Preventic With Frontline Plus

Guest mameyer

Guest mameyer

It's starting off to be a terrible tick season in FL. I've already applied Frontline Plus for the month, but I pulled 8 ticks off after our walk the other day. Can I use a Preventic collar and Frontline Plus concurrently? I understand that the frontline should be killing the ticks, but I imagine there is still some risk for disease transmission if they are able to bite? Or should I not worry and keep pulling them off?

Preventic and Frontline are safe to use together. You should still keep pulling off the ticks you find, though. Ticks need to be attached for 24-48 hours before they transmit disease. But if you spend time in tick-infested areas, I always recommend using tick products as it's very easy to miss the tiny seed ticks. Other options to consider are switching from Frontline Plus to one of the newer products, either Frontline Tritak or Certifect. Both kill ticks faster than Frontline Plus, but are pretty new, and haven't been out long enough to have the long safety history of Frontline Plus.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I always used Frontline and Preventic collar. Frontline for fleas, Preventic collar for ticks. Frontline isn't for ticks, last I checked.

Frontline Plus is fleas and ticks.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Both Frontline Topspot and Frontline Plus have been labeled for both fleas and ticks since they came out. But it takes fipronil (the main active ingredient) 24-48 hours to kill ticks, so you're not guaranteed to prevent disease transmission. The different between Frontline Topspot and Frontline Plus is that the Plus has s-methoprene, which is an insect growth regulator (kills flea eggs to break the life cycle).

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg