.

· When used properly and vomiting occurs, there are little adverse effects associated with ipecac.

· If vomiting does not occur, there is a potential for serious heart toxicity. For this reason, other emetics may be recommended.

How Ipecac Is Supplied

· Ipecac is available in a 15 ml or 30 ml syrup.

Dosing Information

· Medication should never be administered without first consulting your veterinarian.

· To induce vomiting, 0.5 to 1 ml per pound (1 to 2 ml/kg) is recommended.

· If no vomiting occurs, a second dose can be administered.

· If there is still no vomiting, examination and treatment by your veterinarian is recommended.

First - glad to hear that everything is OK!

Second, thanks for posting this. It's hard to remember "everything" that we have to do to keep out hounds safe and sometimes, things are just going to happen. As in your case, quick actions can make a difference.

Holy moly. Glad you got him in and treated successfully.

I wish they wouldn't put xylitol etc. in stuff like that. I'm happy with plain old sugar (and lots of it, yum!).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so glad Bootsy is OK!!

So many people don't know about the dangers of Xylitol. I did, as it happens (and always make sure sugar-free gum is put away, even though my two are NOT counter-surfers), but I appreciate the reminder. I'm going to post about Bootsy on the Brambleberry Greyhounds Facebook page right now.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I'm glad he's ok.

I don't buy anything with fake sugar of any kind except for toothpaste and that's because there are no alternatives. Xylitol and other fake sugars make me so sick I've been stuck in the house all day from 1 piece of gum. The only good part of that is that the dogs don't have access either.

yikes, glad he's ok!!!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest melissa

I think it's strange my vet tried to sell me some solution to put in the water bowl to help my dogs teeth. Contained Xylitol!! My vet didn't understand why bi refused to use it.

Guest MnMDogs

Jeez Louise! I'm so glad it turned out well... And I think Mork and Bootsy would be quite the pair. I had to make Mork vomit - many times actually - but one time was after he ate a pack of sugar free gum. Bubble gum scented puke... Mmmm