Mosquitoes!

Guest grey_dreams

Guest grey_dreams

I've never lived through mosquitoes like we have here this year! When you go out, they descend in a thick cloud and cover you, the dogs too. They are getting through the fur, and especially on their bellies where the fur is very sparse. Zhivaya is a bleeder, and he has a couple of blood blisters from bites on his belly.

I'm looking for natural repellents. I found that lemon eucalyptus is supposed to work well. Until I can get something else, I also found this natural product at Petco that contains lemongrass, citronella, neem:

http://www.petco.com/product/111180/Only-Natural-Pet-Herbal-Defense-Insect-Repellent-Spray-for-Pets.aspx

Do you think those ingredients will be safe for greyhounds and cats? I have a cat too (indoor), so the product has to be safe for cats too. Or at least I can start with that immediately and then order something better. Do you know of better products that I can order?

Edited by grey_dreams

I would personally avoid essential oils around cats. Most are toxic to them and build up in their systems. But...if you are just putting them on the dogs outdoors I don't know how harmful it would be to kitty unless they share blankets, sleeping spots, etc. For the record, I have tried some of the repellent sprays and they don't do a lot of good for our crazy mosquitos and flies. :( I do feel your pain, the skitters are horrible here right now and they're particularly attracted to "easy to access" greyhound blood!

I know some grey people have used the Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard and have liked it. I am not sure what the ingredients are though.

I use Adams Flea and Tick Mist (Blue Bottle) Spray feet, legs and underbelly before walks. They are not fond of the treatment but we do create a smelly fog as a pack of 4 on walks in an overpopulated neighborhood of dogs, cats possums and coons. There are 17 dogs on my block alone!

yikes, i hope it's not as bad as the time i was camping and the only way we could stay was to bomb the area!also, there have been bad seasons where the town that dd was in music camp(vermont on a lake)the local towns sent out trucks to spray! all the musicians had to run from practice room to practice room. it was outrageous, and everyone looked awful- bitten from head to toe

how about an electric skeeter zapper for the yard? a good quality one?

If you get an electric zapper, don't get just a lighted bug zapper. This mainly just kills moths and other insects that are attracted to light. You need a "machine" that puts out carbon dioxide to attract the mosquito and then some system to kill/trap the mosquito. Some of these products also produce heat and moisture (other things that attract a mosquito. Essentially you need a trap that "pretends" it is a living being. You place the trap away from your outdoor recreation area (i.e. you don't want to attract mosquitoes to where you will be sitting but AWAY from where you will be).

My brother has a Flowtron similar to this:

http://www.flowtron.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=F&Product_Code=MT-275A&Category_Code=FTPR

He says it works very well but it is expensive. He got his a number of years ago so perhaps there are less expensive models on the market now.

We typically stay in my screened porch and my dogs don't go out that much in the summer. By the time the mosquitoes get thick it is too hot and humid for us. Yes, we are wimps when it comes to heat/humidity.

If I need to work outside when mosquitoes are out, I have found that the OFF personal repellant device works well -- as long as you aren't moving around quickly. It clips on your waist and the little fan disperses repellent around you. Much nicer than wearing the stinky slimy DEET stuff. Of course I have no idea what the health implications are of having a chemical repellent dispersed around you versus wearing DEET versus getting bit by mosquitoes. If you are walking around it doesn't work well because it can't build up a repellent "wall" around you. If the mosquitoes are really, really thick, I find I need to use both a rub/spray on repellent and the little fan thingy.

Of course, none of these (except for the big carbon dioxide machine) work for a dog. So this post probably isn't that useful to you.

Thus ends Jane's treatise on mosquitoes developed from years and years of despising the little buggers.

Edited by joejoesmom

Guest grey_dreams

This was a great product that I found last year. According to the website it is cat safe, as well. http://jadeandpearl.com/beat-it/

Thank you very much! I'm ordering this!

We have been using Burt's Bees Insect Repellent on the dogs and ourselves for several years. :)

Thank you! I never thought to look at the Burt's Bees products for insect repellent. I'm ordering this!

Guest grey_dreams

We walk or go to our new dogpark (10 acres fenced, members only, dogs have to be current on vaccinations and they have to pass the temperament testing). So a zapper wouldn't help us. But when we have our own place, I'll keep those zappers in mind! Thank you!

I changed my "bug magnet's" diet and incorporated a homemade spray (4 oz of distilled water and one drop of therapeutic grade essential oils - about 6 different oils) and she can walk outside without attracting a cloud of mosquitoes. As long as I spray top and bottom from the ears back just as we walk out the door, she is bug free for the 35 to 45 minutes we stroll the neighborhood. That's saying a lot here in Florida!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

This was a great product that I found last year. According to the website it is cat safe, as well. http://jadeandpearl.com/beat-it/

This looks like just what I need! Thanks for posting it.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I've never heard neem being used at a bug repellant but I know it works great as a itchy skin healer (from bites, cuts or other minor skin irritations). I found it when one of my guinea pigs was suffering from skin yuckies and then it migrated to me trying it for dog hot spots (yeah, it worked!) to me using it for razor burn (and I'm the one with really really sensitive skin!) Its just a bottle of "neem spray for cats and dogs" that I found in the organic pet store.

There is also bug repellant clothing/fabric that may help.... if you can find it in posh pooch ware :)

-PJ

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered Beat It after reading this thread. It works better than anything I've tried to date. And with no toxic chemicals! Love it!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown