Feeding Our New Girl!

Guest Zizi

As you know she won't be here till the 19th. I have spoken to her foster mom to see what her current food is. She is feeding her purina dog chow!

Well I want to start her on iams green bag just got my current boy switched over would like both on the same food.

Now I am wondering when she arrives should I put her on a bland diet for a few dads and introduce the iams that way? Her foster mom said she does have pudding poo sometimes but not always. I do not want to keep her on purina. But want to give her tummy as little stress as possible.

Should I do the bland than work in iams or do iams mixed with purina?

Any ideas would be great!

I'd just start the IAMS and be done with it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Depends on why she still has diarrhea. If it's a medical problem (worms, for instance), then changing her food gradually or not won't make a difference in her poop. If she's having bad poop because of the food she's on, then again, just switching probably won't make it any worse, and could help. The only "bad" scenario would be if she's having a food intolerance issue or a sensitive tummy issue. Then, you want to do a gradual switchover to mitigate any stress on her system.

Usually, a switch of food involves gradually mixing in and replacing the old kibble with the new over the course of two weeks of so. I would investigate the cause of her problem before I would switch her.

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

I know conventional wisdom says to switch food gradually, and maybe this makes sense if they are doing well on the current food and you want to switch for other reasons (financial, old food is no longer available, etc). But, to me, if their current food isn't working, why keep feeding it? I have always just switched, and never had a problem. I would get her checked for worms, but otherwise, I would just start feeding her what you want her to eat.

Will check for worms for sure! I will be making an appointment with our vet for her. Just want to have her looked over and samples checked!

Ok so just start the iams? No rice and chicken mixed in.

Can't wait 41/2 more days. Yippppppyyyyyyy

Just start the IAMS :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.