Full Freezer = Happy Hounds!

We're raw dabblers - I'm too lazy to compose the proper ratio of meat/bone/organ so I feed Kirkland kibble (or Iams Mini if unavailable), cooked veggies/meat & about every third day I replace a meal with frozen chicken or turkey neck aka meat-sicles :) This week our freezer is very happy and full as I found chicken thighs for 68 cents and turkey necks for 65 cents!!! SCOOOOORE!

The best news? When I took my 8 year old in for her annual visit and the vet said "her teeth look GREAT!" So I live in a gas free zone, poops are able to roll downhill, the hounds LOVE their food and I don't have to anesthetize my babies to get their teeth cleaned :) It may not be a suitable diet for everyone, but it works GREYT for us.

Why do I go through all of this??? Cause they're worth it :beatheart006.JPG

turkey+necks+002.JPG043.JPGsnoooooooooooore+004.JPG

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

happy days- great score

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Guest Scarter55

The cheapest I've found is $1.49 lbs for chicken necks! I've tried turkey necks, but Lady treats them more like chew toys rather than a meal.

Do you feed them whole, raw chicken thighs? I've never let Lady have the bone, just wondering how that would go over with her.

Also wanted to get your opinion on leaving the skin on. One place I get the necks from keeps the skin on. Lady likes them just as much, but it does take her a bit longer to eat them.

Edited by Scarter55

SCOOOORE! Wow - you must have a bigger freezer than I do! Is it game and do you feed all raw? Sounds as if you are quite committed to a full raw diet. Well done - you should be set for a while now.

Awesome prices! I just carted home 930lbs of meat for the dogs. Hopefully it will last almost a year. :-)

I'm getting mine from the grocery that caters more to Hispanic customers and they order the turkey necks for me. The regularly carry chicken feet, gizzards and necks and occasionally backs.

I cut the turkey necks in half with my new hedge lopper and then freeze them, so they actually get a half neck each time. I wrap the chicken parts in waxed paper before I freeze them to make life easier.

MIne have gotten to where they sneer at thawed food - the wiggly skin freaks them out :) Sometimes I will toss them on a VERY hot grill just for a few seconds to sear the skin, but generally they get them frozen solid....OUTSIDE only!

Raw bones are no problem - it's the cooked bones that you want to avoid.

The cheapest I've found is $1.49 lbs for chicken necks! I've tried turkey necks, but Lady treats them more like chew toys rather than a meal.

Do you feed them whole, raw chicken thighs? I've never let Lady have the bone, just wondering how that would go over with her.

Also wanted to get your opinion on leaving the skin on. One place I get the necks from keeps the skin on. Lady likes them just as much, but it does take her a bit longer to eat them.

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart