Male Incontinence

Hi, Wylie just turned 10 and has been having intermittent leaking while he's laying down (awake or asleep, day or night). He's always had a few drips here & there, and licks there occasionally, but lately we'll find much bigger spots, leaking through to the couch or the bed. I tried a belly band, but it happens so intermittently/randomly, that the band has stayed dry. I also started giving him cranberry pills. Just wondering if there's anything else I can do before vet visit.

Thanks!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Others may have some good ideas on what to do before you decide on a vet visit.

Proin might be suggested by your vet to treat incontinence. It works well for many dogs. However, be sure to have Wylie tested for hypertension before giving the Proin.

Fiona recently became incontinent. We asked to have her tested for Hypertension before putting her on Proin. It turned out she had extremely high readings and is now on two medications for blood pressure. The Proin could have caused a stroke and is not advised for dogs with blood pressure issues.

Just something to think about in the event that this is mentioned for Wylie as treatment. Our Hobbes had a stroke a week after starting Proin and the neurologist said the Proin was the cause. We weren't aware at the time of the issues with hypertension.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

As best you can, keep track of who drinks how much when, and when the leakage incidents occur. Even if you have to log "2pm, 2 cups water gone, culprit unknown," that can give you some idea of whether the leakage is tied to a big drink followed by a serious nap.

I would check blood pressure even if you don't plan to use Proin. High bp can contribute to leakage.

Chemistry panel (bloodwork) and first-of-the-morning urine sample would be good. Make sure vet palpates bladder to check for stones.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

As best you can, keep track of who drinks how much when, and when the leakage incidents occur. Even if you have to log "2pm, 2 cups water gone, culprit unknown," that can give you some idea of whether the leakage is tied to a big drink followed by a serious nap.

I would check blood pressure even if you don't plan to use Proin. High bp can contribute to leakage.

Chemistry panel (bloodwork) and first-of-the-morning urine sample would be good. Make sure vet palpates bladder to check for stones.

Good luck!

Thanks for mentioning the connection with blood pressure & leakage. Fiona is taking DES but it didn't seem to be working (thus the suggestion of Proin). Since she started on the bp medication, she has been mostly dry. We wondered if getting the hypertension under control was the reason.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'd do a urine culture for sure along with a urinalysis.

Also, my Larry will have accidents if he starts to have too much protein in his food (he does have some minor kidney issues with elevated blood creat and decreased urine specific gravity) or if he gets something he is allergic too. With that in mind, have you changed dog food/treats and if you did, does it have more protein or maybe he's allergic to one of the ingredients. Dietary allergies usually cause diarrhea but with Larry, I have also noticed that it also increases the urine output and maybe that is because he is drinking more water.