B-Type Lymphoma Treatment Options

Guest lsoderbe

Guest lsoderbe

Hello all,

I'm a newly registered member here, but I've been a greyhound owner for 5 years. My sweet girl's name is Margot, and she is just shy of 10 years old.

Last Friday I received the shocking news that she has Lymphoma. She seems healthy and energetic, so such a grave diagnosis was obviously a huge blow. We visited a local vet oncologist earlier this week, and her lymphoma was determined to be B-Type. At the recommendation of our vet, she was given Elspar that day, and she seems to have responded well to it. The three lymph nodes that had noticeably grown larger due to her cancer are already back to a normal size.

My husband and I are trying to determine the best treatment regimen for her, but unfortunately, money is an issue for us. We'd love to pursue the most aggressive and effective chemo protocol (CHOP), but the $5000-6000 it would cost is just not in our budget. Single-drug chemo protocols were also given to us as options, but would still cost $3000-$4000. Additionally, we will be moving from our current home in Arizona to Minnesota in August due to my husband's job. I don't know if this would be a problem or not, but if we were to pursue chemo treatment, the move would take place right in the middle of the protocol.

I know that there are no easy answers for what we should do, but I'd be grateful to hear about anyone's experiences with treating lymphoma in greyhounds. Additionally, if anyone has any advice about how we should proceed, I would appreciate it. I have been doing tons of online research, and I have left a message requesting further information/help with OSU's Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. I am hoping to hear back from them soon.

Thank you in advance for any advice/support. This ordeal has already been absolutely heart-wrenching.

I would recommend a search for lymphoma in this forum. You will probably find some experiences with it.

I am commenting mostly because no one else has yet. I chose not to go the route of chemo and went with steroid treatment. We got some extra time and made the most of it. It was a choice we made based on our thoughts on chemo efficacy for prolonging quality of life.

This is a terrible situation to be in, I am sorry. Again, I would highly recommend reading what others have been through. :grouphug

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest lsoderbe

Hi Inugrey,

Thanks for your response. I have actually spent a good portion of the afternoon reading through lymphoma-related threads here, and it has been very helpful. Although I wouldn't wish this disease on any dog, it's great to know that there's a community of people here on Greytalk (like you!) who have been in our shoes and dealt with the choices we are now facing.

We had initially decided to take a route similar to yours (prednisone and making the most of the months we have left with Margot), but our oncologist has told us that she is a great candidate for chemo and that it will be the best option for keeping her comfortable longer. With this information, our treatment choice has become much harder and more confusing. I just want to do what's best for her, and I'm not sure what that really is anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words and thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Guest budsmom

You may want to contact OSU. I believe that one of our GPA-WI adopters did about her hound with lymphoma and OSU helped by providing some of the chemo drugs for free. The U of MN is also a great place for cancer treatment, once you get to MN.

All I know about lymphoma is that some varieties respond really well to chemo :) and others don't :( . Hoping you can get enough info to make a decision that you're comfortable with. Hugs and best luck to you and your girlie!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lsoderbe

Hi all,

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts and support. I heard back from Dr. Couto today, and he said that OSU would be able to help with Margot's chemotherapy treatment. I am thrilled and hopeful that with this new development, we will be able to provide Margot with the chemotherapy to effectively push her lymphoma into remission. I'm grateful to have the U of MN available to help us finish her treatment protocol after we relocate to Minneapolis. Although the diagnosis of Margot's lymphoma could not have come at a worse time, it seems that everyone we have encountered has been extremely helpful and accomodating in helping us find a way to get her effective treatment despite our impending move.

Thanks again for all the positive energy. Margot has been doing extremely well so far, and her lymph nodes have reduced to normal size with the initial administration of Elspar earlier this week, so we are staying hopeful. :)

That's wonderful news. Hope your girl continues to feel well for a long, long time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm really sorry to hear about your girl's diagnosis. I lost my girl Beanie in March after a difficult battle with this awful cancer. I pray that things are more successful for you and Margot and you gets all the help you need to help her fight this.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest lsoderbe

Inugrey, I'm sorry that you were unable to get chemo from OSU for your pup. Based on what I had read here on Greytalk, I expected that they would turn us away, too, since we aren't dealing with osteo. Makes me wonder what their evaluation process entails...

Thanks for the encouragement, Batmom and 4my2greys. We're starting the protocol tomorrow, and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I am hopeful that this is the right choice for Margot, and I seriously hope that the chemo will not cause her too much stress or discomfort. I guess all we can do at this point is give it a try and pray for the best.