Near Obsessive Morning Grass-Eating / Vomiting

Honorary greyhound (whippet) Rickie, who will be 15 in less than 2 weeks, has, in the last couple of weeks, become obsessed with eating a lot of grass in the morning, following which he throws up bile and grass.

This has happened occasionally in the past, but never on a daily basis, so I am worried. For now instead of letting him roam the backyard I am walking him to control it. He doesn't do it at other times of the day when roaming the yard freely.

Nothing in our routine has changed - the dogs get dinner somewhere between 6 and 7PM, and nothing further until breakfast which is around 8 AM. Maybe I should give him a bedtime snack, but the thing I am stuck on is that *nothing has changed* in our routine, yet we have this new behaviour.

Anyone have any idea why?

He had a checkup recently and blood and urine are amazingly good for a dog his age - he is young inside.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!

13 hours without food is a long time. (I'm not surprised you're having issues now; I'm surprised you haven't had them before.)

As dogs age, they often don't process food as well, so that even though nothing may have changed at home, Rickie has changed. A snack at bedtime won't hurt anything, might very well help, and is an easy thing to try. If Rickie's weight is an issue at all, you can give a bit less food at dinner and just save something for bedtime.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Probably just changes with age. I'd try the bedtime snack or, if he isn't in a gigantic rush to get out in the morning, a decent-sized biscuit before he goes out.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

A big bedtime snack might be in order actually. I found that to stop Ryder from doing this regularly, I had to give him a whole piece of bread, and then wean him down from there to just a cookie or two before bed. You should start seeing results soon. Even a cookie the second you get up before breakfast in addition to the bedtime cookie, would be helpful I'm sure!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015